Crochet Minion Hat Pattern

We are a little late to the Despicable Me fan club but I am happy to say we now own both movies and my boys are loving the minions! I’ve had a lot of requests for a minion hat pattern and coincidentally, the day that I bought the yarn for these hats, big brother came up to me and said “Mommy, I wish I had a minion costume.” Can you believe it!? Perfect timing!

– Worsted weight yarn. I used Lion Brand Vanna’s Choice in these colors: Mustard (yellow), Colonial Blue, Silver Grey, Black, Honey (brown) and White.
– Size H Crochet hook
– Tapestry needle

Abbreviations:
Magic Ring Tutorial
SC = Single Crochet
SC Decrease = Single Crochet Decrease
HDC = Half Double Crochet

Gauge: 4″ across = 15 stitches, 4″ height = 12 rows

NOTE: Feel free to add rows to the bottom of the hat if it is coming out too short. I am a loose crocheter and my Child size hat came out too big but some of you may need the extra rows if you crochet tighter.

Size: 0-3 months

starting with yellow yarn…
Magic Ring, chain 1, 9 HDC in ring, join, chain 1
Round 2: Work 2 HDC into each st around, join, chain 1 (18 HDC)
Round 3: 2 HDC in first stitch, HDC in next, Repeat around, join, chain 1 (27 HDC)
Round 4: 2 HDC in first stitch, HDC in next 2, Repeat around, join, chain 1 (36 HDC)
Round 5: 2 HDC in first stitch, HDC in next 3, Repeat around, join, chain 1 (45 HDC)
(Rounds 6,7,8 should be done with black yarn. Switch back to yellow after round 8)
Round 6 -14: HDC in each stitch around, join, chain 1 (45 HDC)
Do not fasten off, continue on earflaps as written below.

Size: 3-6 months

starting with yellow yarn…
Magic Ring, chain 1, 9 HDC in ring, join, chain 1
Round 2: Work 2 HDC into each st around, join, chain 1 (18 HDC)
Round 6: 2 HDC in first stitch, HDC in next 8, Repeat around, join, chain 1 (50 HDC)
(Rounds 7,8,9 should be done with black yarn. Switch back to yellow after round 9)
Round 7 -15: HDC in each stitch around, join, chain 1 (50 HDC)
Do not fasten off, continue on earflaps as written below.

Size: 6-12 months

starting with yellow yarn…
Magic Ring, chain 1, 9 HDC in ring, join, chain 1
Round 2: Work 2 HDC into each st around, join, chain 1 (18 HDC)
Round 6: 2 HDC in first stitch, HDC in next 4, Repeat around, join, chain 1 (54 HDC)
(Rounds 8,9,10 should be done with black yarn. Switch back to yellow after round 10)
Round 7 -17: HDC in each stitch around, join, chain 1 (54 HDC)
Do not fasten off, continue on earflaps as written below.

Size: Toddler/Preschooler
starting with yellow yarn…
Magic Ring, chain 1, 9 HDC in ring, join, chain 1
Round 2: Work 2 HDC into each st around, join, chain 1 (18 HDC)
Round 7: HDC around, join, chain 1 (54 HDC)
Round 8: 2 HDC in first stitch, HDC in next 8, Repeat around (60 HDC)
(Rounds 9,10,11 should be done with black yarn. Switch back to yellow after round 11)
Round 9 -18: HDC in each stitch around, join, chain 1 (60 HDC)
Do not fasten off, continue on earflaps as written below.

Size: Child
starting with yellow yarn…
Magic Ring, chain 1, 9 HDC in ring, join, chain 1
Round 2: Work 2 HDC into each st around, join, chain 1 (18 HDC)
Round 7: HDC around, join, chain 1 (54 HDC)
Round 8: 2 HDC in first stitch, HDC in next 8, Repeat around (60 HDC)
Round 9: 2 HDC in first stitch, HDC in next 29, Repeat around, join, chain 1 (62 HDC)
(Rounds 10, 11, 12 should be done with black yarn. Switch back to yellow after round 12)
Round 10 -20: HDC in each stitch around, join, chain 1 (62 HDC)
Do not fasten off, continue on earflaps as written below.

Size: Teen/Adult

starting with yellow yarn…
Magic Ring, chain 1, 9 HDC in ring, join, chain 1
Round 2: Work 2 HDC into each st around, join, chain 1 (18 HDC)
Round 7: HDC around, join, chain 1 (54 HDC)
Round 8: 2 HDC in first stitch, HDC in next 8, Repeat around (60 HDC)
Round 9: 2 HDC in first stitch, HDC in next 9, Repeat around, join, chain 1 (66 HDC)
(Rounds 11, 12, 13 should be done with black yarn. Switch back to yellow after round 13)
Round 10 -21: HDC in each stitch around, join, chain 1 (66 HDC)
Do not fasten off, continue on earflaps as written below.

Earflaps for 0-3 months – Preschooler
Earflap 1:

Chain 1, SC in next 10, chain 1, turn
Row 2: SC decrease, SC in next 6, SC decrease, chain 1, turn
Row 3: SC across (8 SC)
Row 4: SC decrease, SC in next 4, SC decrease, chain 1, turn
Row 5: SC across ( 6 SC)
Row 6: SC decrease, SC in next 2, SC decrease, chain 1, turn
Row 7: SC across (4 SC)
Row 8: Make 2 SC decreases, chain 1, turn
Row 9: SC decrease, fasten off, weave in ends

Earflap 2:

See my PUPPY HAT PATTERN if you need help on where to place the second earflap.
Chain 1, SC in next 10, chain 1, turn
Row 2: SC decrease, SC in next 6, SC decrease, chain 1, turn
Row 3: SC across (8 SC)
Row 4: SC decrease, SC in next 4, SC decrease, chain 1, turn
Row 5: SC across ( 6 SC)
Row 6: SC decrease, SC in next 2, SC decrease, chain 1, turn
Row 7: SC across (4 SC)
Row 8: Make 2 SC decreases, chain 1, turn
Row 9: SC decrease, fasten off, weave in ends

With blue yarn, attach and SC around the entire bottom edge of the hat (including earflaps). Fasten off and weave in ends. Cut 6 long strands (of blue), pull yarn halfway through last loop of the earflaps (you now have 12 strands). Knot, braid and knot again at the end of your braid. Trim ends of braided tails so yarn is even. Do this for both earflaps.

Earflaps for Child – Adult
Earflap 1:

Chain 1, SC in next 12, chain 1, turn
Row 2: SC decrease, SC in next 8, SC decrease, chain 1, turn
Row 3: SC across (10 SC)
Row 4: SC decrease, SC in next 6, SC decrease, chain 1, turn
Row 5: SC across ( 8 SC)
Row 6: SC decrease, SC in next 4, SC decrease, chain 1, turn
Row 7: SC across ( 6 SC)
Row 8: SC decrease, SC in next 2, SC decrease, chain 1, turn
Row 9: SC across (4 SC)
Row 10: Make 2 SC decreases, chain 1, turn
Row 11: SC decrease, fasten off, weave in ends

Earflap 2:
See my PUPPY HAT PATTERN if you need help on where to place the second earflap.
Chain 1, SC in next 12, chain 1, turn
Row 2: SC decrease, SC in next 8, SC decrease, chain 1, turn
Row 3: SC across (10 SC)
Row 4: SC decrease, SC in next 6, SC decrease, chain 1, turn
Row 5: SC across ( 8 SC)
Row 6: SC decrease, SC in next 4, SC decrease, chain 1, turn
Row 7: SC across ( 6 SC)
Row 8: SC decrease, SC in next 2, SC decrease, chain 1, turn
Row 9: SC across (4 SC)
Row 10: Make 2 SC decreases, chain 1, turn
Row 11: SC decrease, fasten off, weave in ends

Minion Eye Pattern: (make one or two)

starting with black yarn…
Magic ring, chain 1 and make 6 HDC in ring, join
change to brown yarn
Round 2: chain 1, 2 HDC in each stitch around, join (12 HDC)
change to white yarn
Round 3: chain 1, 2 HDC in each stitch around, join, chain 1 (24 HDC)
Round 4: 2 HDC in first stitch, HDC in next, repeat around, join (36 HDC)
change to gray yarn
Round 5: HDC in each stitch around, join, fasten off (36 HDC)

Leave long tails out of the black and the white. Use a tapestry needle to sew the eye on in the middle of the black stripe.
For a smaller eye, use SC instead of HDC

Minion Hair:
Knot black yarn on top of head. Make sure to do it randomly and sparingly. Trim.

Minion Mouth:
With black yarn, stitch on a mouth… You can use the same technique to sew on the mouth as I did with my puppy dog hat. This also shows you how to sew on embellishments such as eyes which will also be helpful for the minion hat! Here is the video:

Stay tuned for an Edith hat pattern!

*** You may make and sell products from my patterns but if you do I ask that you link back to my post. Please do not copy and post this pattern and claim it as your own. Please do not re-publish photos as your own.***
Want more free patterns? Keep in touch on my Repeat Crafter Me Facebook Page for new pattern sneak peeks and when they will be available on my blog! And feel free to post pictures of your finished hats and/or links to your shops on my Facebook wall so all can see.

Comments

So I made a minion hat last night following your pattern (adult size), but the hat turned out to small. I usually make hat using the puppy hat pattern and they are just right in size. For my next minion hat I'm thinking to increase one more round after round 6 so the whole hat will be a bit wider. And I can't wait to make the Edith hat!! Thanks for your wonderfull patterns.

Hmm, interesting because my child size hat turned out too big. But I do see others are having the same problem. I just added the gauge of my hat to the post. It may be because I am a loose crocheter as someone mentioned in the comments below. Of course feel free to add rows if it's ending up too short! My patterns can always be used as a starting point. Glad you are enjoying my blog! Thanks for all the helpful feedback!

hello Sarah, just wondering if you can post your gauge because it seems as if my gauge might be off because my hat is coming out small. Keep up the great work, I love your blog and all your freebies especially your patterns. YOU ROCK GIRL!

Thanks so much for sharing your great patterns!! When crocheting into the next stitch, do you go through both loops, or back loop/outside loop only? Thanks!

reallt in need of the guage for this, everything is running small, and very short on the head. I find myself adding 5 extra rows. im assuming that you are a 'loose crocheter' and I shuld go up a size

Vanna's Choice yarn is a heavier worsted weight so you might want to consider that if you are using a different brand. Also like Sarah said, some crochet tight and some loose. I usually have to modify patterns to fit my style of crocheting and sometimes to fit the type of yarn I'm using.

You have such cute patterns. I've noticed that all of your hat patterns start with the magic ring and this is something that I just can't seem to do, as much as I try. Is there an alternative to a magic circle?

There is an alternative. Just chain 5, slip stitch to beginning chain, and do as many stitches required in the loop. The only advantage you have doing the magic circle is that you can tighten the circle to close when you have finished your stitches. This prevents a gap in the center of the top of the hat.

thank you! starting minion hats for my 2 yr old twin boys today, then the edith hat for their older sister…so excited! love your patterns! I made the unicorn for my daughters stocking this year. me and another mom I park by are crocheters. we were comparing patterns we were working on, and she was making your owl hats for all the little cousins in her family. this year I am making 2 of every hat I plan to make. one for the person I have it planned for, and one for my stash for next fall. my daughter is a girl scout and wants to do a hat drive for kids next fall (she's a kindergartener) and asked if I would make fun hats to contribute. who could say no to that? her reasoning: just because you don't have a lot of money or a home, doesn't mean you don't want a cool hat. small person, big heart! these patterns all work up so quick, I usually get one a week done just while waiting to pick her up from school! thanks again!

Hey! Love your patterns! I normally use DC to make all of my base hats according to your Owl Hat pattern. I'd been looking to make them tighter/warmer using HDC, but didn't know how to make the conversion. I was excited to see that this one uses HDC, but I have had some difficulty with the sizing. I am a loose crocheter too & with your other patterns I have to use a G hook instead of your recommend H hook. For this one I'm confused. I've tried the smaller hook, but the Child hat I made is too long. Just wondering if you made changes to your original pattern because others were complaining of the sizing being too small. I would love to know what the original was. Thank you so much for all your hard work. You do a fantastic job!

Thought I'd let you know I figured it out. Not sure where I went wrong the first couple of times. Love the HDC pattern. Makes the hat feel so much warmer. Thanks again for sharing.

I was trying to follow the pattern but it was a little complicated and the size came out way too small. So small that it barely fit a baby doll head. I'm not sure where I went wrong. :(

I can only get 27 HDC in round 3 if I finish in the stitch with my chain from the previous row. What am I doing wrong, or is that the way it should be?? I love this pattern and am so excited to finish!1 Thank you for your patterns!!

I want to thank you for all your wonderful free hat patterns. I've been making a bunch of hats that I'm going to donate to our local CareNet Pregnancy Center. I really appreciate that you have such cute patterns for free and they are easy to follow. With the long hard winter we've been having, I've had plenty of time to crochet and your hats are a fun project. Thanks!

I love your patterns. I was just hired as a Crochet instructor at a local craft store. I would like to have a special class and teach how to make a minion hat and puppy hat. Please I am hoping you will give permission for me to use your patterns. They would not be published on the website. They would only be distributed at class

Ps. Of course you will get full credit for the pattern and I can put a link for your website. Thank you so much for offering your patterns free to help people learn to crochet such beautiful items.

Sizing & gauge issues aside….I love these hats! I've just finished a second set. Four very happy kids! Back to the sizing issues, making a swatch & several trial runs before Finishing an entire project is helpful. It's Easier to start over at the beginning with another size hook.

I also crochet loosely and the hats come out too big for me… I usually just make one size down from what I need (ie- for a child I make the toddler/preschooler). I love this hat! I've made about 10 already… Everytime I make one another friend or family member seems to want one :) Thanks for the pattern!

Just finished one of these for my boy – I didn't have any worsted yarn (I think that's aran in UK terms?) so I used 2 strands of DK with a 6mm hook and the "child" size turned out just right (he's 4, but has a humongous head!). Looks great, and will be making the Edith one for my daughters next :-)

I made this for my 4 mnth old it fit.perfect on his head. I will be doing my 1 year old one too. Sooo cute!!! Thankz for the free pattern.

I really appreciate you sharing this pattern. I'm fairly new to crochet but I was able to follow this with no problems! The hat turned out so adorable.

In the 6-12 month its missing the row to hdc in same and then hdc 8 to make hat size the size it should be. Maybe mine more after that? 2 hdc and then hdc 16?

That's so funny because I have the same results (with my gauge being right), but the hat always feels way too big/loose. I always end up going down a size with my hook. I also use a "head measurement chart" to double check the size and then just stop increasing (or add more rows of increases) depending on what the measurements is/needs to be.

Hi Sarah,
    I love your patterns and use them all the time so thank you thank you! I was just wondering why you always seem to have a row of non-increases (usually row 7) followed by more rows with increases…depending on the size? What does this actually do for the fit of the hat, as I don't think I've noticed any other hat patterns that do this?
    Thanks!

I love your hat patterns, and so do my grandkids! I adapted your Minion hat to create an evil minion for one of my granddaughters per my daughter's request. I pinned it to Pinterest.

I just finished this hat for my 18 month old son. I used the toddler/preschooler size and it barely fits. I noticed it is really short in the back between the ear flaps. Is there a way to add more rows only in the back? This was my first ever crochet project and it was very easy to follow along :) thank you so much for sharing your patter!

Thanks so much for posting all these patterns. I'm making a hat for all the little ones at church. Your patterns have garnered me potfuls of hugs from excited recipients. I've made four of these minion hats and they are so easy with your instructions. I made a toddler cupcake by using your gingerbread hat to get the number of rows to turn out I've made several of your other patterns – you are my first place to look for a pattern. You are amazing! The only one I changed was to use a single crochet circle for the Thing 1 and Thing 2 – it was easier to embroider letters on a denser circle – yes I embroidered with a double strand as the slip stich thing was beyond me when it came to making the letters. You are amazing!

I just made two for a client, they are adorable. I did find, like many earflap hats, that by having the same length all the way around, it will seem short on the back of the head. You can make the whole hat a bit longer to solve this, but then it might get too long for the front. Or, plan where the earflaps will be and add some short rows across the back. I was, however, disappointed with the instructions for the second earflap. I know ears aren't exactly in the middle of the head; usually the back gap is smaller than the front gap…but I see mine are placed different than yours, and I worry my back gap is too big. A bit more instruction here would be very helpful for new hat creators :) I also did find I had to make the eyes with single crochet for the smallest sizes.

Thank you so much for sharing your patterns! You have so many cute hat patterns. I made the penguin hat for my sister and niece and they got a lot of compliments. How long does it usually take you to crochet a hat like this? Thank you again!

I love your blog, I have just started to crochet hats myself and I find I am using your patterns a lot. I have had several ask me where I get the patterns, and I send them to here. The patterns are very clear! Love it!

I too found the hat to be on the small side. I added a few rows to the bottom to give it enough length for one size smaller than I made (fits toddler, followed child pattern). I will adjust any future hats that I make, thank you for sharing. Right in time for the Minion Movie :)

Sarah, I just can't ever thank you enough for being so gracious in sharing your patterns with us. I know it takes your time and efforts and I again thank you so much. My friend had twin grandbabies last week and I want to make them for them and their two older boys for the fall. Will be looking more on you blog too, I keep forgetting there are other things besides crocheting, haha.

29. Alexandria says

Thank you Sarah for all the free patterns! I just wanted to give you a note about your minion hat for size 3-6 months and 6-9 months. I made both hats and the 3-6 months turned out too small. I used size H hook but I didn’t check my gauge. I found out for the 6-9 months that if I add an extra increase row before I change to the black yarn it turns out to be the right size. I would think that you could do the same for the 3-6 month pattern. Once again thank you for the free patterns!! I love them all and I can’t wait till I have time to make them. I check your blog everyday and I can’t wait to see what you have in store! :)

30. Kathy says

I love this pattern! My neighbor’s 3 year old boy loves the minions. I can’t wait to make one of these fun hats for him. Thank you for the pattern!