Gingerbread Man Crochet Hat Pattern

Run, run as fast as you can; You can’t catch me, I’m the Gingerbread Man (and Woman)! Make a whole family of gingerbread men with this easy crochet pattern! Just in time for the holiday season and like my other patterns this one is FREE as well!

– Vanna’s Choice yarn in brown, red and white
– Size I (5.5mm) Crochet Hook
– 2 black buttons
– Tapestry needle

Abreviations:
Magic Ring: You can find a tutorial for the magic ring HERE
Ch = Chain
SC = Single Crochet
HDC = Half Double Crochet

Gauge: 2″ across = 7 stitches, 2″ height = 5.5 rows

Before starting, please follow these directions:

Start your rounds in the same stitch as your chain.
Join your rounds to the first HDC, NOT the chain.
Your last stitch should be in the stitch before your chain.

Here is part 1 of the video tutorial. It shows how to crochet rounds 1-5 of the 0-3mo size hat. I am still an amateur videographer but hopefully this will help answer any questions or confusion that you may have. Be sure to check out part 2 of the video tutorial (posted below) which shows how to stitch on the embellishments.

Gingerbread Man Crochet Hat Pattern:

Size: 0-3 months
Magic Ring, chain 1, 9 HDC in ring, join, chain 1
Round 2: Work 2 HDC into each st around, join, chain 1 (18 HDC)
Round 3: 2 HDC in first stitch, HDC in next, Repeat around, join, chain 1 (27 HDC)
Round 4: 2 HDC in first stitch, HDC in next 2, Repeat around, join, chain 1 (36 HDC)
Round 5: 2 HDC in first stitch, HDC in next 3, Repeat around, join, chain 1 (45 HDC)
Round 6 -13: HDC in each stitch around, join, chain 1 (45 HDC)
Round 14: SC in each stitch around, join, fasten off and weave in ends.

Size: 3-6 months
Magic Ring, chain 1, 9 HDC in ring, join, chain 1
Round 2: Work 2 HDC into each st around, join, chain 1 (18 HDC)
Round 6: 2 HDC in first stitch, HDC in next 8, Repeat around, join, chain 1 (50 HDC)
Round 7 -14: HDC in each stitch around, join, chain 1 (50 HDC)
Round 15: SC in each stitch around, join, fasten off and weave in ends.
Size: 6-12 months
Magic Ring, chain 1, 9 HDC in ring, join, chain 1
Round 2: Work 2 HDC into each st around, join, chain 1 (18 HDC)
Round 6: 2 HDC in first stitch, HDC in next 4, Repeat around, join, chain 1 (54 HDC)
Round 7 -15: HDC in each stitch around, join, chain 1 (54 HDC)
Round 16: SC in each stitch around, join, fasten off and weave in ends.
Size: Toddler/Preschooler
Magic Ring, chain 1, 9 HDC in ring, join, chain 1
Round 2: Work 2 HDC into each st around, join, chain 1 (18 HDC)
Round 7: HDC around, join, chain 1 (54 HDC
Round 8: 2 HDC in first stitch, HDC in next 8, Repeat around (60 HDC)
Round 9 -16: HDC in each stitch around, join, chain 1 (60 HDC)
Round 17: SC in each stitch around, join, fasten off and weave in ends.
Size: Child
Magic Ring, chain 1, 9 HDC in ring, join, chain 1
Round 2: Work 2 HDC into each st around, join, chain 1 (18 HDC)
Round 7: HDC around, join, chain 1 (54 HDC
Round 8: 2 HDC in first stitch, HDC in next 8, Repeat around (60 HDC)
Round 9: 2 HDC in first stitch, HDC in next 29, Repeat around, join, chain 1 (62 HDC)
Round 10 -18: HDC in each stitch around, join, chain 1 (62 HDC)
Round 19: SC in each stitch around, join, fasten off and weave in ends.
Size: Adult
Magic Ring, chain 1, 9 HDC in ring, join, chain 1
Round 2: Work 2 HDC into each st around, join, chain 1 (18 HDC)
Round 7: HDC around, join, chain 1 (54 HDC
Round 8: 2 HDC in first stitch, HDC in next 8, Repeat around (60 HDC)
Round 9: 2 HDC in first stitch, HDC in next 9, Repeat around, join, chain 1 (66 HDC)
Round 10 -19: HDC in each stitch around, join, chain 1 (66 HDC)
Round 20: SC in each stitch around, join, fasten off and weave in ends.

Here is part 2 of the video tutorial that explains how to make the “icing,” cheeks, and mouth embellishments on the hat.

Gingerbread Cheeks:
With red yarn…
Magic Ring, chain 1, make 10 HDC inside of ring, join to first HDC, fasten off leaving tail to sew onto hat.
Gingerbread Icing:
You will want make a long series of chain and stitch them on in a wave around the hat.
For the 0-3 month size hat I chained 70 and stitched the chain on between rounds 4 and 5. You will want to make longer chains for the larger hats.
Gingerbread Leggings:
I haven’t figured out a good way to calculate size for these. You will want to measure the child’s leg before beginning so you know how many chains to make.
The ones pictured are too small for my 19 month old. I think they would fit a 6-12 month old. You can increase/decrease the beginning chain to make larger/smaller leggings.
Here is the pattern I used:
Chain 20, join to beginning of chain with a slip stitch, chain 1
Round 1-11: HDC in each stitch around, join, chain 1
Round 12: SC in each stitch around, join, fasten off and weave in ends.
With white yarn, chain 14 and stitch on to create “icing.”
Gingerbread Woman Bow:
Chain 10, SC in second chain from hook and the rest of the way down chain, chain 1, turn
Row 2-4, SC across, chain 1, turn
at the end of row 4, continue to SC around the edges, join to first SC, fasten off and weave in ends.
Wrap yarn around the middle of the bow, tie off tightly and attach to hat.

You can download a PDF of this pattern HERE

Disclaimer: I have not had anyone but myself test these patterns. Nor have I had the opportunity to have children and adults with different head sizes try on these hats. Please be my testers! And please refrain from negative comments. If you don’t like how I’ve written the pattern, don’t use it. I am sharing it with you for free and hope to inspire you with new ideas and patterns.

*** You may make and sell products from my patterns but if you do I ask that you link back to my post. Please do not copy and post this pattern and claim it as your own. Please do not re-publish photos as your own.***

Want more free patterns? Keep in touch on my Repeat Crafter Me Facebook Page for new pattern sneak peeks and when they will be available on my blog!

Comments

Yes! Those are the correct colors :) Although I was thinking it might look nice in a slightly lighter brown as well…more of a golden brown. I will have to look for something like that the next time I am buying yarn.

Grrrrr, yes you are correct! I have it written down as 36 on paper and also correct in the video. Just typed it out wrong in the blog post. Thanks for catching it! Let me know if you see anything else that seem off ๐Ÿ˜

Glad someone else posted the stitch count :) I kept re-counting, then decided it wasn't too big of a deal, lol :) You have the cutest patterns, and are so talented! :) Thanks!

Thanks for sharing!! I have discovered your wonderful patterns for baby hats and have become obsessed with crocheting as many as I can. We have a charity contest for our county fair and this year it's baby hats with a prize for the most made! I usually just sew the charity items, but I've been having so much fun making your hats that I may end up crocheting more than I sew! Thanks again for sharing!!!

Oh my!! I am beyond excited! I seriously squealed! I'm obsessed with anything gingerbread related!! I can't wait to make my girls one! I see awesome Christmas pictures for The Smith Family this year! woot woot! Thank you so much! I could hug you!! ๐Ÿ˜€

OMG,,,these are too adorable…and I have 2 skeins of 2 differen shades of brown just SCREAMING to be used for this!!! Going to start one today :)

This is such a cute pattern! I just love it! Imade your owl hat for part of a baby shower and it was a huge hit! A big thank you for sharing all your patterns! Also appreciate the videos on adding embellishments. I love it when I learn something new! Thank you…thank you!

For anyone who might be having trouble forming the mouth like I did, I found it easier to crochet a chain as long as you need and sew it on like you did with the icing, except forming a smile (or you could do a wave, too. It might be cute.) It turned out so adorable!! I loved making this!

When I saw the leggings I thought they were handwarmers, so for adults I think this is actually a great idea – to make hand / wrist warmers to match your hat!

You are featured this week on Busy Monday at A Pinch of Joy! I hope you will stop by and grab a Featured Button from the Button Box on the sidebar this afternoon. Pinned. Canโ€™t wait to see what else youโ€™ve been working on!

I made this hat for my son and it turned out super cute. He's six and I found the pattern for 'children' seemed to be too small. I followed it to where you do every 8 stitches. This would have not fit him and he doesn't have a large head. I did the inc every 9 and it was perfect size.

I don't think the every 9 inc would be remotely large enough for an adult. My daughter wants one as well. She's ten. I will do an increase every 10 stitches and that should fit her.

I also did a chain of 80 for the top icing, but it was loose. I prob should have made it a bit tighter. I did not have black buttons so I made 2 sc black eyes… 8 sc in the middle and joined then stitches a white x across them. Looks cute.

I so love this! I am making one for my daughter, one for my son, and one for their close friend. I added a little ruffle around the bottom of the leggings,if anyone is interested it is row 12 *sc, 2tc in next st, repeat

arrrgggg! i did the one that is supposed to fit a toddler/preschooler and it fit my 10yr old and it wasn't tight! and my gauge is spot on! i will have to try the smaller version to see if it fits a toddler! i can't seem to get that size down!!! maybe i'll try using a smaller hook. i used the same hook and yarn so it should have worked. i will not give up, but any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! thanks for the cute patterns!

Thank you so much! I made my daughter the toddler size, using "I love this yarn" and the size I hook, and the hat came out a little large, but overall fit…just a little loose. I am making an accompanying tutu in brown, red and white! I will post pics on your FB page soon. Such a cute pattern. Thanks for sharing :-)

Your site is great! I just came across it this morning! I am so excited to explore and check out your beautiful, and creative ideas! <3
    -KristenInGermany

I love your blog!!! I wish I had the time and guts to make all this! I have done few baby sets for my neices and nephews and they turned out to be great. Now they are all more than 1 year old so Im gona try these hat patterns soon! Plus I live in a warm country, so our winters are limited ๐Ÿ˜€

I am making an afghan (Herrschner's Holiday Afghans – 2011 national contest winners) and sleeping buddy with gingerbread men and the yarn I am using is Red Heart Super Saver – color – Warm Brown. Pretty good color for a gingerbread man. Can't wait to make the hats and leggings.

Hi sarah
    Thank you so much for sharing your patterns.Other than one other crocheter, your patterns are by far the easiest to follow and the fastest to work up. I can't wait until you post more.

omg it came out so cute i used the dark brown and call it brunt gingerbread man lol. this one is for my baby niece the other patterns are for my big 15yr old baby lol. thanks for your free pattern that is very sweet of you to share your knowledge with others

I tested out the child size…perfect! I made the girl version for my friend's 8 year old daughter. The only thing I did different was enlarge the cheeks and eye buttons a little bit…but obviously that was just a matter of personal taste. Thank you so much for sharing all of these. They are very lovely!

Sarah, I just wanted to say thank you for sharing your patterns. You seem to be much more sane than I was with my 3 girls were little. I usually describe that time as pure pandemonium and literally gave up every kind of crafting. I began to realize that it left me feeling empty and now that my girls are all grown up, and although I have fibromyalgia and not a lot of energy, I find that crocheting is the main thing that gives me joy and peace. Bless you for your creativity, energy and generosity.
    Barbara, Cornelius, NC

This is just gorgeous. Can't wait to make them for my great niece for winter next year but I'm thinking I might try a little skirt and sweater or dress to go with it.
    Your patterns rock!
    Happy Crafting

I think I'm just having issues, but I cannot seem to get round 7 right for toddler/preschool size. Round 6 counts 54 stitches, and round 7 calls for 54 as well, but I'm only counting 53! I am HDC crocheting in each stitch around. Help! :(