My sons preschool asked each class to come up with a themed basket for the school’s annual auction. Our class decided on a books basket and I am having so much fun coming up with creative ideas for items to include! I had been wanting to make Thing 1 and Thing 2 crochets hats for awhile and knew it would be a perfect donation along with a Cat in the Hat book. But being that it is also October, and we are only a couple weeks away from Halloween, I thought they would make a great costume as well! So I am going to share with you how I made these hats in case any of you are inspired to make your own.
First you need the right color yarn. I used Vanna’s Choice worsted weight yarn in Scarlet. And Red Heart Super Saver yarn in Turqua. Any black and white colored worsted weight yarn will work for the Thing 1 and Thing 2 patches.
Next, I followed a basic crochet hat pattern.
I like this FREE earflap hat pattern by Alli Crafts. You can choose to include earflaps or leave them off as I did. Just make sure you use red for the hat and then switch to blue along the last row.
Here is the pattern for Thing 1 and Thing 2 patches:
With size H hook and white yarn,
Magic Ring, 10 DC in magic ring, join, chain 2.
Round 2: 2 DC in each stitch around (20 DC), join, chain 2.
Round 3: 2 DC in each stitch around (40 DC),
now change color to black and Slip Stitch in the back loops only all the way around the circle. Fasten off and weave in ends.
Lastly, you need to make an extra large pom pom.
1. Cut out two cardboard circles that are approx. 4.5″ wide (I traced the lid to a sour cream container). Then cut a smaller circle in the middle of each one that are approx. 1.5″ wide.
2. Lay the two cardboard donuts on top of each other and start wrapping your yarn through the small hole and around your donuts. You will have to use multiple small balls of yarn. Don’t worry about connecting your yarn ends. Just make sure when you start and stop a new strand, the loose end is sticking out the edge of the donut and not in the middle.
3. Cut the edge of the yarn between cardboard donuts.
4. This is what your yarn should look like.
5. Slightly separate the cardboard pieces and tie a piece of yarn TIGHTLY around the middle.
6. Remove the cardboard completely and trim pom pom until all the strands look nice and neat and attach to the top of your hat!
These would be a great costume for siblings! And wouldn’t these make the perfect gift for twin babies?!
*** You may make and sell products from my patterns but if you do I ask that you link back to my post. Please do not copy and post this pattern and claim it as your own. Please do not re-publish photos as your own.***
Want more free patterns? Keep in touch on my Repeat Crafter Me Facebook Page for new pattern sneak peeks and when they will be available on my blog!