Ever since I made my polymer clay Owl Stitch Markers, I’ve had a couple e-mails asking how to make yarn ball stitch markers. It sounded easy enough and I even wondered why people were asking…I mean, couldn’t you just ball up a coil of clay? Well after 3 hours of messing around with polymer clay, it really isn’t as easy as you would hope. Let me show you how I ended up molding my clay to look most like a ball of yarn.
First get your supplies. You will need:
1. Polymer Clay. Fimo, Sculpey, and Craft Smart are some popular brands. I used Sculpey III clay that I purchased at Michaels in a variety color pack.
2. Sculpey Gloss Glaze (and paint brush).
3. Wire cutters and you will probably also need some needle nose pliers as well.
4. Small Jump Rings. I used 6mm.
5. Lobster Clasps/Closures no smaller than 12mm.
6. Eye pins.
7. Optional: exacto knife and clay tools. I have the Sculpey 5-in-1 tool kit. The exacto knife cuts the clay easily.
(or according to the clay package directions)