Sesame Street Nesting Dolls

We have a set of nesting dolls that my Brother-in-law brought back from Russia a couple years ago and big brother has recently discovered them. He has always liked puzzles so it made sense that he was really intrigued by how the nesting dolls fit together.

One day when I shopping on Amazon.com I came across Unpainted Blank Russian Nesting Doll 5pc./6″. I quickly added them to my cart and was excited at the painting possibilities. I settled on Sesame Street themed dolls because they are such classic, timeless characters and little brother has taken a new liking to Elmo this past month.

Let me just start by saying, I didn’t exactly paint these freehand.
I first printed out images of the characters faces and taped them on the dolls. I purposely chose a sequence of red/orange/yellow/green/blue as a way to help teach my preschooler about colors and rainbows.

Then I took a ball point pen and traced the faces, making sure to press firmly.
When I removed the paper I had a nice indented outline.

Using acrylic paints, I painted the background colors first and then made my way from the bottom to the top of the faces. At some points my indented lines got lost and I did have to freehand here and there.

After they completely dried, I used a gloss coating over each piece.
After drying for 24 hours, they are ready for play!
(Note: Due to small pieces and the fact that little brother puts everything in his mouth,
he will not be playing with these until he is older. I recommend supervision during any play time with this toy.)

Comments

Love the blog name! And these are the coolest nesting *dolls* ever! We just learned a little about Russia last week and the concept of Nesting Dolls– my son thought it was really neat and the fact that you made your own is just wayyyyy cool! Great job!

I think I found you before you found me, LOL! I already shared at your party :o) Thank you for giving me the opportunity to link up! I almost wish I had purchased a nesting doll set with more dolls so I could have included Bert, Grover and some of the other characters :)

These came out SO well! I would never have thought of looking at Amazon for the blank Russian Dolls – let alone tracing the faces to create such great-looking final results! Thank you so much for linking this to Drab to Fab Friday! It was perfect! I hope you'll come back and share more of your great stuff next week! (Old or new is always allowed)
    Amy @ Sugar and Spice

These are very cool! My parents brought home a set of nesting dolls for each of my kids from Russia. They have spiderman, shrek, and more. These are as cool as any "original" dolls, and you got to have the fun of making them yourself. Plus you know if the paint you used is safe, some of ours started flaking off immediately (I think the change in humidity) and it scares me a little. :)

Thanks Kimberly! The ones my brother-in-law brought back from Russia are Mariners baseball themed. They are cool, but something about handmade items makes everything more fun and special :o)

This is probably the cutest thing I've ever seen! Love these!! I'm your newest GFC follower :)

Blessings,
    Breena
    mommyknowslife.blogspot.com

This is adorable! I don't have kids, but I struggle to come up with good gift ideas for my many nieces and nephews. This one will for sure cement my place as "favorite aunt" 😉