Puppy Dog Lovey Blanket Crochet Pattern

If you liked my Monster Fleece Lovey Blankets, then I think you will like my newest version, the Puppy Dog Lovey! I love the way it turned out, but to give you fair warning, this is much more complicated and time consuming than the monster blankets. There are A LOT of bits and pieces that need to be sewn together. But I think its worth it to get this uber cute puppy blanket :)

Puppy Dog Head Pattern

Row 6: HDC across (8 HDC), chain 1, turn
Row 7: 2 HDC in first st, HDC in next 6, 2 HDC in last, chain 1, turn
Row 8: 2 HDC in first st, HDC in next 8, 2 HDC in last, chain 1, turn
Row 9: 2 HDC in first st, HDC in next 10, 2 HDC in last, chain 1, turn
Row 10-11: HDC across (14 HDC), chain 1, turn
Row 12: HDC decrease, HDC in next 10, HDC decrease, chain 1, turn
Row 13: HDC across (12 HDC)
Row 14: HDC decrease, HDC in next 8, HDC decrease, chain 1, turn

Row 15: HDC across (10 hdc), continue to sc around ,sl st to join, fasten off, weave in ends

Nose:
Chain 9, HDC in 2nd chain from hook, HDC across (8 HDC), chain 1, turn
Row 2: HDC across (8 HDC), chain 1, turn
Row 3: 2 HDC, HDC in next 6, 2 HDC in last, chain 1, turn
Row 4: HDC across (10 HDC), fasten off, weave in ends and sew onto one of the head pieces.

Eye Patch:
Magic Ring, 8 DC in magic ring, join to first DC, fasten off, weave in ends and sew on to head piece.

Sew on two small black buttons for the eyes.

Sew together head with with face embellishments to solid color head. Leave a small opening to lightly stuff with poly-fil and then sew shut. Now sew on the ears.

Outside of Ears:
Chain 6, HDC in 2nd Chain from hook, HDC across, chain 1, turn (5 HDC)
Row 2-6: HDC across (5 HDC), chain 1, turn
Row 7: HDC decrease, HDC, HDC decrease, continue to SC around and when you get to the top, make two HDC decrease right before Sl St to join, fasten off
Note: It helps to make 2 SC in each bottom corners.

Inside of Ear:
Chain 4, HDC in 2nd Ch from hook, HDC across (3 HDC), chain 1, turn
Row 2-5: HDC across (3 HDC), chain 1, turn
at the end of Row 5, continue to SC around and when you get to the top, make two HDC decrease right before Sl St to join, fasten off

Note: It helps to make 2 SC in each bottom corners.
Sew the inside of the ear to the outside of the ear but be careful to sew only on the inside stitches so the yarn doesn’t show through the outer ear.

Dog Paw Pattern (make 4): This would also make a great appliqué!

Magic Ring, Chain 1, 6 HDC in ring, join, chain 1
Round 2: 2 HDC in each around (12 HDC)
Round 3: Change color, *2 HDC, HDC, *around (18 HDC), chain 1
Round 4: *HDC and DC in same stitch, DC and HDC in next, slip stitch, *Repeat two more times, (be sure to end with a slip stitch) and continue around by making 2 SC in each stitch (18 SC), join with slip stitch to bottom of first ch 1,
Round 5: *2 DC in next 4, slip stitch to slip stitch, *Repeat two more times, fasten off.
Now make 4 more of these but without changing color (just solid)

Dog paw pads (make 12):
Magic Ring, Chain 1, 8 SC in magic ring, join to first SC, fasten off and sew onto dog paws
Now sew together dog paw with pads to solid dog paw like you did with the head. Be sure to leave a small opening to lightly stuff with poly-fil before you completely sew it shut.

The dog bone fleece I found is currently being sold as a “dog blanket” at Jo-Ann Fabrics for only $2.50! I cut it into a 11×13 size piece and then crocheted around the edges.
To crochet around the edges you will first need a skip stitch blade to make holes around the edges. I bought the “original” size from the Project Linus website. You will also need a 45mm rotary cutter handle. I bought the Fiskars 9521 45mm Contour Rotary Cutter from Amazon.
HERE is a great video tutorial on how to crochet around the edge of fleece.

After you have crocheted around the edge of your blanket, sew head and paws onto the edging and PHEW!, you are done!

*** You may make and sell my patterns but if you do I ask that you link back to my post. Please do not copy and post this pattern and claim it as your own.***

Want more free patterns? Keep in touch on my Repeat Crafter Me Facebook Page for new pattern sneak peeks and when they will be available on my blog!

Comments

Loving this….!!!
    Thanks for all these freebies – it's so inspiring to find someone who's willing to share their work.
    Good on you..!!
    Jo. xx

I LOVE,LOVE this!! Such a great pattern and tutorial. I will be featuring it tomorrow at Link It Up Thursday. Thanks for partying with me girlie!!

Thank you very much for sharing this! I am going to make this for my cousin who just turned 1. I will be sure to post your link as the place I got the pattern and inspiration from. :)

THANK YOU! I really appreciate when people that have such wonderful ideas share them with the rest of us :) I was hoping that maybe you could be convinced to add a Pinterest button…? That way I can save your pattern for use when I get out of grad school :)

this is really cute. My only concern is sewing buttons on something a baby will have their mouth all over. so I just crocheted the eyes two colors instead.

Thank you! I just finished making this for my nephew for Christmas and it turned out Awesome! I love your patterns! I have made three of your hats now too for presents and they are so cool!

does anyone have any suggestions at how to get the musty stink out of yarn that had to be stored in the basement, fabreze isn't an option makes me cough from the perfume in it. but its a huge stash and i have the inspiration to use it but can't work with the smell

I am having problems crocheting the paws…i'm not sure if i'm just not reading the pattern correctly or what the deal is. Any suggestions?

The pattern for this puppies head is the single most versatile thing I've ever used – it can be used for so many different animals and if you turn it over it can be a skull of an alien! I've copied it down into my notebook because i have been using it so much.

Hi Sarah,
    I made this and shared the picture on your facebook page. I am going to use it as another animal but looking at it now it looks like you did sc around the outside of the nose am I right and this was missed in the pattern or is it just how it looks in the picture. If it was missed in the pattern I didn't notice before and missed a step oops. Oh well the puppy was still a hit with our girl.
    Darlene

I'm also having problems with the paws. Why change color on one paw and not on the others? At the end of round 2 & 3 you don't join? My counts are not coming out right. Please help.

• Anonymous says

You are seeing the front of the paw with the toes (the one where you change colors) and the back of the paw (the one where you don't. I believe you are supposed to join the front and back leaving an opening to add polyfil, then attach to blanket. So you would make 8 paws total and change colors on 4 of them. Is that any help?

I am having a very hard time trying to find the skip stitch rotary blade, are they not making or selling this blade anymore? I went to the Linus website and the page said product not found. I would love to finish this blanket before my friend has her baby. Do you have any advice for me. Thank you.

o WOW! My lil boy is a Shi Tzu & he likes to sleep on my bed. so I like to put a sheet down to keep my linens clean…. yes he is bathed 2x weekly, but he is a dog! This rug is going to look super cute on my bed! THANK YOU!

This blanket is so incredibly cute! I cannot wait to make this and others! I'll have to say that your blog is one of my favorites to visit when I'm looking for crochet projects, especially hats!! (: Thank you for these great ideas!

Tina
    My Blog

I am having trouble finding the dog blanket at Joann's…. Has anyone found this? or something similar? could you post a link to the fabric? thanks!! I really like this fabric and I'm having a hard time finding anything that would match the browns/blues that has dogs/bones on it

Hi Sarah,

I'm Betto from http://bettotejidos.blogspot.com
    I'm in a crochet challenge, this month is about dogs and cats so, surfing the internet looking for pattern I found you.
    You have a lot of wonderful patterns, congrats!
    I would like to use this pattern for the challenge, Can I?

Best wishes,