Crochet Rudolph the Reindeer Hat Pattern

I have to admit this is hands down my favorite hat that I have crocheted to date :) I love the addition of the felt pieces and the way the bottom rim flips over to create the snout. In an effort to get this pattern to you before Christmas, I have only worked this up in 0-3 months size. But I am confident that the ears and antlers will work on the larger hats. The mouth portion doesn’t have a specific stitch count (I will explain more below), so that should work for larger hats as well. Ok, enough talk, here it is!

– Lion Brand Vanna’s Choice worsted weight yarn in Honey (for the main hat) and Beige (for the snout)
– 1 piece of dark brown felt
– 1 piece of white felt
– 1 piece of black felt
– Small amount of poly-fil (to stuff antlers)
– 1 red button
– Size H and F Crochet Hook
– Tapestry needle

Abbreviations:
Magic Ring: You can find a tutorial for the magic ring HERE
Ch = Chain
SC = Single Crochet
HDC = Half Double Crochet
DC = Double Crochet
Sl St = Slip Stitch

Crochet Rudolph the Reindeer Hat

Size: 0-3 months
Magic Ring, chain 1, 9 HDC in ring, join, chain 1
Round 2: Work 2 HDC into each st around, join, chain 1 (18 HDC)
Round 3: 2 HDC in first stitch, HDC in next, Repeat around, join, chain 1 (27 HDC)
Round 4: 2 HDC in first stitch, HDC in next 2, Repeat around, join, chain 1 (36 HDC)
Round 5: 2 HDC in first stitch, HDC in next 3, Repeat around, join, chain 1 (45 HDC)
Round 6 -13: HDC in each stitch around, join, chain 1 (45 HDC)
Change color and continue with “snout” pattern as written below.

Size: 3-6 months
Magic Ring, chain 1, 9 HDC in ring, join, chain 1
Round 2: Work 2 HDC into each st around, join, chain 1 (18 HDC)
Round 6: 2 HDC in first stitch, HDC in next 8, Repeat around, join, chain 1 (50 HDC)
Round 7 -14: HDC in each stitch around, join, chain 1 (50 HDC)
Change color and continue with “snout” pattern as written below.
Size: 6-12 months
Magic Ring, chain 1, 9 HDC in ring, join, chain 1
Round 2: Work 2 HDC into each st around, join, chain 1 (18 HDC)
Round 6: 2 HDC in first stitch, HDC in next 4, Repeat around, join, chain 1 (54 HDC)
Round 7 -15: HDC in each stitch around, join, chain 1 (54 HDC)
Change color and continue with “snout” pattern as written below.
Size: Toddler/Preschooler
Magic Ring, chain 1, 9 HDC in ring, join, chain 1
Round 2: Work 2 HDC into each st around, join, chain 1 (18 HDC)
Round 7: HDC around, join, chain 1 (54 HDC
Round 8: 2 HDC in first stitch, HDC in next 8, Repeat around (60 HDC)
Round 9 -16: HDC in each stitch around, join, chain 1 (60 HDC)
Change color and continue with “snout” pattern as written below.
Size: Child
Magic Ring, chain 1, 9 HDC in ring, join, chain 1
Round 2: Work 2 HDC into each st around, join, chain 1 (18 HDC)
Round 7: HDC around, join, chain 1 (54 HDC
Round 8: 2 HDC in first stitch, HDC in next 8, Repeat around (60 HDC)
Round 9: 2 HDC in first stitch, HDC in next 29, Repeat around, join, chain 1 (62 HDC)
Round 10 -18: HDC in each stitch around, join, chain 1 (62 HDC)
Change color and continue with “snout” pattern as written below.
Size: Adult
Magic Ring, chain 1, 9 HDC in ring, join, chain 1
Round 2: Work 2 HDC into each st around, join, chain 1 (18 HDC)
Round 7: HDC around, join, chain 1 (54 HDC
Round 8: 2 HDC in first stitch, HDC in next 8, Repeat around (60 HDC)
Round 9: 2 HDC in first stitch, HDC in next 9, Repeat around, join, chain 1 (66 HDC)
Round 10 -19: HDC in each stitch around, join, chain 1 (66 HDC)
Change color and continue with “snout” pattern as written below.

When you have complete the basic hat, you are going to add 3 more rounds in beige to create the snout. Pattern is as follows:
Reindeer Snout Pattern:
Round 1: SC around in new color, join, chain 1
Round 2: SC around until you get to towards the middle of the front of the hat. This is where you are going to make 7 DC stitches (be sure that the 7 DC are centered in the front because this is the start of the Reindeer snout), SC the rest of the way around, join to first SC.
Round 3: Slip stitch around until you get the 7 DC, make another 7 DC, continue to slip stitch around the rest of the hat, join to first slip st, fasten off, weave in ends.
Now flip the “snout” up and fasten it in place with a red button.

Reindeer Ears:

– Create two in Honey color using H or J hook (the larger the hook, the bigger the ear).
– Then create two more using an F hook and lighter colored yarn. Sew the smaller pieces into the inside of the ear. Then sew finished ears onto hat.

Chain 5, SC in 2nd chain from hook and the rest of the way down chain, chain 1, turn.
Row 2: SC across, chain 1, turn.
Row 3: 2 SC in first stitch, sc in next 2, 2 SC in last stitch, chain 1, turn.
Row 4-5: SC across, chain 1, turn.
Row 6: SC decrease, SC in next 2, SC Decrease
Row 7: SC across
Row 8: 2 SC decreases
Row 9: SC decrease
Chain 1 and SC around edges, fasten off and weave in ends.

Reindeer Antlers and Eyes:
UPDATE 11-12-13: I have created a crocheted partner for the antlers and eyes! You can find those patterns HERE.

Here is the downloadable template for the antlers and eyes. You will need to cut out 4 antlers from dark brown felt and one each of the eyes and eyeballs. The eyes should be cut with white felt and the eyeballs with black felt.
Rudolph the Reindeer Antlers and Eyes Template

I used 2-ply (separate your 4-ply yarn into 2-ply) brown yarn and a small tapestry needle to blanket stitch the felt antlers together. I stuffed them lightly with poly-fil before completely sewing it closed. I sewed them onto the hat, but if you want them to stick straight up, you might try using a pipe cleaner or floral wire in the antler and wrapped around the area where the antler meets the hat. The antlers on my hat do flop over a little when being worn.

The black eyeballs were hand-sewn onto the larger white eye with 2-ply yarn and a tapestry needle using a regular straight stitch. And then the complete eyes were sewn onto the hat at a slight angle.

Download a PDF of this pattern HERE

Enjoy! Happy Holidays!

*** You may make and sell products from my patterns but if you do I ask that you link back to my post. Please do not copy and post this pattern and claim it as your own. Please do not re-publish photos as your own.***

Want more free patterns? Keep in touch on my Repeat Crafter Me Facebook Page for new pattern sneak peeks and when they will be available on my blog!

Comments

Thank you for shareing your patterns..This one is my favorite tooo.. i do wish you could just hit a download button for the whole patttern in pdf. that would be very helpful..thanks

Ok, you're hats are truly amazing. I shouldn't add more projects to my huge list but I can't help it- I HAVE to make this for my boys! Thank you for your awesome tutorials! I've already made the snowman hat for both of them and they're adorable!

I have never successfully crocheted a hat before. Not very good with deciphering simple instructions. I will try this, though I don't have the exact colour, because your instructions and pattern are very, very, comprehensive. BTW, this is a very, very cute Rudolph. Thank you so very, very much for sharing your talents.

Love this! But did you really use Rust? In person the yarn looks very orange not brown? It looks a lot darker than your color does!

I just had to double check for you because you got me thinking I might have had my yarn colors wrong 😐 I think you might be correct! I threw away the label for the ball of yarn I used, but now I am thinking it is Honey and not Rust. So sorry! I am going to have to confirm this next time I am buying yarn but I will make not of it in the pattern. Thank you for catching this!

You Rock! My only granddaughter loves hats! I have made her at least three so far! I just know she will love this one too…however, it will have to wait till next year. I have an afghan I'm working on plus 3 rag quilts and 3 lap quilts…alll for Christmas!!!!
    You are very talented, thank you for sharing! Merry Christmas to you and yours.

Wow this Pattern is Great! all your patterns are amazing, I just learned to crochet recently and I always come here for ideas beacause they are so simple to follow and your directions are very easy to understand. Thank you for sharing your impressive talents.

This is seriously adorable!! One of my favorite projects this week. You really know how to design with crochet. I love that you used felt for the ears. Thanks for sharing at Hookin On Hump Day!

Hi J Jones, I am sorry for the trouble but this is definitely a coincidence. I have never seen your shop nor have I purchased a pattern from you. And I too work very hard on my patterns and tutorials. I spent over a year perfecting my basic beanie pattern. And my blog is also a source of income for me and my family. I would never steal any patterns from any fellow crocheters. But being an experienced crocheter, I have found that there are only so many ways to do things like crochet in rounds to make a beanie or crochet an earflap. So I am sure that we aren't the only ones that have similar patterns. I wish only the best for you and your business and you are more than welcome to promote your shop on my facebook wall. I have many people asking me to crochet hats for them and I am not in the business of the selling my crocheted items. Just maintaining my blog takes up the majority of my time. Feel free to e-mail me privately if you would like to talk more. RepeatCrafterMe@gmail.com. Thanks, Sarah

What a beautiful hat! Thank you for the pattern. What size hook are you using for the main part of the hat? I don't see it written in the pattern. Thanks!

So as a whole I LOVE your blog. I am on here all the time getting ideas for patterns of my own or just using yours as is. I just made your penguin a few days ago and I am getting it photographed for my boutique! It is so great that you list your patterns for free for other crocheters like myself to use! I wish I had the time to start a blog! Honestly don't know where to start! Maybe when my 2 are a little bit older :o)

so i just finished making this reindeer hat in the child size using the exact same yarn and hook and have made several other patterns of yours and they have all come out the correct size however this one doesn't fit my 9 year old it fits my 21 month old. I am not sure if it is due to this hat being worked in hdc and the other patterns I have made of yours is done in dc either way is there any suggestions of where to add stiches to make it bigger without being to big and now i am wondering if i make the adult size will it be to small? please help!?

Thank you for the pattern, Rudolph is so cute! Are there any other ways to download and print the antlers, I can't print them unless I buy a subscription to Scrbd. Thanks again!

Hello. I LOVE this hat!! Unfortunately I am unable to view the pattern for the crotched antler and eyes… it goes to a page that is unavailable. Any suggestions???
    Thank you!!

Which hook do you use for the hat I just tore mine after ten rounds because I used the f hook and I'm pretty sure it was coming out too small but I don't want to use the size h hook and it come out too big

I really would like to print out the antler pattern but unfortunately it takes me to Scribd.com where I have to pay for using their site. Why are we not able to download the pattern for free. I thought all your patterns were free. I'm confused. Carol

The pattern was ridiculously difficult to download and print. I realize that you need to accommodate the advertisers, but many of the links do not go were they say they will go, but instead go to Kelly Blue Book, etc. This is misleading. I really appreciate your willingness to share this pattern, but I became very frustrated the the design of the site.
    Thank you for sharing this pattern.