If you like Greek food, I am sure you are a fan of lemon rice soup. We call ahead to our local Greek restaurant just to make sure they are serving it on that particular night. If not, its not worth going...we really love this soup that much! So you can imagine my excitement when I found out I could make my own lemon rice soup in the crock pot!!
There are only a couple ingredients in this soup but you need to make sure you mix them correctly and in the correct order.
- 4 (10oz) cans Chicken Broth
- 1/2 cup uncooked long grain rice (not instant rice)
- 3 egg yolks
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice (I squeezed juice from 1.5 lemons)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 teaspoon ground white pepper
1. Put broth and rice in the crock pot and cook on HIGH for 2-3 hours or until rice is cooked. I cooked mine for exactly 3 hours.
2. In a separate bowl, whisk together egg yolks and lemon juice.
3. Take one cup of broth from the crock pot and slowly add it to the bowl of egg/lemon juice mixture. As you are adding the broth make sure you are continually stirring with your whisk.
4. Now add the bowl of broth/egg/lemon juice mixture back into the crock pot. Again be sure to stir as your are adding the ingredients back into the crock pot. Cover and cook on LOW for 10 minutes.
5. Season with salt and pepper and serve!
I like to let my soup cool and thicken a little before eating it. And it was absolutely wonderful! My only complaint is that there isn't enough! We wanted lots of leftovers but had no such luck :)