Crochet Puppy Hat Pattern

Ask and you shall receive! I’ve had many requests for a puppy hat from my Facebook readers over the past couple months so this pattern was quickly bumped to the top of the to-do list! I also wanted to take a moment to thank everyone who has been so kind and supportive of me and my blog. I’ve received so many wonderful comments and e-mails lately. Thank You! It really means a lot to me and keeps me motivated to keep on crafting and crocheting!

Before we begin let me remind you of some basic directions you should follow while crocheting my hats:
– Always start your rounds in the same stitch as your chain.
– Always join your rounds to the first DC, NOT the chain.
– Your last stitch should be in the stitch before your chain.
– Do NOT count the chain 2 as a stitch.

(You can find pictures of how to start and join your rounds HERE)

– Vanna’s Choice yarn: I used Oatmeal for the base of the hat. Rust, Pink and Dusty Blue for accent colors on the hats in the pictures displayed. Chocolate Brown for nose and mouth and White to sew the button eyes on and in the braided tails. All yarn can be purchase at lionbrand.com

– Two 1″ brown buttons for eyes
– Crochet hook size H-8 (5.0 mm)
– Tapestry needle

Abbreviations:

ch – chain
sl st- slip stitch
SC – Single Crochet
SC Decrease – Single Crochet Decrease
DC – Double Crochet
HDC – Half Double Crochet
Magic Ring – Find a great tutorial including video HERE
Gauge: 2″ across = 7 stitches, 2″ height = 4 rows

Crochet Puppy Hat Pattern

Size: 0-3 Months
Magic ring, 11 DC in magic ring, join to first DC, chain 2
Round 2: 2 DC in each around, join, chain 2 (22 DC)
Round 3: 2 DC in first, DC in next, repeat around, join, chain 2 (33 DC)
Round 4: 2 DC in first, DC in next 2, repeat around, join, chain 2 (44 DC)
Round 5-10: DC in each around, join, chain 2 (44 DC)
do not fasten off, begin on earflap as written below
Size: 3-6 Months
Magic ring, 11 DC in magic ring, join to first DC, chain 2
Round 2: 2 DC in each around, join, chain 2 (22 DC)
Round 3: 2 DC in first, DC in next, repeat around, join, chain 2 (33 DC)
Round 4: 2 DC in first, DC in next 2, repeat around, join, chain 2 (44 DC)

Round 5: 2 DC in first, DC in next 10, repeat around, join, chain 2 (48 DC)
Round 6-11: DC in each around, join, chain 2 (48 DC)

do not fasten off, begin on earflap as written below

Size: 6-9 Months

Magic ring, 11 DC in magic ring, join to first DC, chain 2
Round 2: 2 DC in each around, join, chain 2 (22 DC)
Round 3: 2 DC in first, DC in next, repeat around, join, chain 2 (33 DC)
Round 4: 2 DC in first, DC in next 2, repeat around, join, chain 2 (44 DC)

Round 5: 2 DC in first, DC in next 10, repeat around, join, chain 2 (48 DC)

Round 6: 2 DC in first, DC in next 11, join, chain 2 (52 DC)
Round 7-12: DC in each around, join, chain 2 (52 DC)
do not fasten off, begin on earflap as written below

Size: 9-12 Months (Should fit up to about 16 months)

Magic ring, 11 DC in magic ring, join to first DC, chain 2
Round 2: 2 DC in each around, join, chain 2 (22 DC)
Round 3: 2 DC in first, DC in next, repeat around, join, chain 2 (33 DC)
Round 4: 2 DC in first, DC in next 2, repeat around, join, chain 2 (44 DC)

Round 5: 2 DC in first, DC in next 10, repeat around, join, chain 2 (48 DC)

Round 6: 2 DC in first, DC in next 11, join, chain 2 (52 DC)

Round 7: 2 DC in first, DC in next 12, join, chain 2 (56 DC)
Round 8-13: DC in each around, join, chain 2 (56 DC)
do not fasten off, begin on earflap as written below

Size: Toddler/Preschooler
Magic ring, 11 DC in magic ring, join to first DC, chain 2
Round 2: 2 DC in each around, join, chain 2 (22 DC)
Round 3: 2 DC in first, DC in next, repeat around, join, chain 2 (33 DC)
Round 4: 2 DC in first, DC in next 2, repeat around, join, chain 2 (44 DC)

Round 5: 2 DC in first, DC in next 10, repeat around, join, chain 2 (48 DC)
Round 6: 2 DC in first, DC in next 11, join, chain 2 (52 DC)
Round 7: 2 DC in first, DC in next 12, join, chain 2 (56 DC)
Round 8: 2 DC in first, DC in next 13, join, chain 2 (60 DC)
Round 9-14: DC in each around, join, chain 2 (60 DC)
do not fasten off, begin on earflap as written below

Size: Child
Magic ring, 11 DC in magic ring, join to first DC, chain 2
Round 2: 2 DC in each around, join, chain 2 (22 DC)
Round 3: 2 DC in first, DC in next, repeat around, join, chain 2 (33 DC)
Round 4: 2 DC in first, DC in next 2, repeat around, join, chain 2 (44 DC)

Round 5: 2 DC in first, DC in next 10, repeat around, join, chain 2 (48 DC)
Round 6: 2 DC in first, DC in next 11, join, chain 2 (52 DC)
Round 7: 2 DC in first, DC in next 12, join, chain 2 (56 DC)
Round 8: 2 DC in first, DC in next 13, join, chain 2 (60 DC)
Round 9: 2 DC in first, DC in next 14, join, chain 2 (64 DC)
Round 10-15: DC in each around, join, chain 2 (64 DC)
do not fasten off, begin on earflap as written below

Size: Teen/Adult
Magic ring, 11 DC in magic ring, join to first DC, chain 2
Round 2: 2 DC in each around, join, chain 2 (22 DC)
Round 3: 2 DC in first, DC in next, repeat around, join, chain 2 (33 DC)
Round 4: 2 DC in first, DC in next 2, repeat around, join, chain 2 (44 DC)

Round 5: 2 DC in first, DC in next 10, repeat around, join, chain 2 (48 DC)
Round 6: 2 DC in first, DC in next 11, join, chain 2 (52 DC)
Round 7: 2 DC in first, DC in next 12, join, chain 2 (56 DC)
Round 8: 2 DC in first, DC in next 13, join, chain 2 (60 DC)
Round 9: 2 DC in first, DC in next 14, join, chain 2 (64 DC)
Round 10: 2 DC in first, DC in next 15, join, chain 2 (68 DC)
Round 11-16: DC in each around, join, chain 2 (68 DC)
do not fasten off, begin on earflap as written below

_____________________________________________
Earflaps for 0-3 months – Preschooler

Earflap 1:
Chain 1, SC in next 10, chain 1, turn
Row 2: SC decrease, SC in next 6, SC decrease, chain 1, turn
Row 3: SC across (8 SC)
Row 4: SC decrease, SC in next 4, SC decrease, chain 1, turn
Row 5: SC across ( 6 SC)
Row 6: SC decrease, SC in next 2, SC decrease, chain 1, turn
Row 7: SC across (4 SC)
Row 8: Make 2 SC decreases, chain 1, turn
Row 9: SC decrease, fasten off, weave in ends

Earflap 2:

See picture below for second earflap placement

Chain 1, SC in next 10, chain 1, turn
Row 2: SC decrease, SC in next 6, SC decrease, chain 1, turn
Row 3: SC across (8 SC)
Row 4: SC decrease, SC in next 4, SC decrease, chain 1, turn
Row 5: SC across ( 6 SC)
Row 6: SC decrease, SC in next 2, SC decrease, chain 1, turn
Row 7: SC across (4 SC)
Row 8: Make 2 SC decreases, chain 1, turn
Row 9: SC decrease, fasten off, weave in ends
With accent color:
Beginning at any point on the hat (I usually like to begin at the tip of the earflap), SC around hat and earflaps, fasten off weave in ends.

Earflaps for Child – Adult
Earflap 1:

Chain 1, SC in next 12, chain 1, turn
Row 2: SC decrease, SC in next 8, SC decrease, chain 1, turn
Row 3: SC across (10 SC)
Row 4: SC decrease, SC in next 6, SC decrease, chain 1, turn
Row 5: SC across ( 8 SC)
Row 6: SC decrease, SC in next 4, SC decrease, chain 1, turn
Row 7: SC across ( 6 SC)
Row 8: SC decrease, SC in next 2, SC decrease, chain 1, turn
Row 9: SC across (4 SC)
Row 10: Make 2 SC decreases, chain 1, turn
Row 11: SC decrease, fasten off, weave in ends

Earflap 2:
See picture for second earflap placement
Chain 1, SC in next 12, chain 1, turn
Row 2: SC decrease, SC in next 8, SC decrease, chain 1, turn
Row 3: SC across (10 SC)
Row 4: SC decrease, SC in next 6, SC decrease, chain 1, turn
Row 5: SC across ( 8 SC)
Row 6: SC decrease, SC in next 4, SC decrease, chain 1, turn
Row 7: SC across ( 6 SC)
Row 8: SC decrease, SC in next 2, SC decrease, chain 1, turn
Row 9: SC across (4 SC)
Row 10: Make 2 SC decreases, chain 1, turn
Row 11: SC decrease, fasten off, weave in ends

With accent color:

Second earflap placement: Fold hat in half leaving slightly more stitches in the front of the hat than the back. Place the second earflap to line up with the first earflap (between the red arrows in this picture).
Attach yarn at the tip of the earflap and being single crocheting around entire edge of hat

Braided Tails: Cut three 1 yard strands of each color (9 strands total). Pass through last space in earflap. You should now have 18 strands to braid with.
Make knot and braid approx 5.5 inches long, knot, trim ends.

__________________________________________

Ears (make two of each):
Outside of Ears:Chain 6, HDC in 2nd Chain from hook, HDC across, chain 1, turn (5 HDC)
Row 2-6: HDC across (5 HDC), chain 1, turn
(This is where you could continue Making rows of HDC’s to make the ear longer. To make the ear wider, start with a longer chain. )
Row 7: HDC decrease, HDC, HDC decrease, continue to SC around and when you get to the top, make two HDC decrease right before Sl St to join, fasten off
Note: It helps to make 2 SC in each bottom corners.

Inside of Ear:
Chain 4, HDC in 2nd Ch from hook, HDC across (3 HDC), chain 1, turn
Row 2-5: HDC across (3 HDC), chain 1, turn
at the end of Row 5, continue to SC around and when you get to the top, make two HDC decrease right before Sl St to join, fasten off

Note: It helps to make 2 SC in each bottom corners.
Sew the inside of the ear to the outside of the ear but be careful to sew only on the inside stitches so the yarn doesn’t show through the outer ear.

Sew finished ear to hat. I placed mine at about the 3rd round.

Eye Patch:
Magic Ring, Chain 2 and make 8 HDC in ring, join to first HDC, chain 2
Round 2: 2 HDC in first two stitches, 2 DC in next 4 stitches, 2 HDC in last two stitches, join to first HDC, fasten off leaving long tail to sew onto hat.

To make the eye patch larger, continue with Round 3 by making 2 SC or HDC (depending on how big you want it) in each stitch around.

Want to make a puppy love hat? Crochet a heart instead of a circle for the eye patch. I followed THIS free heart pattern but stopped after round 2.

Nose:
Chain 5, HDC in second chain from hook, HDC in next two stitches, 2 HDC in last stitch,
now working on opposite side of chain, HDC in next 3, 2 HDC in last stitch, fasten off leaving long tail to sew nose onto hat.

Video tutorial on how to sew on nose and mouth:

Download a PDF of the pattern HERE

Want more free patterns? Keep in touch on my Repeat Crafter Me Facebook Page for new pattern sneak peeks and when they will be available on my blog!

*** You may make and sell products from my patterns but if you do I ask that you link back to my post. Please do not copy and post this pattern and claim it as your own. Please do not re-publish photos as your own.***

Comments

You're awesome! I've made your snowman,and owl hats. I was just looking for a doggy hat yesterday! Thank you! :) I'v been crocheting for about six months now, I still need direction for little things two toned ears.

Hi, i love you patterns!!
    I from Chile and i have a questions about sizes , what is the age for size toddler/preschooler, child and Teen/Adult.
    Thanks!!

I always love to come and see what is new on your blog. You have the most amazing patterns and I am always happy to get a good quality pattern for free. :)

I love this hat and so do my 3 kids! I have already made 1 for each of them based on the picture you posted on facebook and will now make 2 more for my niece and nephew (I'll try using the pattern this time!)
    Thank you so much for the adorable inspiration/pattern!

Hi there!
    I found you blog and I really loved all posts here!!
    I have a crafter blog as well then every day ( when I can) I like to spend some free time surfing on the Internet looking all about crafts. You look are a good mother, wife and crafter like I'm trying to be. :)
    Anyway, congrats about you blog!! Every day I will back here!!
    If you want to know about my crafts as well please see my blog : http://www.atelieanapaulayoshida.blogspot.co.uk
    I hope to see there!!
    Xx
    Ana

These are so adorable! I just taught myself some knitting. When I finish learning a bit then I am going to crochet! Love this, thanks for sharing the pattern I hope I can use it in the future. Happy New Year! Visiting from DearCreatives.com

evening, I'm not real computer smart. lol. im trying to make a mermaid outfit (crochet). I'm having a lot of trouble making fins…if you could help me or have suggestions please email me… thank you. jbarlow0825@yahoo.com Janet

So cute! My little grandson will be getting one of these. They have been wearing their Gingerbread hats to death! They just love them! Thank you again for the pattern.
    Would you happen to have a good pattern for a brimmed hat? I've really never cared for the brims that I've put on hats, they don't seem to have any body.
    Much appreciated – Ellie

9. Melissa says

Thank you for the video!! Adorable pattern (as are all of yours), as soon as I showed my 5 yo the picture & told him the pattern was out, he started hopping around the living room "can you make me one?! Can you make me on pleeeeeeeease?!" Of course I started right then. I think I'm a little confused one how to make the outer ear though & which end of it to attach to the hat. I'll do my best to figure it out. Thank you for all the wonderful patterns, I really love them!!

This is the most cutest crochet hat I have ever seen! I will be crocheting this hat for my little son very soon. I have to say, your blog has been very inspirational for me. One of my favorite blogs. :)
    Kate (from Poland)

fabulous, and so happy to see that you also do not count the ch2 as a stitch, and don't join to it either, that always makes holes and yet so many patterns still do it that way! Thanks so much for sharing on Craft Schooling sunday!

12. Mayela May says

This is so adorable just all the other ones you posted! I have one question….where did you get the brown buttons? I live in a small town. No craft stores around. Do you get them for a craft store or the internet? I really would appreciate your reply!!!
    THANK YOU!

I have a question: I look your hats are pretty rounded mines look wide. Any reason for that? And BTW I love all your croche works, I will share my baby owl hat once I finisched!

Oh good grief, Sarah, this is so precious I can't take it! I have GOT to make these for my boys, and one for the new baby! You are so talented! And you've got some nice bling in that video :)! Great job! Thanks for sharing at Hookin On Hump Day!

Sarah-Thank you for being so gracious to share your ideas. I crochet for charity and the kiddoes will love this!!

I really enjoy your site. You have an amazing gift for crochet and are even more amazing with your generosity. Suzanne

I love your hat! Thank you for publishing it for us. I do need your help though! I am a new crocheter and still struggling with the basics a bit. I make this hat for my 3 year old son (using the pattern for the preschool) and the hat is almost too big for me! Obviously my gage is out, but how do I know how to fix it? I know I need a smaller needle, but how do I know how small to go?

Hi. I always know to go up a hook size because I crochet tight. If you hats are coming out too big, try going down a hook size or 2. Once you feel it is at the size it should be then you know how to adjust for patterns. I ALWAYS have to go up a hook size…not just for these patterns. Hope this helps. The preschooler size should fit a 1-3 yr old.

18. Shelby says

LOVE this!!!! I made this for a friend for her new baby boy arriving in a few weeks, and she just LOVES it. Thank you sooo much for all your free patterns and other crafts. I just love checking to see what is new that you're doing! Really looking forward to the new bunny pattern!!

I love these! They are awesome! I did find a trick with the heart patch though that I wanted to share. I always found that I ended up with a circle or hole in the middle of my heart that I didn't like. Maybe it is just me, but I couldn't seem to make it go away. What did finally work is I used the magic circle! I chained 3 and then followed the directions only doing the stiches into the magic circle instead of the first of the 4 chains. Works awesome! Flawless heart everytime!

20. Maritza says

I just finished your puppy dog hat. I had tried the owl and it was so cute I had to try this one. I think it's not too bad for first animal hats. My kids love them. Thanks for putting them on here. I enjoy them.

I have a baby shower to attend in five days and wanted a "little something else" to go with the main present. As we are all waiting until the birth day to find out girl or boy, this hat will make a perfect gift. You are so creative. Thank you.

Question… At the end of the hat pattern it says to chain 2 and then at the beginning of the ear flap says to chain 1… it left a pretty good sized hole? Should I have skipped chaining 2 if I was making the earflap? Thank you so much the pattern has come along great! :)

Thank you for the pattern; I just finished a newborn pink puppy and it turned out very cute. I added a bow to the left ear and used Loops & Threads country Loom in a darker pink for the heart eye, nose, and inner ear, also used it for the braids. This yarn gave the hat some dimmension. Thank you again for the pattern.

Thank you for all your wonderful patterns. I have made the owl hat several times in all the sizes. This is my first time making the puppy dog pattern and it turned out so cute! I also made the monkey hat and it is so cute! I love all the patterns you have on here. They are so cute. Thank you so much for all these wonderful patterns.

I just made one in a 0-3 month size, it's so cute! I did notice that you don't need as much length (the 1 yard requested) for the braids, but I just cut them down to size for the tiny hat. Thanks for such a fun pattern!

sooo lovely!! i saw this kind of hat few time ago, but I didn't find a pattern before, thanks so much for sharing, i love everything i have seen here in your blog. I can feel that everything is really made with all your love. I will follow you fron now!! :) best wishes for you and your family :)

This is a great pattern, thank you. I have a question on the ear flaps, thought I see you didn't answer another great question in the comments (about the ch2 at the end of the pattern) so I'll probably just figure it out.

It says "Ch1 turn" only at the end of the decreasing rows, but not at the ones that are SC across…. don't I still need to turn at the end of each row?

Thanks!

I absolutely love these hats. Everyone is going to be getting one or two for Christmas, just might put one in their stockings too..and my kids are 24 & 22.. lol I'm heading to Michael's this weekend for more wool, once I start, I can't stop. I will post some pictures when I have a few done :-) :-) :-)

This pattern is NOT FREE! I'm sorry, but when I gotta put up $8.99 FOR A GUEST PASS, then the pattern, at least as far as I am concerned, is not free at all! That makes this deceitful in my mind. What a horrid way to drive traffic to a 'site'. I will take a pass on it, thank you very much!

Thanks so very much for sharing your patterns, also the tutorial for attaching the nose and eyes. I haven't found a tut for that. I made a sponge bob hat and I wasn't thinking that there was a front and back, and the eyes didn't look like I wanted them to.

Thanks again Sarah

Cathrin

hi I love this hat , I'm making one and I have a question, I don't really understand how to make the ears, do you have any video about how to make the ears and how to sew them on the hat?
    Thank you for sharing your patterns I really love them all..
    catalina

I made the puppy love hat for my Granddaughter, and everyone loves it. I also made puppy hats, for friends with small children. Best hat ever!! I use the basic pattern for all the hats I make now :)

Thanks so much for writing such an easy to follow pattern! I loved making this hat . . . it was my first ever attempt. I can't wait to make an owl hat now . . . and I'll be making another puppy hat as well! I really appreciate your generosity for posting this on your blog for FREE!! Simply amazing!

Hi Sarah! I love your blog your the reason I started to crochet i was a knitter for years and your cute patterns gave me the push to teach myself I have made several of your patterns and I was just
    wondering how do you come up with the increases tried to make my own hat patterns but they never turn out as nicely shaped as your I thought you might have some tips thanks and keep up the great work!

You create the cutest things! I've made so many of your hats! This is the first time I've made the puppy hat though 😀 Thanks so much for sharing your super creativeness!

This hat is incredible! I love it! I'm going to make it. If I end up featuring it on my blog after I'm done, I will link to your tutorial and let you know. Thanks again! I'm excited to make this hat!

-Heidi

Hi, I love your sight and find many adorable patterns that I love to create. I am an experienced crocheter, over 25 years; however I do have a problem getting the puppy hat to gauge. I have made several times with different hooks and yarn. Has anyone else had this problem? They always come out to big! I hate when things like this beat me…lol! Any suggestions?
    I have used a pattern called "the easy easy beanie" with no issues. I guess I can use that to make the hats, but like I said it's have this beat me :)

This hat is adorable! I just finished one tonight and it is so cute I hate to wrap it up and give it away! :) Thanks so much!

Hi Sarah,
    I am your newest fan :-) Love, love, love your little puppy cap pattern. Made two cute little ones for two sweet little boys. Thank you so much for sharing your talent. I wrote a post about them if you'd like to come over and check it out. Thank you again. Wishing you a wonderful weekend.

Hugs and Kisses,
    ♥Ana

Thank you , thank you for sharing this adorable pattern! I've been looking for a hat to make for a very, very special baby. It's a long story, but I adopted a baby girl who had been born with a very serious birth defect, nearly a half century ago. Her birth parents were very young and we had no contact, as was the case with many adoptions back then. A few years ago, my daughter and I searched and succeeded at locating her birth parents. Neither of them had had any more children, because they were afraid the same thing would happen. Her birth defect was so serious that many children die of it, and those her survive often have long-term problems, so they were really shocked, pleasantly, to hear that they had a happy, healthy, beautiful, daughter, who wanted to meet them. Well, seeing how well things turned out with her made her birth father start thinking. He was so young when she was born, that he and his wife were still young enough to have a baby. That baby was born a few days ago, and he's healthy and perfect! I wanted to crochet him some special hats and booties to keep him warm this coming Winter, and your puppy hats are PERFECT! I'm going to start on it right away!

Hi. Thank you so much for sharing so many patterns. Did the rudolph applique yesterday, it's really cool. I have a question on the hat sizes. Have you got any measurements of what size the hats should measure as a guide line as there are so many conflicting sizes on line. Sorry for being awkward.