If you like Greek food, I am sure you are a fan of lemon rice soup. We call ahead to our local Greek restaurant just to make sure they are serving it on that particular night. If not, its not worth going…we really love this soup that much! So you can imagine my excitement when I found out I could make my own lemon rice soup in the crock pot!!
There are only a couple ingredients in this soup but you need to make sure you mix them correctly and in the correct order.
– 4 (10oz) cans Chicken Broth
– 1/2 cup uncooked long grain rice (not instant rice)
– 3 egg yolks
– 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice (I squeezed juice from 1.5 lemons)
– 1/4 teaspoon salt
– 1/3 teaspoon ground white pepper
1. Put broth and rice in the crock pot and cook on HIGH for 2-3 hours or until rice is cooked. I cooked mine for exactly 3 hours.
2. In a separate bowl, whisk together egg yolks and lemon juice.
3. Take one cup of broth from the crock pot and slowly add it to the bowl of egg/lemon juice mixture. As you are adding the broth make sure you are continually stirring with your whisk.
4. Now add the bowl of broth/egg/lemon juice mixture back into the crock pot. Again be sure to stir as your are adding the ingredients back into the crock pot. Cover and cook on LOW for 10 minutes.
5. Season with salt and pepper and serve!
I like to let my soup cool and thicken a little before eating it. And it was absolutely wonderful! My only complaint is that there isn’t enough! We wanted lots of leftovers but had no such luck 🙂
this sounds delicious.. i will try to make this this weekend
Hi there. Food on Friday is all about soup! So it would be great if you linked this in. This is the link . Have a good week.
Jennifer Gilbert says
Yum! I am so glad I checked your blog tonight..lol. I will definitely be making this sometime this week! Thank you!
Lovely dish. Thanks for linking it in to Food on Friday: Soup. I have just signed up to follow you. A follow back to Carole's Chatter would be wonderful – or are you already following? Cheers
Addicted to Recipes says
I have never heard of Lemon Rice Soup before…which is really strange because one of my best friends is Greek and we have been to many Greek parties over the years (weddings, baptisms, birthdays, new years, just because we want to throw plates and dance parties, etc). In fact, my husband and I are usually the only non-Greek guests at these parties (and therefore we've been told that we are honorary Greeks…LOL). Never have I had this kind of soup! I will totally be asking my friend about it. Sounds tasty! And I am on a huge crock pot kick right now! (we have the exact same crock pot!)
PS…after all of that…I'm featuring your recipe this week at Addicted to Recipes! Congrats Sarah!
It’s a staple in Northwest Indiana too! I hear you can’t even get lemon rice soup in other parts of the state and my friends who have moved away miss it!!
I LOVE lemon soup! I crave it all the time. I'm definitely eying your recipe. Pinned for future reference!
Sherri Gregory says
Have you ever doubled it?
I’m doubling it tonight for the 1st time….we never have enough!!! This is my fave go-to but I combine veg broth with no chicken-chicken broth and use a vegan egg replacer and it always turns out delish! Even my non-vegams love it!
How could I add uncooked chicken to this? (I'm a crockpot novice!). Thanks!
Stephanie Smith says
How many servings does this make?
shirley paul says
can you make this ahead of time and keep it for 24 hours?
I added celery, onion, and parsley!
اتاق فرار says
good recipe u shared there with us
water secure says