Let me just start off by saying these shirts are insanely easy to make. They practically put themselves together. You need 3 supplies:
1. A shirt
2. A mini American Flag (Sold in packs of 3 for $1.00 at Target…and everywhere else for that matter)
3. Steam-A-Seam Sticky Back Fusible Web
Now if you are making these for Memorial Day or the 4th of July, I would suggest using a short-sleeved shirt. But I had been saving this blue shirt on my craft shelf ever since Big Brother took a pair of scissors to it. I couldn’t bear to throw it away since it was size 4T and I knew he would be able to wear it for at least another year.
I am also confident that he will be able to wear this shirt this weekend for Memorial Day since it’s currently 57 degrees with heavy rain here in Portland, OR :o(
So here is what you do…
1. Cut the flag from the pole.
2. lay it on top of a piece of Steam-A-Seam webbing paper and cut the paper to the size of the flag. You may want to trace it first and then cut. It helps to use the corner of the paper so you only have to cut two sides.
3. Peal the waxy piece of paper from the webbing and stick the sticky side to the back of your flag.
4. With the webbing side down, position it on your shirt. Iron for 10-20 seconds with steam on cotton heat.
The great thing about American flag shirts is that you can wear them anytime of year. So this is a win/win!