Here is a project that is great for kids, tweens, teens and adults! Finger weaving (also referred to as finger knitting) is a simple way of forming a complex looking braid. I am going to show you how to finger weave a necklace, but you could make a bracelet or a variety of other projects LIKE THESE.
– One ball of T-shirt Yarn. Tutorial HERE.
– Your fingers 🙂
– Two wooden beads (optional)
1. Leave a long tail when you start (this will be one end of your necklace strap). Place the tail of yarn between your thumb and pointer finger. Now wrap it behind your pointer finger, over your middle finger, behind your ring finger and over your pinky finger.
2. Now wrap the yarn going back through the fingers but this time behind the pinky, over the ring finger, behind the middle finger and over your pointer finger.
3. Weave yarn through fingers again. Behind pointer, over middle, behind ring finger, and over pinky.
4. Weave back through fingers one more time. Behind pinky, over ring finger, behind the middle finger and over your pointer finger.
5. Now take the loop that is at the bottom of your pointer finger and pull it up and over your finger.
6. Continue to pull the bottom loops up and over each finger. The tighter you keep the loops, the tighter your braid will be.
7. After you have pulled the bottom loops over each finger you are left with one loop on each finger like in picture 7.
8. Now weave the yarn over your middle finger, behind ring finger, over pinky finger, and back again (behind pinky, over ring finger, behind middle finger and over pointer finger).
Now you are ready to repeat steps 5-7 and pull bottom loops over your finger, weave yarn around fingers again and keep repeating until necklace (or bracelet!) is at desired length.
Your braid should start to look like this after awhile.
Now here is how to fasten it off when you are finished.
1. Take loop from pointer finger and move it to the top of middle finger.
2. Take bottom loop from middle finger and pull it over.
3. Take remaining loop from middle finger and move it to the top of ring finger.
4. Take bottom loop from ring finger and pull it over.
5. Take remaining loop from ring finger and move it to the top of pinky finger.
6. Take bottom loop from pinky finger and pull it over.
7. You now have one loop left on your pinky finger
8. Slip it off your finger and draw end of yarn through the loop.
You should now have your intricate finger weave braid with one strand of yarn hanging off both ends.
that's totally awesome! I've got to teach my granddaughters that!
Amanda W. says
Wonder if you could do the same technique with a rainbow loom?
Ivonne Cerezo says
Yay, thank you! I will try it. Hopefully will looks as wonderful as yours. x
Patricia Krank says
I LOVE this! I have so many beautifully colored old T's just waiting to be made into lovely necklaces! Thank you so much for sharing the awesome tutorial.
Now siren free says
Do you have more ideas how to use T-shirt yarn? Bet that would be a hit blog — that lot of people would share that info with friends. Summer craft projects for kids needed… Thanks.
Can't wait to try it…thanks for the tutorial.
A is for Anarchist says
Awesome, creative and so clean! Thank you!
komal varshney says
Thanks for sharing
Odette Gardiner says
Enjoy the wonderful and challenging world of Mario, the most famous plumber guy ever. There are many different genres, from the typical Mario Games to running races and even solving puzzles. You can companion with other famous game characters, like Luigi, Yoshi, or even Princess Peach in these adventures. We are happy that you have chosen to play all these famous games on Mario Games, the most dynamic site available.
rajinder nath says
Many people will get lot of benefits by reading this kind of informational stuff. Thank you so much for this .
A really good post man, very thankful and hopeful that you will write many more posts like this one.
Enem Mall says
Check jeans and trouser for boys in trending designs from Enem Mall today.
Trip durations typically range from five to eight days on live-aboard vessels. Officials at Galápagos National Park have established routes in order to reduce visitor numbers and environmental impact. There will be a driving directions weekly switch between northern and southern itineraries (also known as eastern and western itineraries) on your boat. Both provide fantastic shore excursions, sea time, and chances to observe the Galápagos’ renowned wildlife.