Crock Pot Mac and Cheese has been a favorite in our house ever since I made it for the first time back in January of 2012 (you can find the original post HERE)! It’s hands down one of the creamiest, cheesiest, most ooey-gooey mac and cheese ever! One of my favorites for sure. But this time around I set out to make a lower calorie version by swapping the higher fat ingredients for low fat options. I am excited to say that you will get the same great taste with less the fat! The only difference in taste that I could recognize is the whole grain noodles.
– 2 cups whole grain elbow pasta
– 4 tablespoons butter
– 2 1/2 cups grated sharp cheddar cheese
– 1/2 cup light sour cream
– 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can condensed cheddar cheese soup
– 1 cup 2% milk
– 1 teaspoon salt
– 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
– 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1. Boil elbow pasta in water for 6 minutes. Drain and set aside.
2. In saucepan on medium-low, melt butter and grated cheese together. Stir until cheese melts.
3. In Crock Pot, stir together melted cheese, sour cream, cheese soup, salt, milk, mustard, and pepper. Add in the noodles and stir again.
4. Cook on low for 2 hours, stirring occasionally as it cooks (I ended up cooking mine a little less than two hours and stirred 3 times).
Calories: Approx. 400 per serving.
Yes you can absolutely double the recipe!