Crochet Owl Hat Pattern

I’ve been fine-tuning this pattern for a couple weeks and am excited to share with you my own crochet owl hat pattern! It is newborn size with earflaps and braided tails. As I work on larger sizes I will update this post. I would love to see your finished owl hats so feel free to send me an e-mail or share on my Facebook page.

UPDATE 9/22/12: I have created larger owl hat sizes and they are available HERE!! Sizes range from 3 months – Adult. Enjoy!

Crochet Owl Earflap Hat
Size: Newborn

• Vanna’s Choice® medium worsted weight yarn (I use Barley
and an accent color such as magenta, turquoise, light pink)
• Crochet hook size H-8 (5.0 mm)
• Tapestry needle for weaving in ends
• Two 3/4″ black button for eyes

ch – chain
sl st- slip stitch
SC – Single Crochet
DC- Double Crochet
HDC- Half Double Crochet
HDC Decrease – Half Double Crochet Decrease

Round 1: Magic ring, Chain 2, DC 12 inside ring, joint to 1st DC, chain 2
Round 2: 2 DC in same stitch and in each around, join, chain 2 (24).
Round 3: DC in the same stitch as Chain 2, DC, DC, 2 Dc in next, *DC in next 3, 2 Dc in next, repeat from * around, Join to 1st DC, chain 2. (30)
Round 4: DC in the same stitch as Chain 2, DC, 2 DC in next, *DC in next two, 2 DC in next stitch, repeat from * around, Join to 1st DC, chain 2. (40)
Round 5-7: Beginning in same stitch as Chain 2, DC around, join to 1st DC, chain 2 (40) Note: before joining round 7, change color.
Round 8-9: In new color DC around, join to 1st DC, chain 2 (40)
Do not fasten off, begin first earflap
Earflap 1:
Row 1: Starting in next stitch, HDC 8, chain 2, turn
Row 2: HDC decrease, HDC 4, HDC decrease, chain 2, turn
Row 3: HDC 6, chain 2, turn
Row 4: HDC decrease, HDC 2, HDC decrease, chain 2, turn
Row 5: 2 HDC decreases, chain 2, turn
Row 6: HDC decrease, fasten off leaving long tale
Earflap 2:
Count 9 stitches away from seam.
Row 1: Chain 2, starting in next stitch, HDC 8, chain 2, turn
Row 2: HDC decrease, HDC 4, HDC decrease, chain 2, turn
Row 3: HDC 6, chain 2, turn
Row 4: HDC decrease, HDC 2, HDC decrease, chain 2, turn
Row 5: 2 HDC decreases, chain 2, turn
Row 6: HDC decrease, chain 1 turn (do not fasten off)
Continue to SC around the entire hat, join to first single crochet, fasten off leaving long tail. You should now have a long pieces of yarn hanging from the ends of each earflap. You will use this as a strand in your braid.
Eyes (Make 2):
In first color (this is your accent color):
Magic Ring, Chain 2
Round 1: 10 DC in chain, Change color to white before joining to first DC, chain 2 (10)
Round 2: 2 DC in same stitch and in each stitch around, join, chain 1 (20)
Round 3: SC in same stitch, 2 SC in next, *SC, 2 SC in next, repeat from * around, join to first sc, fasten off leaving long tail to sew on (30)

After sewing crocheted eyes on, sew 3/4″ black button in the center for the eyeballs

Chain 6
Slip stitch in 2nd chain from hook, SC, HDC, DC, DC, fasten off leaving long tail to sew on
Cut two strands of 12 inch long pieces of yarn in each color (6 strands total).
Loop through 2 DC’s in the crease of the 3rd round.
Knot and trim to approx 1″
Braided Tails:
Cut three 1 yard strands of each color (9 strands total).
Pass through last space in earflap. You should now have 18 strands to braid with.
Make knot and braid approx 5.5 inches long, knot, trim ends.

*** You may make and sell products from my patterns but if you do I ask that you link back to my post. Please do not copy and post this pattern and claim it as your own. Please do not re-publish photo’s as your own.***

Want more free patterns? Keep in touch on my Repeat Crafter Me Facebook Page for new pattern sneak peaks and when they will be available on my blog!

I Sarah..I'm Shari and new to your blog.. this is the cutest thing ever. Thanks for sharing. Will come back and visit, and please come see me whenever you can..Have a wonderful day… And great work!

I'm so glad you provided this pattern – I'm new to crochet and my hubby keeps asking me why I can't just come up with this specific pattern, lol – now I don't have to! Thanks so much :)

This is so cute! I am pinning this project. I am gonna make it in newborn size. I have just made some experiment in crocheting newborn hats. This would be an other lovely piece for my niece.
    I am following your blog!

Hey Sweetie… ends up I don't crochet… but I make a great hat model… just sayin :)

Thanks for sharing at The DIY Dreamer.. From Dream To Reality!! xoxo

I think I know what I'm doing tomorrow! My daughter has been BEGGING me for one {she's almost 3 but saw the photo} and even though it's Spring I'm sure she will rock it for a little while. :) Thank you so much for this pattern.

OMG!!! These are so adorable 😀 Thank you for sharing the pattern 😀 I am so going to make some for my little cousin's 😀

Thanks for sharing your owl hat pattern. I appreciate your willingness to help others make things for grandchildren and such!

Love this pattern! Just used it to make a hat for a friend who is having a baby. I was wondering if you've tried out larger sizes? Say 3-6 months?? I'm new to crochet and not sure about playing with the patterns yet.

Thank you for this free pattern! They are adorable!! I'm a beginner crocheter but I'm going to give it a go! I'm excited! Thank you again!! You're amazing!!:)

Hi Karin, I'm happy you found my patterns! Most other patterns tell you to join to the chain, but I like to skip over the "chain 2" and join to the first DC. It hides the seam better this way. Do not crochet in a spiral. I think I might need to do a video tutorial on this :o) Let me know if you have any other questions!

Oh thank you! I meant to delete my comment earlier because I figured it out but I'm glad you commented on it! That makes sense! I made another nb beanie from a different free pattern online and it looked awkward at the seams but I can go back and fix it! I'm almost done with the owl hat! It looks soo cute not like yours tho but I know it will get better and easier with practice! Don't worry I didn't crochet in the spiral that looks confusing! haha I wish I knew more mom's that crafted and crochet! I love your blog btw! too cute! Thanks again! I will post a picture when I can!

those are too cute! I recently learned to crochet, so hopefully I have no problems reading the pattern, but these are definitely going on my list of things to try!

I'm expecting twin boys any day and decided they should have some fun hats. Mine turned out great! Thanks so much for sharing.

can you double a pattern in crochet, or does it not quite work that way? my son is 4, and daughter is 7, and they'd love these!

15. Cheryl Collins says

I'm a newbie when it comes to crochetting but i am determined to get this down..My mother in law is further into her crochetting but not a pro..the only thing we are having trouble understanding with this is * DC in the same stich as chain 2* i dont fully get it.. I want to get this down soooo badly!

Your chain 2 should be in the top of a DC, so just put your DC in those same stitches. So they're in the same spot.

And that sounded really confusing.

• Cindy says

Before you chain two place a marker. Now chain two. Yarn over to start DC and insert hook next to marker. One you do this once you will see where the stitch goes and not need a marker. I am new to crochet too and this little trick worked for me. There are also some great sites on line to explain and show different stitches. For example: I would type in "How do I DC in same stitch as chain" and wa la up comes a picture of how to do it. Hope this helps!

I just made this owl hat, and it was pretty simple. So thank you for the clear instructions! The only thing, I wish I had paid more attention to your finished product, because I didn't overlap the eyes. It's amazing what a difference it makes! I think I'm going to undo the placement because it looks much more "cutesy" overlapped. Thank you again! they're so adorable.

Thanks for your feedback Shawna! Glad the pattern worked well for you. My original owl hats didn't have the eyes overlapping and I completely agree with you that they just don't look as cute. So I made sure they overlapped for this pattern :o)

is there any way you could make them into a knitting pattern- or find someone who could. I cannot crochet but would love to make them. Kate (westozcaat on Ravelry)

Sooooo cute! If we wnat to post them, what do we link to? The site or something else?? Thanks again

!Question! :-) What is the height of this hat before adding the earflaps. I'm working on the newborn size and at row seven I'm at 5" (give or take.) By adding the last two rows it takes the hat to 7". Am I off gauge? Maybe I should switch to a smaller hook size? I'm using an H hook and cotton yarn.
    Such a fun pattern. Thanks!

hI… Thank you for the pattern… i'm just starting it and i noticed that you increased by 3 on the second row and then by two on the third row…. is this correct?? thank you…

sorry….. i meant to say 3rd and 4th rows….on the 3rd you increase by 3 and on the 4th row you increase by 2…i've never see it done this way…

Oh my goodness it's adorable!!! I would love to make one for myself! I'll be watching and waiting for a "teen girls" size!! 😀

23. Amanda says

What would you suggest for adult hats? I've had many adults requesting for these hats after seeing the newborn ones I've completed.

Thank you so much for posting this! I have twins and I have never so much as picked up a crochet hook before, but I'm determined to learn! I love these hats, but trying to buy two every time they go up a size would just be too expensive for our budget. I'm going to go to the store tomorrow and get the necessary supplies. :) I would be more than happy to share pictures of the finished product, hopefully that'll be before 2013!

25. Cindy says

I repeated row "four" making final stitch count 50 and 10 rows in total. This changes size to toddler size. Tried ear flaps bigger but didn't like the look so kept the rest of the pattern the same.

26. Debbie says

Thanks for the pattern. Just finished mine, looks great. This is a good basic hat pattern for other animal and character faces.

HELP!!! Everytime I work through this pattern I end up with two extra stitches. In Round 2 I did 2DC in my chain 2 stitch and then in each of the remaining stitches and I ended up with 26 stitches, not 24…when I moved on to Round 3 following the pattern, I ended up with 32 stitches, not 30. What am I doing wrong? I started over 4 times!!

Thank you for the hat pattern. I have a question. What size should the newborn hat be when finished? I don't have a newborn to try it on and I think it looks like it needs some more length to it.

29. magda coello says

Hola…muchas gracias por compartir tus patrones…hare unos gorritos para unas bebes de 7 meses y recien nacida…saludos de Mexico…Magda

These are awesomely cute! I love owls! I am making one for someone who wants her son to wear in his birth announcement photos. I want him to be able to wear it again when he gets bigger, would you suggest making a size 3-6 months? Or do you have a pattern/way to make one for a baby 0-3 months?

I LOVE this pattern! it is so cute & easy! i am in the middle of making one for my daughter right now except instead of barely i'm using a Red Heart yarn-Coffee & a hot pink also Red Heart. :)

I have seen so many of these owl hats on the Internet, but yours has the best instructions! Even without a video it's easy to follow. Thank you for sharing your talents with all of us. Your awesome!!!!

I just made my first one of these using your pattern and it is SO cute! I can't wait to give it to my friend for her new baby…and then to make a larger size for my own daughter. :-)

I wanted to let you know that I've received several compliments on this hat! Every time my 15 month old girl wears it, people comment. Thank you for sharing your pattern!

Thank you for these wonderful pattern. I totally love the hats!
    I have started working on the "child pattern" for my 6 years old son. I followed the pattern step by step. But i stoped at row 14 as it turns out that the hat is way too small!!! it fits my daughter's doll!!
    I don'tknow why it turned out like this, because i used the pattern correctlyand had no trouble with that.
    Can anyone help? Please!

36. Annette says

Hi! I love this hat. I have made several! BUT, every time I make one it has a point on the top. Like I am doing something wrong on the magic circle, row 1 or 2. But thats the easiest part of the hat. What am I doing wrong? Thanks for your help!

I have made several of the larger hats. Thank you so much for the great pattern! I am setting up to make the newborn size. Is there a pdf download available for this one that I'm missing? Thanks!

How long would it take you to make one of these??? This coming from someone who has never crocheted, just wondering how long it may take me..

• Anonymous says

Lori, this was my first hat using a magic ring and crocheting in the round. It took me about four hours to do the hat one night, this included making mistakes and having to go back and correct work, and watching Breaking Bad on Netflix. The next day I did the earflaps in a half hour, first time doing those as well; this included watching tutorials online for doing the half double crochet decrease. I haven't finished the face yet, because I need to get white yarn.

If you are aiming to buy cheap designer cheap gucci handbags, you would be delighted to see that there are many chanel classic bag wholesalers for such merchandise around. Thus, you would find that there is also an hermes handbags online intense and advantageous competition for such market players. In the long run, consumers would end up louis vuitton monogram canvas winners in such events.

Cheap designer cheap omega watches are already practical, but watch them get further reasonable as designers gifts for girls, brands, and distributors further try to outpace each other in the race to get the nod and the patronage of many fashion swiss rolex consumers. Being fashionable does not mean you have to invest hefty amounts of dollars to fashion catier pendents efforts. Fashionable but cheap designer handbags surely could help complete the total getup of the sophisticated softshell jackets.

My mother-in-law found some white yarn for the eyes that is "baby yarn", and really thin. It is from a blanket she made my husband when he was a baby. What would be the formula for increasing more rounds so that the eyes are big enough for the hat. I was thinking of maybe experimenting with crocheting two strands of the baby yarn together.

I have a question concerning the crochet owl hat pattern. When you begin to make the magic ring how many single crochets do you do….is it 4 or 6?

I love your adorable patterns. I had my mom make this owl hat for my brand new baby girl and oh my heck, it is the cutest thing ever! Thanks for sharing all of your fun talents, it is so generous of you.

I have made several of these for gifts 3-6month and toddler sizes I dont think I have made anything cuter. I made dusky blue and pinks as accents both were great. Thanks for the pattern I will also use the base cap for other projects.

Thank you thank you! I just made this, pretty much my first crochet project. ( besides practice ) I learned to crochet just so I could make this. Thank you so much for the instructions. They were very clear and easy to follow. The hat turned out adorable. Just too cute for words. I can't stop looking at it. Thanks again for a wonderful resource!

45. Sharon Moreland says

Thank you so much for sharing this hat! I have a feeling I will be making a lot of them! They are SO cute!

Hello I am new to all of this…just made a owl hat for my grandson..and want to know if you have any more patterns for animals.. like a bear with a face..?

thank you for sharing this. this is my first try. even if i succeeded, everone can do this. your pattern is very clear.
    i made one for toddler size, it looks great but it became smaller than i need. maybe my yarn was uncorrect.
    loves from Türkiye :)

First of all, thank you for sharing your pattern with me. I am having a little trouble with the earflaps. I think I am following the pattern, but I am wondering why they are back to back at the seam. Have I done something wrong? I would appreciate your help

Thank you so much for sharing this hat and pattern! It was this hat that inspired me to learn how to crochet in December to make this hat for my son and niece for Christmas. I am happy to report that both hats turned out so great and cute and I am now hooked on crocheting and have now tried your Penguin and Sock Monkey Hat and they turned out great as well.
    Thanks so much for sharing all your great patterns!

Thank you for sharing this pattern; I was looking for something cute and original for a friend of my daughter, and I found your blog (@^^@) and your Owl hat pattern <3 ; I really really really love everything you made…
    best regards from France :)

Due to lack of buttons I made a quick option for eyes without them:
    Round 1) With black yarn, use a magic circle and SC 10, join and switch to accent color.
    Round 2) With accent color, SLP ST in each SC. (10 SLP ST) Join and switch to white in back loop of first SLP ST. CH 2.
    Round 3) 2 HDC in each back loop of SLP STs. Join and CH 2. (20 HDC)
    Round 4) HDC in same stitch, 2 HDC in next, *HDC, 2 HDC in next* repeat from * around, join to first HDCc, fasten off leaving long tail to sew on (30)

This was a great find! My nieces will look so adorable :)

I made it! It's absolutely adorable! Next time I will use 1" buttons, though. Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

Love, love, love this hat! Made one for one daughter and have started one for the other. I used black eyelash yarn to line top of eyes and made a 3d nose. Thank you so much for creating such an easy to follow pattern. Also, I finally worked on my gauge–I tend to make tall rows. Your pattern is so beautiful that I was inspired to correct my gauge. Found a great Youtube video: which helped me tremendously!

Am I not allowed to print this.I cant get it to work.It just prints the side advertisements but not the pattern.

Hi, I wanted to sell the hats I was making from your amazing pattern but I don't know how to link back to your page. Could you tell me how so I can do that prior to selling any hats. Thank you in advance! – Lola

Perfect pattern! I just finished the newborn size in dark blue and pink and it looks great! I'll make two more for my boys.
    Thank you!

These are so adorable I made one for my newborn problem…It was to big! Any advice on making it smaller?

I have made quite a few of these adorable hats. (I agree the sizing seemed slightly big but it gives a little room to grow!)

Anyways, I have started selling these hats (Well I'm trying to anyways!).
    I would never want to take credit for a pattern that is not my own work so, as requested, I posted a link back to here. I also used the Minnie Mouse hat pattern which turned out WAY cute!

Here is a link to my store and pictures of my finished work!

Hello! I was wondering what kind of magic ring to use? I am not used to doing them and there are SO many different tutorials on how to do one. Would you mind possibly pointing me in the right direction? It would be greatly appreciated! Gorgeous owl pattern by the way!!!:))

Oh my! Nevermind! I found your link that had it on there! Thank you for this pattern! It's so hard to find a free pattern that looks amazing! Will definitely be giving you the credit:))

thank you for your beautiful owl hats. my daughter seen them on facebook and had to have me make some for her two twin girls and son. so my Grand children will have plenty. thanks Janice bishop.

Can't thank you enough for the wonderful pattern & easy to follow instructions! I've done a hat for my great-nephew & great-niece and can't wait for fall so they can wear them.

hola estos modelos están muy bonitos , apenas estoy aprendiendo a mi bb le gusta botas el de dora la exploradora podrias ayudarme a hacer un amigurumi gracias

your pattern doesn't seem to increase in size but just in length.. I made one using the toddler size for my niece(3) but its almost too small for my one year old. I followed the directions completely since I'm new to crocheting. Is this something that needs updating in your pattern?

I love love love this pattern! I'm making one for my nephew that is on the way. My only question is… When starting a new round we are suppose to add double crochet in the same stitch as the chain. So does the chain cound as one if the pattern says to make two double crochet stitches in the first stich of the next row?

I really love your hat patterns and I just wanted to let you know! I made the owl hat for my grandson and it is adorable. I then adapted the pattern to make it a Red/White Christmas hat for my twin great nieces who will be here soon! Thank you very much!

Thank you for your patterns! I am new to crocheting and this was my first finished project for my granddaughter. I followed all the directions with no problems till I got to the nose directions. I can't seem to wrap my head around where I start my stitches after I chain and slip stitch. Where do I begin the stitches that follow?

Oh how wonderful!!!! I made your puppy dog hats from my adopted granddaughter for Christmas (as well as ones for my neighbors 3 grandchildren! they were such fun to make!) and now I'm going to do a puppy dog hat and one of these owl hats for a new baby in the church! Now only if *my* older children would be kind enough to give me grandchildren!!! But as I wait, I'll have so much fun making these little hats for any other little kids I can find! What fun! This one is too adorable for words!

I did it! It isn't as cute as yours, and I had to improvise on the buttons (did magic circle instead) but my 1 year old knew what it was. lol!

Just pull a loop through the stitch you want to start on and chain two from there. When you are done with the flap, work the end into the stitches with a needle. On you tube, you can probably find it under changing colors or starting a new skein. HTH!

I can't believe how easy and quick this was! I made one for my sister and one for a friend. They are going to go nuts over them! Thank you! I think that I'll try your unicorn next. Thanks so much for sharing.

this is such a great pattern – I made it in one afternoon, and can't wait to see it on my first grandchild (due sometime next month!). Thanks so much for sharing this – you're great!

I made the newborn pattern with no problem, but when I began making the owl hat for a toddler, it didn't seem right! Well, after I sl st to join after I made the 9 dc in the ring. It was forming a cup which probably explains why many hats are resulting as small.

Hello Sarah,

I`ve just finished your well-written patterns für the Lamb, Newborn Baby Booties and Newborn Crochet Owl Hat.
    If you`re interested in the result, please have a look on the pictures on my homepage

The Website is german, I introduce your homepage and that you show over 100 sweet crochet patterns for free.
    If you like to have further information, what I wrote, please don`t hesitate to contact me.

And thanx a lot, your patterns are so sweet,
    Imani Manuo – See more at:

I am in middle school and I made this owl hat. It was really cute. The only problem I had with it was with the eyes, but like I said I am in middle school and don't have a lot of practice. They are so cute and I could make a million of them.

im struggling with this pattern i have attempted to make this at least 30 times but it just seems to come out wrong every time. i have followed the pattern to the T but the top of the hat comes out flat in stead of coming down. please help i can send you a photo to show you what i mean

Made this it is so cute I changed the eyes because I misread the instructions after I already had one done I realized what I was suppose to do…my next one will be done correctly.

Hi Sarah…. I was wondering if I can use the other owl hat (Pattern/pictures) to do this infant hat… Am a newbie…… Will that work since this pattern has no pictures?

(QUESTION) I have made 3 of this owl hats they are sooo cute! This pattern is easy to understand and the hats don't take very long to make and that is wonderful… I have a question about putting the eyes and nose on. What do you mean by sewing them on? Do you mean with an actual sewing machine or with a yarn needle. My eyes and nose just don't come out looking very good on any of them.

Hi! Your pattern is perfect! And I've had a great time making it. I have just one question: how does the eyes and the nose in your hats look from the inside? I have the impression that my seam is not very cool looking from the inside…
    Thanks for sharing your pattern!