Crochet Christmas Character Afghan

ChristmasCharacter11

It’s finished! I am proud to show you my completed Crochet Christmas Character Afghan! This was a really fun project that turned into an impromptu CAL (crochet-along) and ultimately becoming a creative outlet for so many of you who were following along. I gave you 9 squares and you guys ran with it, creating handfuls of other Christmas themed pixel squares! I love seeing everyones version of this project. Be sure to use the hashtag #ChristmasCharacterAfghan and tag me @RepeatCrafterMe when posting on social media!

ChristmasCharacter7

So lets talk a little about this project!

Finished Size: 65×50 inches

It consist of 9 square graphs that are 25×25 pixels. I used the C2C (corner-to-corner) technique to crochet each square.  Follow THIS VIDEO DEMONSTRATION by The Crochet Crowd for more explanation on how to crochet C2C afghans.  I used a size F (3.75mm) hook and worsted weight yarn . Specifically Lion Brand Vanna’s Choice  in Kelly Green, Fern Green, Silver Grey, Scarlet Red, Honey, Toffee, Mustard yellow, Little Boy Blue (this color is being discontinued), Colonial Blue, Black, White, Pink, Cranberry (dark red), Beige, and Terracotta orange. I am not sure exactly how much of each color I used since I picked through my stash, ran out to get yarn when needed, and carried leftover from one square into the next… to be on the safe side for each square I would suggest getting two of the colors that are main background colors or frequently used in the square (like Santa’s beard).

VERY IMPORTANT: Instead of the traditional C2C method of using DC’s and chain 3’s to make each pixel, I used HDC’s and only chained 2 (and chained 5 instead 6 on the increase stitches). This allowed me to have a smaller overall afghan square, measuring approximately 15×15 inches. You can absolutely use the traditional method but your square will be much larger and your overall afghan will be much larger as well once you sew them all together.

You do not have to use the C2C method either! You can take this graph and make a standard SC graphgan. This will produce nice small squares (think 25 single crochets wide and tall) that will be perfect for a standard size blanket. You could also make Pixel Granny Squares and use the graphs I post to create separate character blankets. There is also the Bobble Stitch method as well! So many ways to use these graphs!

ChristmasCharactersGraph_Square9_2

All of the pixel graphs are available for free download and have written patterns for the colors changes. Use the highlighted links below to view each individual post.

1. Santa
  2. Christmas Tree
  3. Frosty the Snowman
  4. Santa’s Sleigh
  5. Elf
  6. Gingerbread Man
  7. Wreath
  8. Rudolph
  9. Christmas Stocking
  10. Candy Cane BONUS square and other pixel graph options
  11. Merry Christmas Banners

How to connect your squares and make a border:

First thing you will need to do is determine what color you want to join your squares with and use for the border. As you can see I chose white! It took me 3 skeins for all the borders and joins.

DC around all of your squares, making a DC + 2 chains + DC in each corner.
NOTE: you should have already SC around each square in that specific squares background color.

ChristmasCharacter_Border1

ChristmasCharaceter_Border4

I stitched my squares together by weaving the yarn with a tapestry needle under the tops of the double crochets, back and forth… almost like you are lacing it together. Then I went around the other side and did the same thing. This makes a very solid, tight join which you will need for this heavy blanket. I’m not sure if this stitch has a technical name. It is close to the mattress stitch but not exactly.

ChristmasCharacter_Border3

ChristmasCharacter_Border2

After all of your squares and the top and bottom banners are sewn together, you are ready for your border!

With white, DC around the entire edge make a DC + Chain 2 + DC in the corners. Then using red yarn, crab stitch (this is a reverse SC) around the entire blankets making a Crab stitch + Chain 1 + Crab stitch in the corners. I think THIS VIDEO gives a good visual on how to make the crab stitch.

ChristmasCharacter_Border5

ChristmasCharacter4

And just because I know you are all curious, here is what the backside of the blanket looks like!

ChristmasCharacter_Back

ChristmasCharacter3

ChristmasCharacter8

ChristmasCharacter5

I hope you have enjoyed this project as much as I have! If you need help with your C2C squares, feel free to join my Repeat Crafter Me Crochet Facebook Group! Hundreds of fellow crocheters are also working on this project, asking good questions and getting great answers!

*** You may make and sell products from my patterns but if you do I ask that you link back to my post. Please do not copy and post this pattern and claim it as your own. Please do not re-publish photos as your own.***

Want more free patterns? Keep in touch on my Repeat Crafter Me Facebook Page for new pattern sneak peeks and when they will be available on my blog! And feel free to post pictures of your finished hats and/or links to your shops on my Facebook wall so all can see. Be sure to also follow me on Instagram! I love when you tag me (@repeatcrafterme)! NEW!! I would love for you to join my brand newprivate Facebook group: Repeat Crafter Me Crochet. Tons of kind and supportive women with crocheting skills of all levels. Post your current projects, ask questions, and get inspired!

Comments

1. Carla says

I will be sad when I’m finished my project :( This was so much fun!
    I’m thinking of giving my afghan as a gift OR using it as a fundraiser for our local church, raising money for missions

2. Miriam says

The day we have been waiting for! It looks fantastic!! Your color changes are so clean too. Great job, we’re having a great time following along in the facebook group! :)

3. Jackie says

Thank you so much for sharing this! I am having so much fun working on the squares. I just have one question, did you block your squares?

Thanks again, It’s beautiful!

4. Cheryl Estok says

This is so impressive! A lot of work went in to the design but even more so into the finished product. It is beautiful!

5. Manon says

I love the project, perhaps I missed the info but I would love to know how much yarn of each colour I would need to complete the project. Thanks

6. Gigi says

Your blanket turned out beautifully! I am definitely going to try to make it for next Christmas (first I have to learn to do C2C). You inspire me!

7. Gigi says

Your Christmas blanket turned out beautiful! I am definitely going to try this once I learn how to do C2C and hope to have it completed by next Christmas. My biggest problem is when I try to join squares they never look right. Guess I’ll just have to keep plugging along…

8. Anne says

Your blanket is absolutely amazing! I’ve never seen anything like it. Thanks so much for your generosity in sharing your design for free. :)

9. Sharlyn says

Soooooo cute! Oh my word, I will have to put this on my to do list for the winter. I wish I had time to crochet it right now. Darling!

10. JJ Pop says

Hi How did you transition between colors? Did you carry the yarn or cut with each color change and weave in all the ends?

Your afghan is precious and will be a family heirloom.

11. Cindy says

I have a question about the join. You say, “I stitched my squares together by weaving the yarn with a tapestry needle under the tops of the double crochets, back and forth… almost like you are lacing it together. Then I went around the other side and did the same thing.” when I look at your picture I see you are only sewing through the front loops of the dcs. I am not sure what you mean by: went around the other side and did the same thing. Does that mean you flipped it to the back and sewed the other loops?

Also, do you have a list of materials with the yardage for each color?

Thanks. This is such a cute project.

12. Gina says

Oh my goodness, I love this! I had seen several of the squares and was thinking I’d like to try them out, but to see the finished product it’s outstanding! I really can’t wait to make this. Lovely!! And thank you so much for sharing it with us!

13. Joyce says

Love your patterns but I must say that moving around on your site is slow. You have toooooooo much as far as adds that take to long to load, very frustrating it took me nearly and hour just to get these patterns for the blanket. Don’t think I will visit again.

14. Veronica Thompson says

I’m not to this point yet, crochet ADD has hit me hard but I have loved doing this project. Do you have any pointers on how to go about adding a fabric back? Mine is one hot mess and needs to be covered up!

15. Aida says

Sarah thank you so very very much for sharing this beautiful project. It was my thirst time to make something in pixel c2c and i loved every minute of it!! I post the photo of my afhan on your website and got 1000 likes: all thanks to you!!

found your awesome afghan on facebook at the beginning. followed you the whole way. thank you for this. i got my c2c down pat. and even thought i am still working along, i want to thank you for all the efforts you put into to this. hope to find more great projects in future with you.

17. hayley says

This blanket is so cute!!! I really want to make one!! Hear me out– I think it’d be super cute also, to make a blanket out of rows and rows of just the ornament bulb chart, and the “merry Christmas” row. Basically the top and bottom with rows of ornaments in between. I’m totally inspired! :)

18. mama lieveheersbeestje says

Aahh! I looks lovely, such a cute blanket! I love it.
    I used your patterns for cushions, but I did the double crochet instead.
    I did use two doucle crochet stitches.

19. Whitney says

Is it just me or is the link for the stocking square not working for everyone. Each time I click on it it get a page that says it doesn’t exist.

20. Amy says

Do you have a recommended color to use since “little boy blue” was discontinued? I’m looking forward to working on this and stocking up :) Thanks!

21. Mona says

This is soooo cute. I look forward to giving this one a try. I’ve never done a pixel graph before. There seems to be a problem with the link to the Christmas stocking though. I keep getting an error message.

Thanks for sharing this. I really love your patterns!!

22. Darcy says

I have a question on the border. Did you use a certain number of stitches (sc) when you did the first round. Borders are always my weakness!

23. jo says

Love the blanket but i cant download the stocking square when i click on it ,it say web page no longer available , could you email me the graph please

24. name says

I looked @ all 38 of the comments – am not finding how/where you give the “Merry Christmas” info./instructions/graphs – is it posted somewhere?? I’m never on Facebook but if it’s there or elsewhere I can GO :) – thank you & also for not just this amazing free pattern but ALL that you so generously provide for us hookers to work up – xoxo

• name says

OOPSY! it’s on the NEXT pg. or whatever – when I went back to ‘home’ I saw it :)) didn’t know how to delete my comment but was able to answer my own question :)

• Nicky says

The link got truncated. Just change it to make sure the end says ‘crochet-christmas-stocking-pixel-square’

25. Barbara says

Hi: Lovely pattern, just finished 2 squares…
    Question I have is in joining the squares together, I want to make sure I understand correctly.

When you weave the yarn under the tops on the DC back and forth, do you flip it over and then repeat it again on the back of the same squares with their corresponding tops of the same DC. In other words, the squares are seemed together twice, first from the top and then again from the back?

Thank you again so much!!

26. Sue Palmer says

Thank you so much for the C2C patterns. I love all of them. I have had shingles for 6 months so it gives me something to do on the couch. Your finished blanket is stunning!!!

27. Lynn says

If anyone figures out the grand total of ounces per color needed for this project…please pass it on here. I have to mail order my yarn (super small town living has drawbacks) and am not sure how much of each color to order.

Thanks!!
    Lynn

28. Marta Ferreira says

I love this project.
    It’s really beautiful.
    I was wondering if there’s some other link for the christmas boot because the link on this page opens an error link and I would really like to start working on this.

Thanks

29. jan jarrell says

I would NEVER subscribe to anything you offer due to your annoying, intrusive spamming with info ads. Hounding people with that kind of spam is NO way to gain followers.

• Casey says

I don’t even know how that can be possible. I have zero ads from this page. Maybe it is YOUR computer, or lack of virus protection. You are very rude and your comment has nothing to do with the blog post.

30. Arlethia says

I’m finally on the last motif. Is there and way to get you to do a Star David motif. I thought it would be to auction these afghans at the holiday fund raiser. Pretty please . I love your work. Thank you.

31. kay nuckolls says

I just found this love it after my hands are healed from surgeries I plan no making this. you did beautiful work

32. liz says

I just finished my version! The pattern was so fun, and I enjoyed every part of it (except the sewing in of all the tails lol). Thank you so much for this pattern, I was shocked with how quickly it all worked up, and now I can say I finished my first blanket!

33. Sharon Grogan-Weaver says

I’m so excited to be making my first ever c2c block which later will turn out to be a blanket. Thanks for sharing your talents with us Hooker’s. I was trying to post my finished Block here so you can see it.

[url=http://www.eevance.com/tokei/chanel/index.html]スーパーコピーロレックス,品質保証も安心のロレックスコピー通販サイトHoshiwatch.CoM.ロレックススーパーコピー時計続々入荷中!!!当店は本物と区分けが付かないようなN品スーパーコピーロレックス腕時計等を扱っております.[/url]

[url=http://www.okakaku.com/brand-1-copy-1-cheap-0-max0-attr0.html]CHANEL(シャネル)とは何かというと、ココ・シャネルが始めたファッションブランド。元々は帽子の専門店 「シャネル・モード」の創設からスタートしました。どのバッグを買おうか悩むのは、日本女性にとって喜びのひとつ。どんな大きさのエルメスバッグ 偽物を洋服に合わせるかによって、人に与える格好のジャンルが大きく変わってきます。グッチ・シャネル・ヴィトンのファッションブランドを始め、一流バッグはやっぱり安く売っている店がありませんね。アウトレットの値段でなるべくGETしたいものです。ハイブランドを身に着けているとどうしてだか気持ちが落ち着くだけでなく、自分がちょっとしたセレブになれたような気分に。つまりは、内面から満たされているように感じると言われています。安価に入手できるだけでなく、国外の一流ブランドの商品には海外でしか手に入らない物などが数多く揃っているので、そうした珍しい商品も通信販売でダイレクトに注文できます。[/url]