Crochet Watermelon Coin Purse

A couple weeks ago I discovered the Sharp Crochet Hook and quickly got one in my hands (Thanks Jessica!). This hook has a sharp point on the end which allows you to easily poke through fabric without having to pre-poke holes (something I had been doing before with a skip-stitch blade). I have soooo many fun projects lined up that use of this hook. The watermelon coin purse was a spur of the moment idea that was so easy to do thanks to the Sharp Crochet Hook. You don’t have to worry about sewing the zipper or creating a lining. Just crochet directly onto the zipper! It’s that easy! And it is the perfect accessory for the summer!

You will need:
– Coats & Clark Polyester All Purpose Zipper 7″ (Bright Green)
– Vanna’s Choice Yarn (Fern, White, Raspberry)
– the Sharp Crochet Hook
– Size  G (4.00mm) Crochet Hook
– Small black buttons (for seeds)

Note: the Sharp Crochet Hook will work best with size 10, 5, or 3 crochet thread. Since I used Vanna’s Choice medium worsted weight yarn, I had to pull the yarn tight in order to crochet with it around the zipper. This took some getting used to but once you get the hang of it, it goes quickly.

Watermelon Coin Purse Pattern:

Starting with the green yarn

Round 1: Beginning at one end of the zipper, Crochet 45 SC stitches around the zipper with the Sharp Crochet Hook. You will want to chain 1 between each SC. Continue with the rest of the pattern with your G crochet hook.

For the rest of the pattern do not join, use a stitch marker to keep track of your rounds.
Round 2: SC around (between the SC’s) with 2 extra SC on each end (48 SC)
Round 3-4: SC around (48 SC)
Change color to white
Round 4-5: SC around (48 SC)
Change color to pink
Round 6: 20 SC, SC Dec, 22 SC, SC Dec, 2 SC
Round 7: 20 SC, SC Dec, 20 SC, SC Dec, 5 SC
Round 8: 19 SC, SC Dec, 20 Sc, SC Dec, 5 SC
Round 9: SC around (43 SC)
Round 10: 20 SC , SC Dec, 20 SC, SC Dec
Round 11: 8 SC, SC Dec, 8 SC, SC Dec, 8 SC, SC Dec, 8 SC, SC Dec, 2 SC.
Round 12: 8 SC, SC Dec, 8 SC, SC Dec, 8 SC, SC Dec, 8 SC.
Round 13: 6 SC, SC Dec, 6 SC, SC Dec, 6 SC, SC Dec, 6 SC, SC Dec, 3 SC.
Round 14: 6 SC, SC Dec, 6 SC, SC Dec,  6 SC, SC Dec, 7 SC.
Round 15: 4 SC, SC Dec, 4 SC, SC Dec, 4 SC, SC Dec, 4 SC, SC Dec, 4 SC.
Round 16: 4 SC, SC Dec, 4 SC, SC Dec, 4 SC, SC Dec, 4 SC, SC Dec.
Round 17: 4 SC, SC Dec, 4 SC, SC Dec, 4 SC, SC Dec, SC.
Round 18: 4 SC, SC Dec, 4 SC, SC Dec, 5 SC.
Round 19: 4 SC, SC Dec, 4 SC, SC Dec, 3 SC.
Round 20: 4 SC, SC Dec, 4 SC, SC Dec, SC.
Round 21: SC, SC Dec, repeat around.
Round 22: SC Dec till closed.

Sew on small black buttons on the front and back and your done!

You can purchase the Sharp Crochet Hook at On their website you will also find lots of great tutorials and patterns for crocheting edging and borders. If you are a crocheter and don’t already have one of these hooks, it is something you must add to your supplies!

*** You may make and sell my patterns but if you do I ask that you link back to my post. Please do not copy and post this pattern and claim it as your own.***

Want more free patterns? Keep in touch on my Repeat Crafter Me Facebook Page for new pattern sneak peaks and when they will be available on my blog!

What a great idea! Will certainly be trying this. And if I'm successful I will link back to this post on my blog. I don't have a sharp hook so I am going to poke holes in the zip and hope it works!

Not only have you given us an incredibly cute pattern, but also a great new notion that "I can't live without". Thank you for both!!!!!

Great project and thanks SO MUCH for introducing me to the sharp crochet hook, didn't know such a thing existed, but is sure solves a lot of mysteries, like pillowcase edging! Thanks so much for sharing on Craft Schooling Sunday!

4. Jessica says

Thanks for the great idea. I already have a sharp crochet hook and do like it. Hadn't thought of using it this way before and was always intimidated by a zipper closure for crochet. I think I can handle it now.

I love this idea and this pattern, but I don't crochet very often. You say "for the rest of the pattern, do not join." Does that mean that you work back and forth and then sew a seam at the end? I very much want to try the project–it will make a great present for my nieces with summer birthdays–but I need a little hand holding to get started. Thanks!

I LOVE your patterns. You are awesome, girl! I am pretty good at following patterns, but a little slow when it comes to creating my own. You are an inspiration! Keep up the great work! Thanks for sharing. Gotta have that hook!

I had my husband grind a point on one of my crochet hooks when I was making hanging towels, as it made crocheting into the towel so much easier..then I just switched to my regular hook..I like how you used the idea here and fully intend to make one of these darling little change purses..Thanks for sharing. Lover of crafts,especially crochet.

Wow!!!! really love this little pattern And ty so much for sharing,,, I'm gonna try knitting one ur very talented keep up thre great work… Lynn from Maine

9. Pamela B. says

Using this need with crochet yarn to add a zipper was pure torment! These things were meant for thread! A skip stitch blade on a rotary cutting tool would be a lot more effective. Unless its for thread Its a waste of money!

Hey Sweetheart,

If I was to make these and sell these via my Etsy.
    I would post a link to this and your link to the free patterns as well.
    I would post a disclaimer about it not being mine.
    Is there a certain price range I may offer or can I decide the price on my own?
    Would love to hear from you.

HI! I am so happy to have found this simple tutorial :) Thank you! However I have already crocheted the pouch and need to add zipper.. still I will try your method.!

What a great pattern! Thanks so much for sharing the Watermelon Purse with us. I made it a bit bigger & added a shoulder strap to it and my 11yo daughter has barely taken it off since her birthday. ūüėÄ