Crochet Owl Family Amigurumi Pattern

Owls seem to be popular these days and I’m not complaining! I love seeing cute little owls everywhere. I even decorated little brother’s room in an owl theme. So it was time to make some cute little crochet owls. These were actually made for Adrianne and her daughter Raya from Happy Hour Projects (Adrianne, Hope you guys like them!). Fortunately I wrote down the pattern as I went along so I could share it with all of you :o)

Daddy Owl Pattern:

Vanna’s Choice Yarn (Barely)
Loops and Threads Impeccibale Yarn (Aqua)
Black buttons (or safety eyes) for eyes

Hook Size: G (4.0)

Start with blue yarn

Magic ring, Chain 1, 6 SC in making ring, do not join
Work in rounds and use a stitch marker to keep track of your rounds
Round 2: 2 SC in each, around (12 SC)
Round 3: 2 SC, SC in next, around (18 SC)
Round 4: 2 SC, SC in next 2, around (24 SC)
Round 5: 2 SC, SC in next 3, around (30 SC)
Round 6: 2 SC, SC in next 4, around (36 SC)
Round 7-15: SC around (36 SC)
Change color to brown
Round 16: SC around (36 SC)
Round 17: SC decrease, SC in next 4, around
Round 18: Sc decrease, SC in next 3, around
Round 19: Sc decrease, SC in next 2, around, slip stitch to join

Stuff, sew top edges together

When you press the top edges together, it naturally creates a slight bend that forms the owl ears. Sew them together using a whipstitch. You can make two whipstitches in both ends to create more of an ear. See pictures:

Wings (make 2):
Work in rounds
Magic ring, chain 1
SC 6 in magic ring,
Round 2: 2 SC in each (12 SC)
Round 3: 2 SC, SC, around (18 SC)
Round 4-9: Sc around
Round 10: SC Decrease, SC, around

Don’t stuff, sew shut and sew onto sides of body where the two colors meet. I always like to try to cover up the area where I changed colors.

You will want to sew on the bottom part of the wing as well. I did this by weaving my yarn through the wing and out the bottom of the wing, then sew the bottom of the wing onto the body and weave in ends.

Eyes (Make 2):
Magic ring, chain 1
8 sc in ring ,pull tight, join, chain 1
Change color
Round 2: 2 SC in each, join, leave long tail.
Weave in all other ends, attach button in center. Sew onto body, centered on color change line.

Nose:
Chain 4,
Slip stitch in second chain from hook,
SC in next
HDC in next
Fasten off and sew on to body.

Mommy Owl Pattern:

Vanna’s Choice Yarn (Barley)
Vanna’s Choice Yarn (Light Pink)
Black buttons (or safety eyes) for eyes

Hook Size: F (3.75)

Start with pink yarn
Magic ring, Chain 1, 6 SC in making ring, do not join
Work in rounds and use a stitch marker to keep track of your rounds
Round 2: 2 SC in each, around (12 SC)
Round 3: 2 SC, SC in next, around (18 SC)
Round 4: 2 SC, SC in next 2, around (24 SC)
Round 5: 2 SC, SC in next 3, around (30 SC)
Round 6: 2 SC, SC in next 4, around (36 SC)
Round 7-12: SC around (36 SC)
Change color to brown
Round 13: SC around (36 SC)
Round 14: SC decrease, SC in next 4, around
Round 15: Sc decrease, SC in next 3, around
Round 16: Sc decrease, SC in next 2, around, slip stitch to join
Stuff, sew top edges together. Follow instructions above for sewing ears.

Wings (make 2):
Work in rounds
Magic ring, chain 1
SC 6 in magic ring,
Round 2: 2 SC in each (12 SC)
Round 3: 2 SC, SC, around (18 SC)
Round 4-7: Sc around
Round 8: SC Decrease, SC, around

Sew shut and follow instructions above for sewing wings on.

Eyes (Make 2):
Magic ring, chain 1
8 sc in ring ,pull tight, join, chain 1
Change color
Round 2: 2 SC in each, join, leave long tail.

Nose:
Chain 4,
Slip stitch in second chain from hook,
SC in next
HDC in next
Fasten off and sew on to body.

This little one would also make a nice keychain!

Baby Owl Pattern:

Vanna’s Choice Yarn (Barley)
Vanna’s Choice Yarn (Red Heart Super Save Orange)
Black buttons (or safety eyes) for eyes

Hook Size: F (3.75)

Start with orange yarn
Magic ring, Chain 1, 6 SC in making ring, do not join
Work in rounds and use a stitch marker to keep track of your rounds
Round 2: 2 SC in each, around (12 SC)
Round 3: 2 SC, SC in next, around (18 SC)
Round 4: 2 SC, SC in next 2, around (24 SC)
Change color to brownRound 5-8: SC around (24 SC)
Change color to brown
Round 9: SC decrease, SC in next 2, around
Round 10: SC decrease, SC in next, slip stitch to join
Stuff, sew top edges together. Follow instructions above for sewing ears.

Wings (Make 2):
Magic ring, SC 4 in magic ring,
Round 2: 2 SC in each around, (8 SC)
Round 3: 2 SC, SC in next,  (12 SC)
Round 4-6: SC around (12 SC)
Round 7: SC Decrease, around
Sew shut and follow directions above for sewing on wings.

Eyes (Make 2):
Magic ring, chain 1, 6 SC in magic ring, join, chain 1
Change color
2 SC in each around (12sc), join, leave long tail

Nose:
Chain 3,
Slip stitch in second chain from hook,
SC in next
Fasten off and sew on to body.

Update 9/14/12: I made another set of these and found that it is easier to sew on the eyes and nose before stuffing it. Also, I recommend using safety eyes instead of buttons. They look better and are easier to attach (and safer too!).

*** You may make and sell products from my patterns but if you do I ask that you link back to my post. Please do not copy and post this pattern and claim it as your own. Please do not re-publish photo’s as your own.***

Want more free patterns? Keep in touch on my Repeat Crafter Me Facebook Page for new pattern sneak peaks and when they will be available on my blog!

Comments

These are wonderful! I have been wanting to make a mobile for my baby's room (he'll be here in late July) and these are just what I was looking for! Thank you so much for posting your patterns! :)

I never dropped by for the pattern post, since my idea of crocheting is pretty much, um, tying a knot – I was only adoring these little guys on Facebook. 😉 So I was so surprised to see these when I picked up the mail today! THANK YOU, these are so adorable I can hardly stand it!! They are a perfect size for little hands and they aren't likely to break anything when thrown – my daughter is going to LOVE them (and I love the hat, it's just hard to get as excited when it's pushing 100 degrees outside right now, LOL).

You are the BEST, Sarah!!!

Oh this is one of the cutest things I have ever seen. Do you mind if link this to my online journal at Gablimusing.blogspot.com?
    Thanks
    Gabli

I am so in love with this. I'm going to whip this up and include it in a care package for a soldier who was just wounded in Afghanistan! I'm part of his mother's knitting group. So I think it will be warmly received. I think I'll include a card that says, "Whoo loves you?!" or something like that.

Came to you via Tangled Happy and can I just say I think I love you! These owls are the cutest thing I have ever seen :) I'm off to make a whole parliament of them for my kids, thank you for the pattern xx

Omg these are just so adorable. I've made a mummy owl and have just started a baby owl. My first ever amigurumi!

These are awesome i wanted to share ur link was thinking fb but when i hit create a link it made me open a blog so i thought why not it'll be fun to share free pattern links with friends so feel free to link thanks : )

8. Crystal Anne says

Thank you so much for the pattern! My 7 yr old niece decided she wants an owl room, and these are perfect! I'm going to adapt the pattern to make an even larger one…I'll let you know how it goes.

These are so adorable! I would love to make one, but I can't follow crochet instructions very well. Would you happen to have a video or a step by step photo set of how to make these?

Hi Sarah,

My name is Chris but I wasn't sure if I could post any other way but anonymously…I absolutely love your site. Thank you so much for sharing with us. Can you tell me where to get safety eyes? They don't have any locally and I am needing some at a good price.

Have a great day

thank you for the pattern I want to make one for my niece – who just loves owls! for her birthday x

Lesley England

12. Stephanie says

I love this pattern! I will make three for my friend's baby shower! Could you tell us where to get the safety eyes?

Did I read the note at the bottom of this pattern correctly? Once I use your little owl family pattern, you are requesting NO PHOTOS of my little owl family be posted online anywhere? I usually post my finished projects on FB and/or my page on http://www.ravelry,com with a link to where I got the pattern. I have no problem whatsoever honoring your request not to post … I just want to be absolutely sure of what your policy is on the subject. : )
    Now, with all that seriousness out of the way 😉 … I absolutely think this little owl family is ADORABLE!!! I cannot wait to work up a family of my own to disperse among my grandkids. Again, THANK YOU SO MUCH for sharing your patterns with the rest of us crafters!
    (You can follow me at http://www.grammasmemories.blogspot.com)

I am currently making these adorable owls as party favors for my daughter's 1st birthday! What did you stuff them with? All of her friends are ranging from a year old up to 6yrs. I thought about beans, but thought it to be a possible Choking Hazard!! Thanks so much for sharing your patterns!

I'm a little confused about the wings. Sorry, I'm a newbie. Do you join the magic circle and then continue on?

16. Jennifer says

This is soo cute! I'm going to make one of these and turn it into a security like blanket Am excited to see how it turns out now! Thanks for all your amazing Patterns!

17. sarah says

I love the pattern. I made them for my four month old baby. I have put a small container with some beans inside and hung them over his seat so they rattle when he hits them. He absolutely loves it. I think it is the big eyes that make them so interesting for babies. A big thank you from sarah ( and baby boy louis).

I love the pattern! I have completed five owls of a family of six and had a question about the baby owl. The pattern says to change colors twice… Which row am I supposed to change colors on?

What a great pattern! I made the baby owl with in keychainformat, as a delivery guy for some (birthday)money. My niece is gonna love it!
    Thanks for sharing :)
    Anja

I've already made a dad owl and mom owl…and I thought the baby owl would be no problem…..but Its really confusing because rounds 1 to 4 are no problem. But then it says change to brown sc around 5-8…then change to brown again for 9 and 10. There's only 4 rounds of the color for the body? it wouldn't look like the pictures which from what I saw looks like there's more rounds for the bottom half..and the top half….I'm really confused D: :(

Hi, I run an etsy store and I was wondering if I could sell one, but not include it in my main merchandise or anything (as in not sell a bunch and make it seem like I made the pattern). :) I would include a link to your pattern and anything else (like a promotion). If you aren't okay with it, that's fine! I understand.

Could anyone give me the rough size estimate on the owls? I just love them and want to know what size I should make for my 2 yr old cousin

hi !
    i know this pattern been here for a long time, but i just found it.
    If somebody can translate it to me in french it could be nice.
    i have some difficulties, after round 16 when we begin to decrease. I am not sure what to do, with how much stiches am i suppose to end with ?
    do i begin with a decrease ? or with a SC ? explainit to me please !!!
    Round 17: SC decrease, SC in next 4, around