Crochet Rain Boots

Spring is only 4 days away! And here in the Pacific Northwest, Spring usually brings a lot of rain showers. So get your rain boots on, we are going puddle jumping! Ok, we won’t be jumping in any puddles with these crocheted rain boots, but they are a cute accessory for your pre-walker.

I’ve been working hard all week on this pattern and although I have edited and fine-tuned it numerous times, it may still have some kinks. Please let me know if you have any suggestions or corrections when working it up. I would love to hear your feedback!

Crochet Rain Boots
Size: 6-12 months
Supplies:
Vanna’s Choice® medium worsted weight yarn
Crochet hook size H-8 (5.0 mm)
tapestry needle for weaving in ends
Abbreviations:
ch – chain
SC – Single Crochet
HDC – Half Double Crochet
SC Decrease – Single Crochet decrease (I used the invisible decrease)

UPDATE 9/26/2012. It has come to my attention that there was a glitch in this pattern. I am happy to announce that I have reworked it and it looks like the problem area was in Round 3 and that is what was setting the rest of the pattern off. I have updated the entire pattern and am pretty confident that this will be much easier to follow and that there are no errors!
Please be sure to follow these tips on where I start, stop and join my rounds!
Start your rounds in the same stitch as your chain.

Join your rounds to the first crochet stitch, NOT the chain.
Your last stitch should be in the stitch before your chain with the exception of round 3 where you will end in the stitch where your chain is. See picture below.

Here is the updated pattern!

Chain 11, SC in 2nd chain from hook, SC in next 8, make 5 SC in the last chain
Now working on opposite side, SC 9, join, ch 2.
Round 2: HDC, 2 HDC, HDC in next 6, 2 HDC in next 2, HDC in next 3, 2 HDC in next 2, HDC in next 6, 2 HDC, HDC in last, join, ch 1.
Round 3: SC 10, 2 SC in next 2, 2 HDC in next 6, 2 SC in next 2, SC in next 10, join, ch 1. (in this round only, your last sc will end in the same stitch as your ch 1).
Round 4-5: In back loops only, SC around, join, ch 1. (40 SC)
Round 6-7: Now working in both loops, SC around, join ch 1. (40 SC)
Round 8: SC 12, [SC decrease, SC in next 2] 4 times, SC 12, join, ch 1.
Round 9: SC 14, SC decrease, SC, SC decrease, SC, SC decrease, SC 14, join, ch 1.
Round 10: SC 10, 6 SC decreases, SC 11, join, ch 1.
Round 11: SC 10, 3 SC decreases, SC 11, join, ch 1.
Round 12: SC 8, 4 SC decreases, sc 8, join, ch 1.
Round 13-16: SC around, join, chain 1. (20 SC) (at the end of round 16, change color)
Round 17: SC around in new color, join, ch 1. (20 SC)
Round 18: SC 3, ch 8, skip 5 stitches, SC 5, ch 8, skip 5 stitches, SC 2, join, ch 1.
Round 19: SC 3, SC 10 in 5 chain space, SC 5, SC 10 in 5 chain space, SC 2, join to first SC, ch 1.
Round 20: SC around, join (30 SC)
fasten off and weave in loose ends.

Optional: With the same color you used for the top of the boot, slip stitch around the bottom of the boot. I did this along the first “rim” that was created from crocheting in the back loops.

Fellow crocheter Sarah Craven of Barehooks Crochet, adapted my rain boot pattern into these adorable slippers! And she was willing to share the pattern with me and all of you! Thank you Sarah!! You can find more of Sarah’s projects and patterns under Barehooks on Ravelry. Also be sure to follow her Facebook page Barehooks Crochet!

Chain 11, SC in 2nd chain from hook, SC in next 8, make 5 SC in the last chain
Now working on opposite side, SC 9, join, ch 2.
Round 4: In back loops only, SC around, join, ch 1. (40 SC)
Round 5-6: Now working in both loops, SC around, join ch 1. (40 SC)
Round 7: SC 12, DC 16, SC 12, join, ch 1. (40 SC)
Round 8: SC 12, SC decrease 8 times, SC 12, join, ch 1.
Round 9: SC 12, SC decrease 4 times, SC 12, join
fasten off and weave in loose ends.
Using contrasting color slip stitch around the outside edge.

*** You may make and sell products from my patterns but if you do I ask that you link back to my post. Please do not copy and post this pattern and claim it as your own. Please do not re-publish photos as your own.***

Want more free patterns? Keep in touch on my Repeat Crafter Me Facebook Page for new pattern sneak peeks and when they will be available on my blog!

Comments

Oh my these are so cute!! I wish I knew how to crochet…but it is on my things to learn list:D

Maysem @ odetoinspiration.wordpress.com

Oh how cute! I'm so adding these to my list of must make for my new grandbaby- due in June and a Pacific Northwest baby!!! lol Do you have a pattern for a toddler? I have a 4yr old granddaughter (also in Oregon)and she'd love a pair for house shoes! I'm a new follower via Joyful Treasure Hunting and would love if you'd link these to my Frugal Treasures Tuesday party. Thanks so much for sharing! : )

Thanks for the comment Barbe! Unfortunately, I don't have the pattern for a 4yr old at this time, but maybe that is something I can work on :o) If I come up with that pattern, you will be the first to know! Congrats on your new grand baby! Maybe he/she will be born on my birthday, June 14th!?!

I love those little rain booties, and what about that little diaper bottom. Awwwww,…..so adorable. Thanks so much for sharing at our party this week.

soooooooooooooooo cute! I'm pinning to bookmark the pattern. (I'm busy making mario at the moment for my son, but have a baby on the way… must be fair, right?)

I absolutly LOVE these…….In Louisiana they call them Shrimp Boots. My 2 year old grandson has several pairs. I am going to make these up today for his 3 month old baby sister.

Hi:
    I love the wellingtons!

I don't crochet, but could probably find someone that does.
    If the cast on stitches were divided in two would they be good for a newborn?
    My third grandson is due the middle of May.

Thanks for sharing
    Charlie

Yes, I think if you started out by chaining only half the amount and went from there that it would work. I will have to try it! If you give it a try, let me know how it work :o)

I am going frusterated!!! I have tried like 4 different times now to make these and I am following the directions exactly as it says too and I CANNOT get them to come out right!! Have you heard of anyone else having difficulties???

I have been having the same problem.The boot is not shaped right.Maybe it needs more sc dec at the toe of the boot.Any help will be well appreciated.The ones in the picture are so adorable and I would love to make some look like yours. Thanks so much.

• Anonymous says

The pattern does have a couple glitches. For example, when it says to single crochet in same stitch, don't. If you single crochet in the same stitch, you will end up with way too many stitches. Also, there are some glitches in rows 1-9. I had to either add more stitches or more sc dec's to even things out. As someone who can easily figure out how to fix these things, I really appreciate the free pattern!

THANK YOU!! I am so happy you pointed out the problem spots. I still have this on my to-do list and will try to get a corrected pattern up on the blog in the next couple weeks. In the meantime, I hope others can use your advice and alter the pattern if needed.

9. cq says

The boots are adorable and after 3 tries I almost gave up on making them because they werent coming out right. I read your comments and the anon was right steps 1-9 are glitched after reading that i tried again and it came out perfect. Thank you for this idea my godson will look so cute in these.

These are so cute and the ONLY pair of footwear I've ever had turn out correctly! I found that I had to use the invisible decrease to get my counts right after round 8. But, I learned a new stitch and now have an adorable pair of boots for my baby girl! Thanks so much for sharing your pattern :) I love reading your blog!

Wauw, thank you so much! I have been looking for a patern of these for some time now :) A question, I can't seem to find the patern of the slippers that were made from your patern. Do you have a specific link were I can find it by any change?

Thank you! Jolien

My boots look ridiculous. I did the sole correctly, and my stitch count is correct… But, my boot does not look right. Its shape is wrong & it looks like a wad of yellow yarn. :(
    I'm following the pattern to a "t"! Please, if you know how to fix this, tell me!
    I love these boots! They're precious! (:
    Thank you v. much for the pattern!

Thank you for the sharing. These are lovely booties! By the way, i made one myself and found out they are too small for my little one. Any suggestion on how to make a bigger booties? Sorry, I am a beginner, still learning from the basics.

Thank you!

Phoenix

Thank you so much for this free pattern.
    I'm stucked at row 18-19 though….there's a part that says chain 8 in row 18 but in row 19 it says sc in 5 chain spaces. What happens to the other 3 chains? I skipped them and it made a funny hole. Sorry I lot lost there. Please help? Thanks much!!

R-E-A-L-L-Y appreciate your freebie pattern! :0) Thanks so much. I have a couple relative's having "boy " babies in the next few months and these will make great gifts! :0)

I have done this pattern multiple times but can never get it right! I follow everything perfectly, but my handles are always crooked and off center. Are they supposed to be that way? Please help!

17. Helen says

they look so sweet and worth it.. but I don't get how to do this. I am glad I understand german crocheting patterns let alone english :/ if anyone who reads this can translate it and share (after testing the translated pattern Oo) I would be so pleased. want to make them for my sisters awesome little girl :)

I bet if you used like three strands of plarn they would be waterproof just a thought.I just thought that was a good idea btw i love your blog i was introduced to it by Margo S at my church.
    Good Luck with the baby.

my suggestion to improve this or at least make it better/simpler for some people like me to understand as i am more a visual learner would to put up a video of the stitching in progress i got lost some where and it looked like a mess so I will try again but it will be when i have had more than 2 hrs sleep.

In row 2:HDC in one stitch, 2hdc in one stitch, hdc in the next 6 stitches, 2 hdc in next2, hdc in the next3,2 hdc in the next 2, hdc in the next 6, 2hdc in one stitch, hdc in last stitch, join, ch 1. This worked out well for me. made 3 sets so far. Hope this helps.

Love these adorable boots! However, there still seems to be glitches in the pattern. I'm thinking it might in Rnd 2..The toe of the boot is not forming in the correct place. I think that in the beginning of the round the hdc in next 6 should be less so that the toe starts to form in correct spot.Could you please check this. Thanks!

I'm confused in Rnd 2 as well. The toe part should read 3 HDC in sc (not HDC in next 3). When I added 3 HDC in one sc then the toe began to round off. I can seem to join the end of Rnd 2 either — won't join nicely, more stiches are needed I think …

Hi!!! I just came across your website because I was looking for a Booties crochet pattern for my niece and I have to say your patterns are ADORABLE!!!!!! thank you soooo much!! I love them ALL!!!!! I was wondering if you could help me out though. I just finished this pattern (rain booties 6-12) they came out beautiful but I noticed that my top decreases look a little apart (holes) so I have to ask…. How come yours looks so tight?? Is there a special technique?? Please help..I am afraid now with the fall season the cold will get through in her tiny toes. I really want mine to look like yours. ;-))) Thanks a lot for your reply!!! X

Hey, I'm having the same problems with the invisible decreases. I end up with holes. I've tried crocheting tighter and looser with a few different needle sizes. Did you end up figuring out the solution for the holes?

Question: In the row 18, it says to chain 8, but in the row 19 it says to 10 sc in the chain5 space. So should the chain gap be 8 or 5 chains?
    I love these very much, very cute patterns.

Fantastic pattern! Made one pair with a 5mm hook as you did and am now working on more of a newborn pair with a 4mm hook. So far they look adorable too! Thanks for a wonderful and easy to follow pattern! (And being one of those fabulous people that starts their round in the same space as the chain!)

Not sure if you've answered this question for someone else already but I did your pattern as you wrote it (5 mm hook) and it was perfect!!! Love it. Then I tried it in a bigger hook (5.5 mm) for a bigger size and it looks terrible. Really bulgy on the sides and just…..wrong. Do you have a different pattern for a bigger size (12-18 months)? Same boots but bigger. Thanks.

I made a longer chain, f.e. 20 stitches. and i mad san extra row after row 6. And for a nice look sometimes i added a extra SC in the flat part, till row 5 i think. Otherwise it was not a straight boot…

In your Optional Comment about slip stitching along first rim in blo, do you do this between rows 4 and 5, (adding and extra row), or do you slip stitch over row 4 after the boot is made

I love your blog. I just found yours, and it is so well done, and well written. i am so thankful for people like you who share your creations. Blessings!

Hi there, thank you for the pattern :) these are too cute, I spin my own yarn and was wondering if you know the yardage needed so i can spin enough to make them ?? :) thanks so much!

I am having the same issue as the others with row 2 and thete being an extra stitch, and count very frusterating. I've tried multiple times and same issue each time. also do u turn at the end of each row or are u continuing on in the same direction. St count at the end of every row would be very helpful thanks