Tuna Noodle Casserole has always been one of my favorite dishes, but I think it’s one of those things that you either love or hate. I happen to love it, my hubby happens to hates it. So lucky for him, he was out of town this week when I decided to make it :o)
I altered this recipe from Food.com to my taste. You could use this as a starting point and customize it to your liking as well. Such as adding in peas or mushrooms or sprinkling cheese on top. Here is my version.
4 cups egg noodles
1 10 ¾ ounce can condensed cream of mushroom soup
1/4 cup water
1/3 cup onion, finely chopped (I only had frozen chopped onions and sautéed them first)
2 cans drained tuna
1/2 cup sour cream
1. Cook noodles according to package and drain.
2. Spray crock pot with cooking spray. Pour in cream of mushroom soup and water. Mix together.
3. In a bowl, mix noodles, tuna, and onion (save the sour cream for later).
4. Pour into crock pot and stir.
5. Cook on high 1.5-2 hours.
6. During last half hour add in sour cream and mix well.
Optional: Sprinkle 1/2 cup bread crumbs mixed with a tablespoon melted butter on top.
I had no doubts that this would come out wonderfully! The edges even crisped up a little, just as they would do in the oven. The advantage of cooking this in the slow cooker is that you can leave it with peace of mind, run some errands and come home to a hot meal.