Monster Fleece Lovey Blankets

Back in March when I was knee deep in monster birthday party planning, I came across fleece fabric at JoAnn’s that had little monsters on it. I had no idea what I was going to do with it, but I went ahead and purchased 2 yards of it anyway. And its been sitting on my craft shelf ever since. When I found out this weeks One Crafty Contest material was fabric, I knew it was time to put the monster fleece to use! I don’t own a sewing machine nor do I know how to sew – Yes, there is something I can’t do :o) But I had recently learned how to crochet around fleece for the Project Linus Blanket Drive. I thought a blanket was too boring, but a monster lovely would be perfect!

First I cut a 10.5 x 12 piece of the fleece fabric. I created holes to crochet through with a skip stitch blade and a ruler as a guide. Holes should be made about a 1/2 inch from the edge. It is also helpful to cut the corners into rounded corners so it will lay down flat when you crochet the edge.

I purchase my skip stitch blade from the Project Linus website and you will need a Fiskars 45mm Contour Rotary Cutter
which I purchased from Amazon.

Here is the crochet pattern I came up. Remember that when following the patterns below, you can easily adapt them to make the head and limbs bigger by increasing the chain length and row length. Feel free to use this as a loose guide.

– Worsted weight yarn
– Size H (5.0) crochet hook
– Tapestry Needle
– Black Buttons

Chain 17,
SC in second chain from hook, and in the next 16.
SC along other side of chain (17 SC)
Working in rounds, SC 16, 2 SC in next stitch, SC 16, 2 SC in next.
Continue SC around for 11 more rounds (SC 35), Leave a long tail
Sew on eyes, ears, teeth, etc before stuffing lightly with Poly-Fil
and sewing shut.

Arms (make 2):
Chain 5,
SC in second chain from hook and in next 3
Sc along other side of chain (4SC)
Working in rounds, 2 SC in first SC, SC in next 3, 2 SC in next stitch,
SC 50, leave a long tail
Stuff with a small amount of polyfil and sew shut.
Leave the rest of the tail for sewing onto blanket

Feet (make 2):
Chain 5,

SC in second chain from hook and in next 3
Sc along other side of chain (4SC)
Working in rounds, 2 SC in first SC, SC in next 3, 2 SC in next stitch,
SC 25, leave a long tail
Stuff with a small amount of polyfil and sew shut.
Leave the rest of the tail for sewing onto blanket

Note: This is for the single large eye. For smaller eyes, start with less SC in your magic ring
With color #1:
Magic Ring, chain 1
6 SC in magic ring, pull tight and join, chain 1
2 SC in same stitch and in each stitch around (12 SC)
Join with white and chain 1
2 Sc in same stitch and in each around (24 SC)
Join, fasten off leaving long tail to sew on.
You can use a black button for the pupil or for smaller eyes, use 12mm Solid Black Eyes

Slip Stitch in 2nd chain from hook, SC in next, HDC in next
Leave long tail for sewing on.

Magic Ring, chain 1
3 SC in magic ring, do not join and continue to work in rounds
2 SC in next 3 (6 SC)
2 SC in next, 1 SC in next, 2 SC, 1 SC, 2 SC, 1 SC (9 SC)
SC in next 9 (9 SC)
Fasten off leaving long tail to sew onto head
Tip: If you leave a long tail when starting your Magic ring, you can use it to stuff the horn.

Please Note: This pattern uses buttons and has small parts which could potentially become choking hazards if they come off. Please use caution if making this for a baby or if giving to a baby. If I was to make this for an infant, I would not use buttons and use black yarn instead.

Here are my little monsters snuggling with their new lovey blankets :o)

Oh, and did I mention how much I hate weaving in ends? Just look at this mess!

*** You may make and sell products from my patterns but if you do I ask that you link back to my post. Please do not copy and post this pattern and claim it as your own. Please do not republish photos as your own***

Want more free patterns? Keep in touch on my Repeat Crafter Me Facebook Page for new pattern sneak peaks and when they will be available on my blog!

And weaving/sewing in ends is my least favorite too… which is why I wait til I finish 4 or 5 projects before weaving in the ends lol

2. Melissa says

O M GOSH!!!!!!!!!! This is sooooooo AWESOME!!!!!!!!!! THANK YOU for making it free!! That is so wonderfully kind of you!!

Yes, I used the original size. Sorry I didn't mention that in the post. Also, I used a size G (4.0 MM) hook to crochet around the edges of the fleece and size H (5.0) hook to crochet the monster parts.

Do you have any tutorials on sewing things on? I suppose I could probably figure it out, but a tutorial would be so handy!!

Awesome! You could also use the Sharp Crochet Hook to crochet directly through the fabric in one step so you don't have to use the rotary cutter on it first. Thanks for the tutorial!

Love this! They turned out great! Did you sc around the edge of the blanket? I couldn't find where you mentioned that. I did see you used a size G hook for the edging and a H hook for the monster parts.

Can't wait to make some of these!

that's what I figured it was– but thought I had better ask before I destroyed something! Thanks for getting back to me so quick! I'm off to JoAnn's now to find some fleece!

Ok- One more post.. (sorry)
    I found TONS of cute fleece at JoAnn's… and even the same monster fleece as you used! BUT I couldn't find a skip stitch blade so I had to order one. Ordered it from PL like you suggested. I was very pleased to find out they don't kill you on shipping! Yay! Hopefully I will be making some loveys by the end of the week!

Thanks again for the great free pattern!

These are so adorable! Thanks for sharing! I used to work at JoAnn's before we moved and have collected several totes full of fabric and fleece (yarn, craft stuff…anything and everything that was on sale that I thought I would someday use), so I will have to dig it out and make some of these for my little monster grandchildren!

Finally I made one too. It was difficult to find the materials you used, because I am from Germany. The Internet Shops I found don't ship to Germany. So I used a Patchwork fabrik with a Monster theme. I couldn't find the skip stich blade either. So I used a different tool but the work doesn't look so perfect. Either way my son loves his monster blanket. So thank you for this great idea!!! (sorry for my bad english :-)

Wow! How fun to have a follower from Germany! So happy to hear you already made a blanket. Even though you couldn't find the exact supplies, I am sure it turned out great! Feel free to post a picture of it on my Facebook page!

10. Grammie Barbie says

I made these this weekend for my two grandsons we are expecting this summer. My daughters loved them! Thank you so much for sharing :)

*sings* these are AWESOOOOOOOOOME! *insert little flying note for illustration* How clever are you?? I'm going to pin this to pinterest right after sending this comment, so let me take the opportunity to thank you for the pattern from the bottom of my monster- loving heart before all the rest of the pinterest gals do. So.. THANK YOU!

So adorable! You could also try using 9mm safety eyes. They won't come off, you don't have to sew on buttons, and you don't have to create any more yarn tails with black yarn! Thanks for the cute pattern!

So cute!! I'm impressed with the crochet — sewing is SO much easier for me — because it gives such a nice texture! Thanks so much for sharing on Busy Monday at A Pinch of Joy. Hope to see you again soon!

14. Erik says

Awesome!! Huge Monsters Inc and any monsters of the same style ("Uglydoll", etc.). I used the same material but just for a plain blanket, then accented monsters with UV-reactive paint fabric markers and mounted a UV "black light" nightlight on the wall over my son's bed. The friendly monsters come "on" at night to cover him.

15. Natasha says

i had a go at one of these the other day just for the fun of it and my daughter loved it, but asked for a girl monster (she's comming up on 3) so i have just finished a little girl monster. i replaced the horns with long curls. i have also used minky instead of fleece which seems to e a hit though the fluff got everywhere. lesson learnt the forst time. the second one i did sat on my neighbours front doorstep! tanks for the pattern.

Thank you so much for this pattern/idea. After i saw this pattern i went out to find printed fleece myself. I live in the Netherlands and in the shops i was checking i didnt find any monsterfleece, but bought two very cute prints, i probably wont crochet a monster around it but something else, but the idea is really great, wouldnt have thought about it myself.

Also tried to find a rotary cutter in the shops but havent found one, but ran into my 'hole in leather maker thingie' (was in my closet at the stable where my horse is) which i hope will work, havent tried it though

How cute are these! My collegue asked me to makt something like this. On a blanket for her kitten. I have a question, I understand you can make holes in fleece. But is it also possible in cotton (my plan is to make a patchwork blanket with fleece on the other side of the blanket)? Doesn't it ruin the cotton? I'm sorry my English is not that good, hope you can understand my question. And thanks a lot for this very nice tutorial!

18. Erin says

Love this!!! I've made a couple for friends' kids and they love them!! Thank you so much for the pattern! And the puppy one is fabulous too. :)

• Anonymous says

Hello, I so like these monster blankets but am wondering about the wholes you made to crochet in with the "slip stitch blade". You said you got from the Project Linus Website but on their "search" button nothing comes up. I am not seeing this "blade" to purchase. I wish you`d had a picture of it as well in the photos. Can you help us to find it to purchase also. Thanks Kim

Very cute blankets!!!! Cannot wait to go shopping and get the supplies to start this project! Thanks for sharing!

I think it is a brilliant idea, I can't wait for my tools to arrive in order to make it.
    As for the buttons, I don't think it is safe for a young kids, there is always a chance of swallowing and choking.

I love your lovey patterns.But,I have some little girls that would love some loveys. Do you think you could come up with a girly pattern for one?

These are absolutely "LOVELY". Cant wait to check out the rest of your site! Maybe I could use up some of the material that I tend to buy with no purpose. Thanks!

23. Iris says

i'm Iris from germany, and ich love your things, they look so cute.
    i would love to make it too, but i'm not able to find the skip stitch blade you used.
    How big was the space between the holes in the blanket you made with the blade?
    i will try to do it by hand, but i need the distance.

thank you very much and please excuse my horrible english
    Bye iris

Any way I can purchase one of these?? They are so cute my nephews theme is monsters and he'll be here any day! I'm not crafty at all and between school and work have zero time! I'd love to buy one!!

They don't currently have the skip stitch blade at Project Linus, but it can be found at
    This project is so adorable! I don't have monsters, but I do have animal print. I'm going to find a lion or elephant to adapt for the head. Thanks so much for the great idea!

In a previous message you mentioned a Babyghan. Do you have a pattern for that also. I love the Robot Lovey – have made one and am working on one with a different twist. Thank you.

Hi, Sarah, I made a little lovey for my niece and her new baby using your directions and it turned out great. Your directions were very easy to follow. I had never done a magic ring before and learned how from Youtube. I haven't crocheted in a few years. I've been knitting, tatting and quilting but had to do this for a special little person. I have more fabric and will be doing more of these too. Thanks for such a great little pattern.

I crocheted a little eye instead of the button . I am having trouble with the head. crocheting on the otherside . can't get 17 sc in.
    could you show on a tutorial a close up or on you tube.. don't know what i am doing wrong. thanks so much. love it for my grandsons.

30. Sarah says

Do you have to hem the fleece or fold it over and crochet through it, or will it not fray? I’ve never used fleece before.