U is for Unicorn: Crochet Unicorn Applique

U is for Unicorn
I know I said the penguin was my favorite but I think I changed my mind. This unicorn is my favorite! Such a magical creature with a colorful rainbow mane. Remember that I also have a free Unicorn Crochet Hat Pattern!
– Worsted weight yarn. I used Lion Brand Vanna’s Choice in the same colors as my unicorn hat.
РSize G Crochet Hook (the bigger the hook the bigger the appliqu̩ and vice versa)
– Tapestry needle
Abbreviations:
Sl St = Slip Stitch
SC =  Single Crochet
HDC = Half Double Crochet
DC = Double Crochet
TC = Triple Crochet
Unicorn Applique Pattern:

Chain 10, DC in 3rd chain from hook, HDC, DC, TC in last 5, chain 4, TC in 3rd chain from hook and in last chain, join to bottom of last TC, chain 1, turn
SC around back of head and along bottom (about 9 SC), ch 1 turn
2 SC in first, sc in next 2, 2 SC in last, chain 1, turn
Row 2-5: SC in each stitch across, ch 1, turn.
Fasten off leaving long tail

Horn: attach yellow yarn in front of where the join is on the top of the head. chain 4, slip stitch in first, SC in next, HDC in next, join to next stitch, fasten off weave in ends
Knot rainbow strands of yarn down head for mane.
Make a french knot for the eye.

*** You may make and sell products from my patterns but if you do I ask that you link back to my post. Please do not copy and post this pattern and claim it as your own. Please do not re-publish photos as your own.***
Want more free patterns? Keep in touch on my Repeat Crafter Me Facebook Page for new pattern sneak peeks and when they will be available on my blog! And feel free to post pictures of your finished hats and/or links to your shops on my Facebook wall so all can see. Be sure to also follow me on Instagram! I love when you tag me (@repeatcrafterme)!

Comments

Gorgeous. I know a few little girls who love horses. They will love your unicorn also a lot. Thanks for sharing the pattern.

Warm greetings, Margaret

I write a lot of patterns and I can't follow this one. Please follow you pattern directions to see why we are having a hard time following. Cute pattern; I love it.

I too am very confused and I'm a pretty experienced crocheter.My horse's nose also looks like an alligator snout.The top of my horse's nose looks more like the bottom of yours and your's does look like a horse

I tried it again using a chain of only 8 and also joining the chain into the bottom of the second last treble rather than the very last and the head came out looking like a horse head. There is a video on youtube in which the horse looks ok but the video is in Spanish which I don't speak so I altered this one. also in the video she used a stitch I've never seen.I think it's some kind of treble but it's not the usual one although I think it has the same effect or at least close

5. Esther CW says

Hi, this is gorgeous and I would like to use it on a Christmas present I’m making for a friend’s daughter but I’m having trouble understanding the pattern. Could you please clarify the steps for the head? Thank you so so much. You have a fantastic website.

6. Tracey says

The unicorn is so cute but I am also struggling with this pattern – would it be possible to publish the tutorial image steps?….as so many people are struggling, many thanks

7. coni says

I have done all appliques no problem, but this… it’s really not well explained. Any chance you could help all of us who are in the same situation? It’s very frustrating as I am not an expert and can’t figure it out on my own… I’ve worked a lot for this one to turn out ugly…

8. Sarah-Louise Thexto says

This pattern is impossible! I got to “join to bottom of last TC, chain 1, turn” and am freaking stumped. I tried every which way to try to make sense of this, and ended up abandoning it and making up my own way. It looks awful and nothing like the photo. Please help us understand, and clarify the instructions!

• Jan Smith says

I am having a problem with this one also. Did anyone get an answer to questions asked? I have all of the other ones finished but this unicorn. Help. Don’t know where to join..looks wrong.

Thanks, Jan

9. Nikki says

I know these comments are from several years ago, but hopefully I can help. On the first row, after you TC, work the 4 chains and the 2 TC, you’re going to slip stitch at the bottom of the last tc you made BEFORE that most recent chain that you just worked into. This slip stitch will be basically into the very first ch 10 you did to start the unicorn. These stitches form the back of the unicorn’s head. I hope that helps!! =)

• Uma says

I have done all other alphabets without any problems and stuck on unicorn…can someone pl clarify…pl rewrite the whole pattern perhaps??
      Thanks a lot..