Quinoa (pronounced “Keen-wah”) is a new food to our house. It has become very trendy over the past couple years and for good reason. It’s a superfood. High in protein, iron and fiber and it’s gluten free. It looks like a grain but it is actually a seed from a plant. It was time to try it out for ourselves. I actually bought a quinoa salad from Costco over the weekend, but I wasn’t crazy about how crunchy it was. I thought that if I put the quinoa in the crock pot, it would turn out light and fluffy, and I was right! Here is my version of this quinoa salad.
– 1 1/2 cups of pre-washed quinoa. You can buy pre-washed quinoa in a box at Safeway and Trader Joes or check your local grocery store.
– 3 cups chicken broth (or vegetable)
– 1 Tablespoon olive oil
– 1/2 teaspoon salt
– 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
– 1/4 cup chopped almonds
– large handful of baby spinach leaves
– 1 cup cherry tomatoes (halved or quartered)
– 1/2 block of feta cheese, crumbled
1. Pour quinoa in crock pot. Add olive oil and stir around.
2. Add chicken broth, salt, cinnamon, and almonds and stir around.
3. Cover and cook on low for 4-5 hours or high for 2-4 hours. (I cooked mine on high for almost 3 hours).