Plarn Tote Bag

Yesterday I show you how to make plastic yarn (plarn). Now I am showing you what I made with it: A tote bag! This recycled and reusable bag is perfect for grocery shopping, the beach, the farmers market, or just toting things around.

I only used two kinds of bags for this project because I wanted the colors to be consistent. I used about 50 Safeway bags (one bag = approx. one row) and about 4 Dollar tree bags.

The pattern is simple and consists of crocheting in rounds without joining your rows.

Crochet Plarn Tote Pattern:

Size K Crochet Hook
Plarn (about 54 bags worth)
1″ Buttons (4)

Bag Pattern:
With color #1,
Chain 41. SC in second chain from hook and continue the rest of the way down. Do not turn.
SC along the other side of the chain.
SC around 2 more times.
With color #2,
Working in back loops only, SC around.
Now working in both loops SC around. Continue until the bag is to the height you desire. I made 36 rows and then made a 37th row in color #1. Fasten off, weave in ends.

Handles:
Chain 50.
SC in second chain from hook and the rest of the way down. When you get to last chain, make 2 SC.
Working along the other side of chain, 2 SC in next, SC until the 2nd to last chain. Make 2 SC in stitches along the ends so it lays flat.
Continue to do this again for one more round.
Fasten off, weave in ends.

Connect the handles to the bag by sewing on buttons (with plarn)

*** You may make and sell products from my patterns but if you do I ask that you link back to my post. Please do not copy and post this pattern and claim it as your own. Please do not re-publish photo’s as your own.***

Comments

Amazing and waterproof! It's perfect for summer days at the beach, just wish I could figure out how to crochet. Thanks for sharing your talents!

Looks like you have been bitten by the plarn crafting bug too. I love your bag and the button is a wonderful touch as it really sets off the grey trim.

Looks totally professional, like you bought it in the store. Love this idea. What a great way to recycle. Thanks for sharing at Creative Thursday last week. I can't wait to see what you link up this week. Have a great day :)
    Michelle

Your pattern is great but unless I missed it in my reading how wide of strip are you cutting from your bags? Also did you use one or two strands of the bag when crocheting stitches. Thank you for your pattern Deb JC

i love making plastic-bag bags!! they are sturdy and i feel good for reusing+reducing!!! :) i am glad u make them too

This is a great looking bag… I've made a bunch of these, and if I may make a couple of suggestions to help your bag be stronger: Use a 2nd strand of yarn while crocheting, because with weight of groceries in the bag, the plastic will stretch but the yarn wont, so it makes your bag stronger and more durable… and 2nd suggestion, crochet your handles right into the bag, because plastic stretches, and those buttons don't look like they would hold a bag full of canned foods. Thanks for sharing your free pattern… Love seeing people using up plastic grocery bags!

7. Samantha says

Thanks for the pattern, Sarah! I have a lot of bags in different sizes and colours, cant wait to see what my plarn bag looks like :)