You can slow cook a whole chicken with ingredients that you probably already have on hand! This is a great way to get tender falling-off-the-bone chicken that is great for a family meal. Use the left overs for chicken sandwiches and you can even leave the bones in the pot to make chicken stock!
2 tsp kosher salt
2 tsp paprika
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp thyme
1 tsp white pepper
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp black pepper
– 2 cloves garlic, peeled and smashed
– 1 bay leaf
– 1 lemon
Really just use whatever spices you have! No need to add lemon if you don’t have one. You can also add celery, parsley, and other spices or veggies you want!
1. In separate bowl, combine spices to create a rub.
2. Cut onion and place, onion, and carrots at bottom of crock pot.
3. Rub chicken with spice mixture and cut the lemon in half (or quarters) and place into chicken cavity. Place garlic in chicken as well. You can tie the legs together with kitchen twine.
4. Place chicken on top of carrots and onions.
5. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours. The larger the chicken the longer it needs to cook. I actually cooked my 5.5lb chicken over night for 9 hours and it turned out so tender and perfect!! No need to add water! It will create its own broth.
If you want to crisp up the skin, transfer the chicken to a oven safe dish and put it under the broiler for about 5 minutes before serving.