I want to start by saying I am VERY excited to share this recipe with you! This was my third attempt at Crock Pot Macaroni and Cheese and I seriously nailed it with this one thanks to Paula Deen. My first attempt was probably about a year ago and I ended up with a curdled mess. I decided to give a it a second shot a couple weeks ago at a fans request. Two words: curdle city. Just see for yourself:
Again, it ended up dry and despite using evaporated milk, it STILL curdled!
I wanted something creamy. I wanted my noodles to stay separated. So after a bit more googling, I landed upon Paula Deen's Creamy Crock Pot Mac & Cheese. The reviews were good and I thought, ok I'll give it a go. Here is how it's done:
2 cups uncooked elbow macaroni
4 tablespoons butter
2 1/2 cups grated sharp cheddar cheese
1/2 cup sour cream
1 (10 3/4 ounce) can condensed cheddar cheese soup
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup whole milk
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
I'm glad I gave Crock Pot Mac & Cheese one last try...Third time's a charm!
- PLEASE NOTE: You will see on other sites that this recipe calls for 3 eggs. I highly recommend that you DO NOT ADD EGGS!
- Boil the macaroni in water for six minutes. Drain.
- In a medium saucepan, mix butter and cheese. Stir until the cheese melts.
- In slow cooker, combine cheese mixture, sour cream, soup, salt, milk, mustard and pepper. Add the drained macaroni and stir again.
- Cook on low for 2 1/2 hours, stirring occasionally. (I cooked mine for about 2 hours and stirred about 3x)
I can't rave enough about this recipe. Just look at how every noodle is swimming in a pool of ooey gooey cheesy goodness!