Homemade Hand Warmers

Keep your hands and your hearts warm this winter with these homemade hand warmers! This would make a great last minute holiday gift, or plan ahead and make this for your sweetheart for Valentine’s Day.

It requires a little bit of sewing, but if you have a sewing machine this project would be even easier. Sorry, no gluing allowed.
You will need:
– Felt (in colors of your choice) or you could use Fleece. Make sure it is non-synthetic, otherwise it could melt in microwave.
– Yarn or embroidery thread for sewing
– Needle
– Cup of uncooked rice
Nothing is cuter and cozier than a sweet little owl and I am providing the template I used to create my owl shaped hand warmers. But you could make any shape you want. The simpler the shape, the less sewing you will need to do.

Owl Hand Warmers Template

First, use the template to cut out the shapes from felt. Make sure you cut two pieces for the body. Then begin sewing each piece together. You will want to start by sewing the heart to the tummy, then the tummy to the top body piece, then the eyes, then the beak. I used a small tapestry needle and 2-ply yarn to stitch each piece together. Again, much easier if you have a sewing machine. But you could also just make a simple heart shape and use a blanket stitch to sew the edges together.
Before you finish sewing the two body pieces together, fill with rice then sew closed.
When ready to use, heat in microwave for approx. 30 seconds and enjoy up to 30 minutes of heat.
Make “His & Her” owls for a couples gift! Or one for each of your children to keep their hands warm while walking to school or waiting for the bus.

Need other handmade gift ideas? #MyFavoriteBloggers has a great roundup of 12 DIY gifts under $20!

Comments

1. valana says

What a cute n clever idea for stocking stuffers, gift toppers, how about slipping them into a mug along with some home made cocoa for a teacher or a co worker? I love the idea of saving these back for valentines too! Sarah, you always make me smile!

These are so perfect. I just made my good friend an owl hat (I know a lot of people were having issues, but using worsted weight yarn my gauge matched yours perfectly), these would be perfect to go with the hat.

I make neck warmers with the same rice stuffing. One tip is that you can use tea to make them smell nice. I snipped open a couple of tea bags and dumped the tea in with the rice. It subtly scents them when they're warmed up. The good thing about this is that you can use up those weird bags of tea in the back of your pantry – I had a whole bunch of cheap lemon tea that I used, and it smelled great! I'd say 1/2-1 bag of tea in each hand warmer would be more than enough.

Know when you see the postman across the street and he is packages and your excited, hoping one is yours? Thants how I feel when I open my email and see one from your page. I LOVE THESE!!! I am going to make football ones for my boys and then these adorable owls for my girls and me! you ROCK!!!
    Hugs!

5. Jenn says

These are great – I made a bunch last night! Perfect for all those little secret santa's we all have…. A tea bag in the rice worked great (dry coffee was great too)… They are adorable and perfect for the chill while the car warms up or at a cold desk!

Thanks for sharing!

You're so on the ball – V-day already? :-) These are super cute, thanks for sharing the template. And I'll have to look into embedding through Scribd. I keep getting people who ask me to email them because they can't access my documents on Scribd. Anyways, saw you on craftgawker while I was stalking my own submissions and thought I'd say hi!

What a cute idea!! Love the addition of adding tea like Spangled suggested and making a neck warmer too. Love finding a muse and giving me inspiration..thank you!!!

Thank you so much for posting the potholders. They were my Mom's favorite I made them for her years ago and they last forever. I had misplaced the pattern so I was excited to see them. I have received many of great patterns from your site and the best part is you do them free.. Happy Thanksgiving and Merry Christmas to a lady who makes people smile throughout the year.. :)

These are so cute, I am making some for Christmas gifts right now:) Thanks for the template too!! By the way I found you through Pinterest.