Crochet Sock Monkey Hat Pattern

You guys requested it and I am delivering! I’ve had a lot of e-mails asking for a sock monkey hat pattern and at first I hesitated because I always felt they were a little creepy looking, but I found a way to make my monkeys friendlier; with a cute little smile! :) I hope you enjoy the pattern!

– Yarn:

White: Loops & Threads™ Impeccable™
Red: Vanna’s Choice – Cranberry
Grey: Vanna’s Choice – Grey Marble
– Size H (5.0mm) hook
– Tapestry Needle
– Two medium size buttons for eyes

This picture doesn’t do the colors justice, but I found that Vanna’s Choice “Barley”, and

Loops & Threads™ Impeccable™ Yarn in “Aran” (cream color) is a better match to an actually sock monkey. I am sending this set to a professional photographer and will update this photo to show the better color match after the photoshoot.

Abbreviations:
st = stitch
ch = chain
sl st = slip stitch
SC = Single Crochet
DC = Double Crochet

Be sure to follow these directions when crocheting your hat:

Always start your rounds in the same stitch as your chain.
Always join your rounds to the first DC, NOT the chain.
Your last stitch should be in the stitch before your chain.

Crochet Sock Monkey Hat Pattern

Size: 0-3 Monthsstarting with white yarn
Magic Ring chain 2, 9 DC in magic ring, join to first DC, ch 2
Round 2: 2 DC in each around, join, ch 2 (18 DC)
Round 3: 2 DC in first stitch, DC in next, Repeat around, join, ch 2 (27 DC)
Round 4: 2 DC in first stitch, DC in next 2, Repeat around, join, ch 2 (36 DC)
Change color to red
Round 5: 2 DC in first stitch, DC in next 3, Repeat around, join, ch 2 (45 DC)
Change color to grey marble
Row 6-10: DC around, join, ch 2 (45 DC)
Note: If this is for a newborn leave pattern as is, if it is for a 2-3 month old you might want to add an additional round.
do not fasten off, begin on first earflap as written below for this size

Size: 3-6 Months
starting with white yarnMagic Ring, Chain 2, 9 DC in magic ring, join to first DC, ch 2
Round 2: 2 DC in each around, join to first DC, ch 2 (18 DC)
Round 3: 2 DC, DC in next, repeat around, join, ch 2 (27 DC)
Round 4: 2 DC, DC in next 2, repeat around, join, ch 2 (36 DC)
Change color to red
Round 5: 2 DC, DC in next 3, repeat around, join, ch 2 (45 DC)
Change color to grey marble
Round 6: 2 DC, DC in next 8, repeat around, join, ch 2 (50 DC)
Round 7: DC around (50 DC)
Change Color, join and ch 2
Round 8-12: DC around, join, ch 2 (50 DC)
do not fasten off, begin on first earflap as written below for this size

Size: 6-12 months

Round 2: 2 DC in each around, join to first DC, ch 2 (18 DC)
Round 3: 2 DC, DC in next, repeat around, join, ch 2 (27 DC)
Round 4: 2 DC, DC in next 2, repeat around, join, ch 2 (36 DC)
change color to red
Round 5: 2 DC, DC in next 3, repeat around, join, ch 2 (45 DC)
change color to grey marble
Round 6: 2 DC, DC in next 4, repeat around, join, ch 2 (54 DC)
Round 7-13: DC around, join, ch 2 (54 DC)
do not fasten off, begin on first earflap as written below for this size

Size: Toddler/Preschooler

starting with white yarn
Magic Ring, Chain 2, 9 DC in magic ring, join to first DC, ch 2
Round 2: 2 DC in each around, join to first DC, ch 2 (18 DC)
Round 3: 2 DC in first stitch, DC in next, repeat around, join, ch 2 (27 DC)
Round 4: 2 DC in first stitch, DC in next 2, repeat around, join, ch 2 (36 DC)
Round 5: 2 DC in first stitch, DC in next 3, repeat around, join, ch 2 (45 DC)
Round 6: 2 DC in first stitch, DC in next 4, repeat around, join, ch 2 (54 DC)
change color to red
Round 7: DC around (54 DC)
change color to grey marble
Round 8: 2 DC in first stitch, DC in next 8, repeat around (60 DC)
9-15: DC around, join, ch 2 (60 DC)
do not fasten off, begin on first earflap as written below for this size
Note: If this is for a toddler, stop at 14 rounds, if it is for a Preschooler make 15 rounds.

Size: Child
Round 2: 2 DC in each around, join to first DC, ch 2 (18 DC)
Round 3: 2 DC in first stitch, DC in next, repeat around, join, ch 2 (27 DC)
Round 4: 2 DC in first stitch, DC in next 2, repeat around, join, ch 2 (36 DC)
Round 5: 2 DC in first stitch, DC in next 3, repeat around, join, ch 2 (45 DC)
Round 6: 2 DC in first stitch, DC in next 4, repeat around, join, ch 2 (54 DC)
change color to red
Round 7: DC around (54 DC)
change color to grey marble
Round 8: 2 Dc in first stitch, DC in next 8, repeat around, join, ch 2 (60 DC)
Round 9: 2 DC, DC in next 29, repeat around (62 DC)
Round 10-15: DC around, join, ch 2 (62 DC)
do not fasten off, begin on first earflap

Size: Teen/Adult

Round 2: 2 DC in each around, join to first DC, ch 2 (18 DC)
Round 3: 2 DC in first stitch, DC in next, repeat around, join, ch 2 (27 DC)
Round 4: 2 DC in first stitch, DC in next 2, repeat around, join, ch 2 (36 DC)
Round 5: 2 DC in first stitch, DC in next 3, repeat around, join, ch 2 (45 DC)
Round 6: 2 DC in first stitch, DC in next 4, repeat around, join, ch 2 (54 DC)
change color to red
Round 7: DC around (54 DC)
change color to grey marble
Round 8: 2 Dc in first stitch, DC in next 8, repeat around, join, ch 2 (60 DC)
Round 9: 2 DC, DC in next 9, repeat around (66 DC)
Round 10-16: DC around, join, ch 2 (66 DC)
do not fasten off, begin on first earflap

_______________________________________

Earflaps for 0-3 months – Preschooler
Earflap 1:
Chain 1, SC in next 10, chain 1, turn
Row 2: SC decrease, SC in next 6, SC decrease, chain 1, turn
Row 3: SC across (8 SC)
Row 4: SC decrease, SC in next 4, SC decrease, chain 1, turn
Row 5: SC across (6 SC)
Row 6: SC decrease, SC in next 2, SC decrease, chain 1, turn
Row 7: SC across (4 SC)
Row 8: Make 2 SC decreases, chain 1, turn
Row 9: SC decrease, fasten off, weave in ends

Earflap 2:
Leave 9 stitches in front for newborn, 12 stitches for 0-3 months, 15 for 3-6 months, 19 for Preschooler,
Chain 1, SC in next 10, chain 1, turn
Row 2: SC decrease, SC in next 6, SC decrease, chain 1, turn
Row 3: SC across (8 SC)
Row 4: SC decrease, SC in next 4, SC decrease, chain 1, turn
Row 5: SC across (6 SC)
Row 6: SC decrease, SC in next 2, SC decrease, chain 1, turn
Row 7: SC across (4 SC)
Row 8: Make 2 SC decreases, chain 1, turn
Row 9: SC decrease, fasten off, weave in ends

With red yarn, SC around hat and earflaps, fasten off and weave in ends.

Earflaps for Child – Adult

Row 6: SC decrease, SC in next 4, SC decrease, chain 1, turn
Row 7: SC across (6 SC)
Row 8: SC decrease, SC in next 2, SC decrease, chain 1, turn
Row 9: SC across (4 SC)
Row 10: Make 2 SC decreases, chain 1, turn
Row 11: SC decrease, fasten off, weave in ends

With red yarn, SC around hat and earflaps, fasten off and weave in ends.
_______________________________________

Braided Tails:

Cut seven 1 yard strands of red yarn.
Pass through last space in earflap. You should now have 14 strands to braid with.
Make knot and braid to desired length, knot, trim ends.

Note: I have noticed that thick and long braided tails don’t look as nice when worn and are too bulky in photos. Don’t be afraid to make a tight braid and keep them short.
_______________________________________

Ears: (make 2)

Magic ring, chain 2, 8 dc in ring, pull tight but do not join (It should look like a half circle), chain 2, turn
Row 2: 2 DC in each stitch, chain 1, turn (16 DC)
Row 3: SC in each stitch across (16 SC)
Fasten off leaving long tail and sew onto hat in the middle of the “body color” and centered over the earflaps.
For more authentic sock monkey ears (half circle) follow this pattern:
Magic ring, chain 2, 6 dc in ring, pull tight but do not join (It should look like a half circle), chain 2, turn
Row 2: 2 DC in each stitch, chain 1, turn (12 DC)
Row 3: SC in each stitch across (12 SC)
_______________________________________

Mouth:
Smaller hats (0-6 months)
Chain 9, SC in second chain from hook and in next 5, 2 SC in last chain. Continuing on other side of chain, SC 7, SC in last 2, join to first SC, chain 1.
Round 2: SC 7, 2 SC in next 2, SC 7, 2 SC in last 2, join to first SC, ch 1.
Round 3: SC 8, 3 SC in next 3, SC 8, 3 SC in last 3, join to first SC, ch 1.

Fasten off leaving long tail to sew onto hat.

Larger hats
Chain 13, SC in second chain from hook and in next 10, 2 SC in last chain. Continuing on other side of chain, SC 10, SC in last 2, join to first SC, chain 1.
Round 2: SC 11, 2 SC in next 2, SC 11, 2 SC in last 2, join to first SC, ch 1.
Round 3: SC 12, 2 SC in next 3, SC 12, 2 SC in last 3, join to first SC, ch 1.
Round 4: SC 13, 2 SC in next 4, SC 14, SC in last 4, join to first SC, ch 1.
Fasten off leaving long tail to sew onto hat.

Mouth smile:

Smaller hats (0-6 months)
Chain 15, Slip stitch in second chain from hook and the rest of the way down chain. Fasten off leaving tail to sew onto hat.

Larger hats
Chain 21, Slip stitch in 2nd chain from hook and in next 4, Sc in next 10, slip stitch in next 5, fasten off leaving long tail.

_______________________________________

Don’t forget to add a red pom pom on top! HERE is an easy tutorial on how to make a yarn pom pom.

Download and print a PDF of this pattern HERE.

*** You may make and sell products from my patterns but if you do I ask that you link back to my post. Please do not copy and post this pattern and claim it as your own. Please do not re-publish photo’s as your own.***

Want more free patterns? Keep in touch on my Repeat Crafter Me Facebook Page for new pattern sneak peeks and when they will be available on my blog!

Comments

1. Andriana says

I love, love, LOVE, your blog!!! It is so wonderful to find helpful tips and free patterns! Thanks for all the work you put into this and there are so many patterns I cannot wait to try! God Bless!

Thank you so much for sharing your wonderful patterns. I can hardly wait to make some of these sock monkey hats. Your owl hat pattern made me very popular around my house too. You are a genius!

For the hat part, after you do "Round 7: DC around (54 DC)change color to grey marble" can you join and ch 2 and then 1 DC in the same stitch? I'm confused.

For the toddler hat, I think you need a correction. You have:

Round 8-15: 2 DC in first stitch, DC in next 8, repeat around (60 DC)

Shouldn't that be Round 8 and then the following rounds (9-15) are DCs?

I am using Red Heart Super Saver on this, do you think the childs size will work? I am just using the base and adding my own things. I'm having one tough time finding a base patter that will work! I need the base for an 8 year old boy and 6 year old girl! Thanks so much!

Is the mouth for your larger hat right? The math isn't working out right for me and it's a bit askew. It may be me as I'm not good at making ovals for some reason. Always attach to first sc right?

I think I figured it out after coming back to it with a clear head (and a full night'ssleep). Round 4 math still seems off, but I made it work by not attaching to first sc. Whatever way, it looks good! Thanks for the awesome patterns you make! I love them all!

Hi Britni, Glad you figured it out! But yes you are correct that the count is a little off…well not so much off, but you may need to fudge a round or two to make sure you are getting the same stitch count I wrote out. I debated on whether to post this or not, but try not to think too much about the mouth rounds. Just make sure you are increasing at each end of the chain as you SC around. So for the first round make 2 SC in two stitches on each end, next round make 2 SC in 3 stitches on each end, next round make 2 SC in 4 stitches on each and so on! I hope this helps others who may run into trouble. Thanks for asking the question!

I noticed this also, I'm wondering if it is because on the pattern it is saying SC in the last 2 instead of 2 SC in the last 2 also on row 4 it says SC in last 4 and I think it should say "2 SC in last 4 ??? I smudged it around till it worked. SUPER CUTE THANKS FOR ALL YOUR HARD WORK AND PATTERNS.

Hi Sara!
    Thank you for the sock monkey pattern I can't wait to make one. I have made three owl hats for my grandkids and friend's kids; and everyone loves the hats. You have great instructions, tips, and clear photos. Congratulations on being in Women's Day,I am going to buy a copy ASAP!
    Happy Holidays!
    Wanda

cute pattern i have crochet a few hats but not one like this im so excited to get started for my grandkids an kids got 1o grand kids an four girlsof my own

Hi Sarah

TFS your patterns, I have been looking for this for a while, but I do have a question, for the 3-6 month hat, right after round 7, you have "change color, join & ch 2".. What do I change to? I changed from red to gray on round 6, and it looks like the hat is gray from round 6-12..
    Just want to make sure I am not missing something, again tfs
    Bonnie C

These are the best sock monkey hats that I have found yet!! Ohmigosh! But I noticed that from your Owl hat pattern the sizes are different counts. Why is that? Like the teen/adult size matches the child size here. Other than that they are great! I've already made one for my LO and my nephew! Thanks so much!! You make the patterns easy to read!

Yes, you are correct. I changed the sizing slightly because I got an overwhelming amount of feedback that my owl hats were coming out too small. Sounds like you find a size that works for your family! Glad you are enjoying the pattern!

Thanks so much for the pattern..I have made5…my daughters and grandkids love them and I have made them mittens and purses to match

do you have a gauge swatch for this? You are asking for an H hook on a yarn that indicates a certain gauge with a different sized hook, however everyone crochets at a different tension…

Love your patterns. I just discovered them yesterday and have already made 3 owl hats and I'm now working on a sock monkey hat. I can't stop!!!
    Thanks so much for sharing.

14. Aubrie Williams says

Love this pattern! I've made several of these hats now for Christmas presents and other things. One thing I changed was just stitching on the red yarn smile instead of crocheting it and then stitching it on. Much faster and a thinner line too. My daughter loves her monkey hat. Thanks for the pattern.

Thank you for your patterns. I have used several but this is my first time using your hat patterns. I'm working on the earflaps now, 0-3 months, the pattern says leave stitches for the front. As I look at your pictures, it looks to me that the fronts have more stitches in between the flaps than the back of the hats. If I leave 9 stitches between the flaps on the front, that will not be the case. Am I misunderstanding something? Thanks so much for any help.
    Teresa

Your patterns are very well written and easy to follow. I have made several hats as gifts. I love the details of this sock monkey hat! Thanks for sharing.

I tried a newborn hat yesterday and my hat came out a bit wide and short. I checked some other stuff (just some scraps and a blanket and my gauge always comes out wide and short. How can I correct this before I try another hat. Love the owl and the monkey! by wide and short I mean I have fewer double crochets per 4in and more rows.

Hi this is my first attempt at reading a patteren, can you please tell me what it means yo sc decrease? I'm on the earflaps, I've finished row 16. Thank you bunches

I made this hat over the weekend for a friend of mine who is absolutely obsessed with Sock Monkeys, this pattern was so easy to read and was very quick to work up…(if I can go from start to finish in a day or less I consider it quick :) Thank you for sharing such a wonderful pattern, I'll use the hat base for other hats as the adult sizing fit my head PERFECT! Do you think a ring of DC in black would look alright instead of buttons for eyes? I have some scrap black yarn, but no buttons.

Hi, I am attempting to make the 0-3 month size and I'm having trouble with the mouth portion. If I crochet a chain of 9, sc in 2nd chain from hook and then in the next 5, I have 2 chains left over and the next step in the round says 2 sc in last st. Am I overlooking something, or doing something wrong? Thank you so much for sharing your patterns; they are super cute. The owl hats I have made for family & friends are a huge hit! Thank you!!

21. Karen Calloway says

Thank you so very much for sharing with us! Your patterns are so very easy to follow, I would have never dreamed that I could make this hat and you made it possible!! Thank you a million times and God Bless!!! I will be trying your other patterns as well!!

I am glad to see that I am not the only one addicted to your site and docketing. For a good ten years I just crocheted easy hdc scarves and afgans. I didn't know there were so many simple patterns to follow. I felt kinda overwhelmed with learning to read patterns until I found your site. Thank you. with the help of you and youtube I am addicted lol. I am however having problems with the owl hats turning out way too big. I am doing everything right I think. I will just have to practice more lol.

Just wanted to make a correction about ear flaps. You forgot to add "chain 1 and turn" after the rows with just the sc across. I made the pattern and followed what you wrote, and the ear flaps came out super funky. Lol but I re did them with the added step I mentioned, and now they look just like yours.

Thank you so much for working hard and creating this pattern for free. I have learned a great project from you!

– Kristen

I love your patterns!!!! I'm going to make this for my Niece and Nephew for Christmas!!! Your patterns are always just perfect for gifts for friends and family!!!! Thank you a thousand times over for sharing your patterns!!!

I m a beginner crocheter and started to look for easy to make character hats. Fell in love with the pattern.. I started making one for my 5 month old .. thanks a lot for this….

Omg! I have been making the.owl.hats for a while and they wrre small so i always went up a size, but now i found this…dont know y I didnt see.it before! But I.am.sooo glad I wasnt.the.only one that the hats were coming out small for! Thank YOU! So much for all of your patterns!

I have made hat 3 tonight, Made The Lamb, the Polar Bear and the Monkey in last 2 days. Starting on The Girl Penquin one now. Using Black Shimmer and White. Thank you so much for your designs and the instructions as I know they must take a lot of time to set up. Even my sons Impressed with the hats,

JUST COMPLETED THIS ONE. I will post it soon because the minute I put on the ears My 3 year old grandson Claimed it. Lol. Honest Your patterns so easy to follow. They are also so fast to crochet, so I do 3 at a time and then sew them. Finished Cupcake one as well.

Having a hard time with the newborn (0-3 month old) earflaps. Do you ch 1 after Row 3: SC across (8 SC) and Row 5: SC across (6 SC) and Row 7: SC across (4 SC) and Row 9: SC decrease?

I'm sorry but I don't find this easy to understand. Do you mean after ch 2 of each row you add another dc so you get 2 dc in each ch at the beg of each row? You need to explain in better detail for beginners. I'm not really a beginner but I'm sorry but your patterns aren't detailed enough for me to understand.

Thank you for sharing your patterns. I have made 2 of your Minnie Mouse hats so far & now need to make something for the little boys in my family. This one is really cute!!

Hello. I want to say thank you for these patterns. I do have a question though…for the child's size, Row 9…,is it Double crochet 9 tines then 2 DC (you have posted DC 29 the two DC in same stitch? I worked it up using 9 and iot came out right. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something!

Thank you so much for sharing this with us all. I have my very first great grand baby due in Oct. And I am so excited and her nursery theme is jungle animals. She has even bought some new born monkey themed clothes. Just a couple things mind ya. So I really want to crochet as many cute thing for the baby as possible. Thank you again for your generosity in sharing this adorable pattern…bye for now soon to be great grandma Jackie

Again thank you for your patterns. I made 4 hats last night whilst babysitting. 3 of the children I have never made something for before, (my grandkids cousins from other side family) and they loved them.Made the grandson one and put cars around it and he is just gone home now with it, Thrilled, Made a Hello Kitty one for granddaughter today, she was a bit put out I had made her none last night, lol. She also got great kick from it. Your hats fly up as they are simple but interesting to make. Thank You again.

First I have never crocheted but saw this pattern and whipped one up last night the 6-9 months , so cute I did a 0-3 months, I am not sure if it is a little big but as soon as I get my hands on the little ones it is intended for I can make some adjustments. My math was ever so slightly off but I had no trouble making it work as I went through the rows. I want to thank for for the pattern and the time you have spent on posting and answering ?. Now on to find infant slippers to go with these cute hats. Thank you very much!

Jane

Thank you for including an adult size!! I hate how so many hat patterns always come in child sizes only and I'm not accomplished enough in crochet to adjust the pattern myself.