Hooded Crochet Cowl with Lion Brand Thick & Quick Yarn #Scarfie

Zoe and I are showing off our Lion Brand Yarn #Scarfie projects today! What is a #Scarfie you ask? It’s when you take a selfie (a picture of yourself) while wearing a crocheted or knit cowl or scarf! Selfie + Scarf = Scarfie… see what they did there?! :)

Lion Brand Yarn generously provided me with two skeins of their Wool-Ease Thick & Quick Yarn and I transformed them into matching hooded cowls for me and my baby girl. This yarn is super bulky, soft, and works up quickly! The pattern I have created is very adjustable and very simple. It uses one stitch throughout: the Half Double Crochet. I’m confident a beginner could make this!

Lion Brand Wool-Ease Thick & Quick Yarn in Fisherman and Fig. Although they sent me 2 skeins (on of each) I ended up using 3 skeins for my adult size and 2 skeins for the toddler size.
– Size I/9 crochet Hook
– Two large buttons
– Large Tapestry Needle

Abbreviations:
Ch = Chain
HDC = Half Double Crochet

Note about pattern: This pattern is totally adjustable. Both of these cowls turned out large. My daughter is 13 months old and it was roomy. Mine could have been made smaller and would have still fit well. But the oversized look is what makes this comfy and cozy. My suggestion is when making your foundation chains to measure it along your head (like a hood would fit) and then when making the extra chains for the cowl part, try it on and get a feel for how long you want it to wrap around. Continue to try it on as you go so you can adjust the number of rows you make to make it fit for you. Or feel free to follow the pattern as it is written :)

Small Hooded Cowl:
Begin with the hood.
Chain 37, HDC in 3rd ch from hook and rest of way down, ch 2, turn (35 HDC)
Row 2- 13: HDC in each stitch across, ch 2 turn
Fasten off.
Fold it in half so it looks like a bonnet. Sew back together by making SC crochets along the back edges. Weave in ends and turn inside out (you wan the seam to be on the inside).

Now the cowl.
Attach yarn, chain 2 and HDC along bottom. I was able to make 42 HDC along bottom (the exact count doesn’t really matter) when you get to the end chain 20 (if I were to make again I would decrease that to 10-15).
Row 2: HDC in 3rd chain from hook and rest of way down chain.. Continue to Hdc along the edge of cowl (60 HDC), ch 2, turn
Row 3: HDC in first 57, chain 2, skip 2 stitches, Hdc in last (this creates the button hole), ch 2, turn
Row 4-5: HDC in each stitch across, ch 2, turn
Row 6: HDC in first 57, chain 2, skip 2 stitches, Hdc in last (this creates the button hole), ch 2, turn
Row 7: HDC in each stitch across, fasten off and weave in ends.
Sew buttons on.

Large Hooded Cowl:
Being with the hood.
Chain 42, HDC in 3rd chain from hook and rest of way down (40 HDC), ch 2, turn
Row 2: 2 HDC in first, HDC in next, repeat across, ch 2, turn (60 Hdc)
Row 3-19: HDC in each stitch across, ch 2, turn
Fasten off weave in ends

Fold in half and sew back edge together with single crochets.
Turn inside out so your seam is hidden on the inside of the hood

Connect yarn to one end of the bottom edge and chain 2. HDC across bottom. When you get to other end chain 20.
Row 2-3: HDC in each stitch across, chain 2, turn

Row 4: HDC in each stitch across until you get to last stitches in row. Chain 2, skip 2 stitches, HDC in last two. This creates the button hole. Chain 2, turn
Row 5-7: HDC in each stitch across, chain 2, turn
Row 8: HDC in each stitch across until you get to last stitches in row. Chain 2, skip 2 stitches, HDC in last two. This creates the button hole. Chain 2, turn
Row 9-10: HDC in each stitch across, chain 2, turn
Fasten off and weave in ends.
Sew buttons on.

Now I encourage you to post and share your own #Scarfie project! I would love to see you wearing this hooded cowl or your own Thick & Quick creation! Be sure to use the hashtag #Scarfie when you post on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram!

Comments

LOVE this pattern… very clever, ( I also love the name ! its catchy! ) I hope to find the time to make this I am planning a shopping trip to my local wool shop this week, I think I will take a look. If I dont find the Lion Brand what other wool would you suggest. Also … love the little model she is a natural. ( Very Cute ) Also …. love the fig colour . Thanks for sharing your pattern.

Soooo cute…..Two questions though….Does yours stick out in the back like your daughters (can't tell from the photo)..and..Do you have any objections to the finished products being sold using this pattern?

Wow, I love this gorgeous cowl. Next days the weather will be great, but soon it will become colder. You and your lovely little daughter are showing the cowls beautiful. Thanks so much for the pattern.

Have a pleasant day, Margaret

Hey Corinne it looks like they are using a bulky weight yarn. That would make it much larger. I realized the same thing after I just reached row seven.

Love this pattern!! However I'm not sure if there is a mistake or my error. When I do button hole in row 4 of adult that puts hole on hooded side rather than scarf side. I tried comparing to child's instructions but that appears off to me as well since one hole is on even row while other is on an odd which would put them on opposite sides. I think it's a simple adjustment. And it could be my mistake.

Anyone have an answer to the I or N question? I tried w/ an old I (no numbers on it, was my great-grandmothers) but the hood section was to small. Going to start w/ an N-9.00mm now but hoping this gets answered. If it's not by the time I'm done I'll post my results. I'm not a pro so I don't fully understand all the conversions.

I am going to make this cowl as a gift but have a bulky (5) yarn that I would love to use instead. Do you think it would greatly affect the sizing if I used a bulky instead of super bulky (6)? Could anyone offer advice on adjustments to make to compensate for the lighter weight yarn? Larger hook? more chains? Double crochet instead of HDC? Thanks!!
    Amanda

Made this for my daughters friend, I have a pointy top and was wondering if there was a way to reduce this, hoping to give it to her tomorrow as it is quite cold here in Ontario Canada

Hi Patricia, what CH2 turn means is that at the end of the row you just worked, you would chain 2 and then turn your work so you can continue to crochet another row…the purpose for this is so the edges of your work will match the height of your stitches so that your piece will be nice and flat. If you are doing a single crochet (sc) then you would normally chain 1, then turn your work. If you are using a double crochet stitch (dc) then you would chain 3, then turn. The higher your stitch is the more chains you have to do at the edges. I hope this helps you. If you don't do the chain stitches at the edges your piece may look like the edges were gathered giving your work a bit of a puckered look.

Making child's , it is long on one side were the button holes are. Is this right. Do you go around the hood each time you do a row for the cowl? Your help would be appreciated.

10. Grace says

Hi, for the hood part, row 2 do you do 2 HDC in one stitch then 1 in next stitch doingthesame all the way down? Thanks for your help!

• Vicky says

Grace,
      Sorry i know this is an older post. But if you didnt figure it out, you are correct. Its 2 HDC then 1HDC All the way … I was stuckas well there , but what helped me was seeing the end count stitches . So many people write their patterns different and also making sure its in US terms is a big one as well. Has anyone completed this and happy with the results. This will b my third try both in which i got halfway aroundthr cowl before… first time, realizing it was going to b too small and second ,using the same worsted weight but bigger needle. I was trying to b stubborn. I like the worsed weight look better.So here goes im using super chunky. What is the best hook size …that was used? And the button issue, did you ladys just switch rows? Thanks

11. Paula says

Love it.
    Please email me. I have some questions about the pattern. Just need clarification on some of it. Thanks!

12. Michelle says

Which is the back side? Where you started or where you need? It seems so big when I did it and sewed the side where I needed. Is this right?

13. Lisa DeMars says

Hello! I am mostly done and mine isn’t perfect either, so I am going to wing it for the button holes. I am using 2 strands of yarn and an N–9mm. hook. Mine got a little large when I started the scarf part so that’s where I have to change things up a bit. It would be really nice if the actual dimensions were given, or a gauge measurement. Otherwise, I would always suggest using the hook that your yarn suggests and adjusting the size. Love this cowl, can’t wait to finish!

14. Debra Qvist says

Hi, I am new to your website and love the hooded cowl, however, the hook size you indicate seems very small for this super bulky yarn. They recommend a N but your pattern says an I.

15. Juliane Kendall says

I recommend only using the yarn specified for the Hooded Crochet Cowl. I used a finer yarn and it did not turn out as baggy as pictured.

16. Pam says

I really love this pattern but since I am a stroke patient sometimes it is hard for me to understand now were I am getting confused at is sewing the hood together, should I be sewing on the edge of Row 2: 2 HDC in first, HDC in next, repeat across, ch 2, turn (60 Hdc) or should I be sewing the straight edges together and then when I chain 20 for the scarf am I going from edge to edge I am really confused. please help

• Vicky says

Pam,
      My guess as im taking it on now. Would be in picture , it looks as if the smaller end inside out was sewed together, but remember keep in mind if you dont use a tapestry needle and sew the part that would b the crown part , at a slight angle in thecorner … by bending slightly and sewing ,you will have a point in the top of the coel and the scarf rows go on the button hole side thrn all the way around.

I thought this was so cool looking, but I did end up having to do it twice. The HDC didn’t work for me. I used the Wool-Ease Thick and Quick yarn and with the HDC, it was very stiff and when I got to row 19, the hood was nowhere large enough for my head. So I unraveled and did a DC stitch instead. That was perfect – it made the 19 rows work out for my head and it was more flexible as it appears in the photo. I did have another variation to your instructions. When I was on row 4 for the cowl, I had to DC in the 1st 2 stitches , chain 2 , skip 2 stitches and DC the rest of the row. In your instructions, you had it come at the end, but for me, when I was at row 4, I was where the holes needed to be at the beginning. This is also the case for row 8. Lastly, if I were to make it again, I think I would increase stitches on each row of the cowl. I believe that would make it lay better. Like 2DC first stitch, DC second Stitch, 2DC 3rd stitch and so on. That might make it too big – it would be something to play around with. It kind of bunches in the back and doesn’t lay very flat.

Still, would never have gotten started without you! So thanks again! Hope this helps others.