I decided to try this recipe again but made some alterations. As you can see from the original pictures at the bottom of this post, the caramel sauce isn’t quite done…not a super dark caramel color or thick enough texture…. still yummy but not picture perfect or guest-worthy dessert I was imagining. I found that if you first pour the sweetened condensed milk in a mason jar instead of leaving it in the can you are able to actually see if the milk has caramelized!
You can make multiple jars at once which is great for gift giving! Although they do need to be refrigerated so make sure you don’t leave them out or in your pantry.
Also, this time around I set my crock pot to LOW and left it in there for exactly 10 hours. I know that seems like a long time, but you could easily make this overnight, or start your crockpot in the early morning and you will have a delicious treat for after dinner.
– One 14oz can Sweetened Condensed Milk
– One Mason/Canning Jar (I used THIS ONE )
– Crock Pot
– 14 oz can Sweetened Condensed Milk
1. Peel off label and put can in the crock pot.
2. Cover with water and cook on high for 4 hours. EDIT: I think it needs 5-6 hours.
3. Let cool completely before opening.