Crochet Bunny Hat Pattern

Get ready for Easter with this cute bunny hat and matching diaper cover! Although this hat would be cute on all ages, anytime of the year. Feel free to use your own color combinations as well! I think grey/pink would be cute or how about a light brown/blue combo for a boy?! I can’t wait to see what you come up with. Be sure to post your finished hats on my Repeat Crafter Me Facebook wall!

Before we begin let me remind you of some basic directions you should follow while crocheting my hats:
– Always start your rounds in the same stitch as your chain.
– Always join your rounds to the first DC, NOT the chain.
– Your last stitch should be in the stitch before your chain.
– Do NOT count the chain 2 as a stitch.

(You can find pictures of how to start and join your rounds HERE)

– White worsted weight yarn (I used Vanna’s Choice Lion Brand)
– Pink worsted weight yarn (I used Vanna’s Choice Lion Brand in pink). Feel free to use your own accent color!
– Two small black buttons for eyes
– Crochet hook size H-8 (5.0 mm)
– Tapestry needle

Abbreviations:
ch – chain
sl st- slip stitch
SC – Single Crochet
SC Decrease – Single Crochet Decrease
DC – Double Crochet
HDC – Half Double Crochet
TC – Triple Crochet
Magic Ring – Find a great tutorial including video HERE

Crochet Bunny Hat Pattern:

Size: 0-3 Months
Magic ring, 11 DC in magic ring, join to first DC, chain 2
Round 2: 2 DC in each around, join, chain 2 (22 DC)
Round 3: 2 DC in first, DC in next, repeat around, join, chain 2 (33 DC)
Round 4: 2 DC in first, DC in next 2, repeat around, join, chain 2 (44 DC)
Round 5-10: DC in each around, join, chain 2 (44 DC)
Round 11: SC in each around, join, fasten off, weave in ends (44 SC)
Size: 3-6 Months
Magic ring, 11 DC in magic ring, join to first DC, chain 2
Round 2: 2 DC in each around, join, chain 2 (22 DC)
Round 3: 2 DC in first, DC in next, repeat around, join, chain 2 (33 DC)
Round 4: 2 DC in first, DC in next 2, repeat around, join, chain 2 (44 DC)

Round 5: 2 DC in first, DC in next 10, repeat around, join, chain 2 (48 DC)
Round 6-11: DC in each around, join, chain 2 (48 DC)
Round 12: SC in each around, join, fasten off, weave in ends (48 SC)

Size: 6-9 Months

Magic ring, 11 DC in magic ring, join to first DC, chain 2

Round 2: 2 DC in each around, join, chain 2 (22 DC)
Round 3: 2 DC in first, DC in next, repeat around, join, chain 2 (33 DC)
Round 4: 2 DC in first, DC in next 2, repeat around, join, chain 2 (44 DC)

Round 5: 2 DC in first, DC in next 10, repeat around, join, chain 2 (48 DC)

Round 6: 2 DC in first, DC in next 11, join, chain 2 (52 DC)
Round 7-12: DC in each around, join, chain 2 (52 DC)
Round 13: SC in each around, join, fasten off, weave in ends (52 SC)

Size: 9-12 Months (Should fit up to about 16 months)

Magic ring, 11 DC in magic ring, join to first DC, chain 2

Round 2: 2 DC in each around, join, chain 2 (22 DC)
Round 3: 2 DC in first, DC in next, repeat around, join, chain 2 (33 DC)
Round 4: 2 DC in first, DC in next 2, repeat around, join, chain 2 (44 DC)

Round 5: 2 DC in first, DC in next 10, repeat around, join, chain 2 (48 DC)

Round 6: 2 DC in first, DC in next 11, join, chain 2 (52 DC)

Round 7: 2 DC in first, DC in next 12, join, chain 2 (56 DC)
Round 8-13: DC in each around, join, chain 2 (56 DC)
Round 14: SC in each around, join, fasten off, weave in ends (56 SC)

Size: Toddler/Preschooler
Magic ring, 11 DC in magic ring, join to first DC, chain 2
Round 2: 2 DC in each around, join, chain 2 (22 DC)
Round 3: 2 DC in first, DC in next, repeat around, join, chain 2 (33 DC)
Round 4: 2 DC in first, DC in next 2, repeat around, join, chain 2 (44 DC)

Round 5: 2 DC in first, DC in next 10, repeat around, join, chain 2 (48 DC)
Round 6: 2 DC in first, DC in next 11, join, chain 2 (52 DC)
Round 7: 2 DC in first, DC in next 12, join, chain 2 (56 DC)
Round 8: 2 DC in first, DC in next 13, join, chain 2 (60 DC)
Round 9-14: DC in each around, join, chain 2 (60 DC)
Round 15: SC in each around, join, fasten off, weave in ends (60 SC)

Size: Child
Magic ring, 11 DC in magic ring, join to first DC, chain 2
Round 2: 2 DC in each around, join, chain 2 (22 DC)
Round 3: 2 DC in first, DC in next, repeat around, join, chain 2 (33 DC)
Round 4: 2 DC in first, DC in next 2, repeat around, join, chain 2 (44 DC)
Round 5: 2 DC in first, DC in next 10, repeat around, join, chain 2 (48 DC)
Round 6: 2 DC in first, DC in next 11, join, chain 2 (52 DC)
Round 7: 2 DC in first, DC in next 12, join, chain 2 (56 DC)
Round 8: 2 DC in first, DC in next 13, join, chain 2 (60 DC)
Round 9: 2 DC in first, DC in next 14, join, chain 2 (64 DC)
Round 10-15: DC in each around, join, chain 2 (64 DC)
Round 16: SC in each around, join, fasten off, weave in ends (64 SC)

Size: Teen/Adult
Magic ring, 11 DC in magic ring, join to first DC, chain 2
Round 2: 2 DC in each around, join, chain 2 (22 DC)
Round 3: 2 DC in first, DC in next, repeat around, join, chain 2 (33 DC)
Round 4: 2 DC in first, DC in next 2, repeat around, join, chain 2 (44 DC)

Round 5: 2 DC in first, DC in next 10, repeat around, join, chain 2 (48 DC)
Round 6: 2 DC in first, DC in next 11, join, chain 2 (52 DC)
Round 7: 2 DC in first, DC in next 12, join, chain 2 (56 DC)
Round 8: 2 DC in first, DC in next 13, join, chain 2 (60 DC)
Round 9: 2 DC in first, DC in next 14, join, chain 2 (64 DC)
Round 10: 2 DC in first, DC in next 15, join, chain 2 (68 DC)
Round 11-16: DC in each around, join, chain 2 (68 DC)
Round 17: SC in each around, join, fasten off, weave in ends (68 SC)

Bunny Ears (Outside Ear): Make two
Chain 5, SC in 2nd chain from hook and in each across, ch 1, turn (4 SC)
Row 2: 2 SC in first stitch, SC in next 2 stitches, 2 SC in last stitch, ch 1, turn (6 SC)
Row 3: SC in each stitch across, ch 1, turn (6 SC)
Row 4: 2 SC in first stitch, SC in next 4 stitches, 2 SC in last stitch, ch 1, turn (8 SC)
Row 5-10: SC in each stitch across, ch 1, turn (8 SC)
This is where you can keep making rows of SC to make the ears longer. Keep in mind, the longer the ear, the floppier it will become (which would be cute too!)
Row 11: SC decrease, SC in next 4 stitches, SC decrease in last stitch, ch 1, turn
Row 12: SC in each stitch across, ch 1, turn (6 SC)
Row 13: SC decrease, SC in next 2 stitches, SC decrease in last stitch, ch 1 turn
Row 14: SC in each stitch across, ch 1, turn (4 SC)
Row 15: Make 2 SC decreases, ch 1, turn
Row 16: SC decrease, ch 1, and continue to sc around the edge of the entire ear. Slip stitch to first SC to join. Leave long tail to sew ears together.

These ears are very versatile. I think they would make great cat ears or pig ears. I am sure you can come up with other uses for them as well!

Bunny Ears (Inside Ear): Make two
 Follow the pattern above but with your accent color (such as pink as pictured). When you get to row 16, make your SC decrease and then switch color to white and continue to SC around the entire ear.

Sew ears together by taking your tapestry needle and the long tail and weave needle in and out just under the single crocheted edges. Consider using a pipe cleaner inside the ears to help them stand up. Otherwise they may flop over (which would be cut too!).

Sew ears onto hat between the 2nd and fourth round, along the crease of the hat that appears when you flatten it.

Bunny Nose and Mouth: The nose is stitched on with my yarn and tapestry needle. I just kept weaving the yarn into an upside down triangle shape. Don’t over-think this. You can do it! Then you are going to want to stitch on the mouth using the same method as my puppy dog mouth. Here is the how-to video:

Diaper Cover:
I followed a Free Diaper Cover Pattern from Crochet A Flowers. I followed the directions exactly, using white yarn for the entire diaper cover and edges. I suggested also using a white button to fasten it in the front.

Add a large yarn pom pom for the tail. You can do this by using the cardboard method which I show in my Thing 1 and Thing 2 Hats tutorial, or you can wrap the yarn around your hand as seen HERE.

Download a free PDF of the pattern HERE

*** You may make and sell products from my patterns but if you do I ask that you link back to my post. Please do not copy and post this pattern and claim it as your own. Please do not re-publish photos as your own.***

Want more free patterns? Keep in touch on my Repeat Crafter Me Facebook Page for new pattern sneak peeks and when they will be available on my blog!

Comments

1. jessica says

i am soooo excited to start working on this!!! I look forward to your new posts on here and on fb, love all your patterns!!

THanks so much for the share. I just checked yest if you have this pattern and was very upset I cdnt find one. TOday you have uploaded. THanks a bunch. Your patterns are so helpful and you do an amazing job.

I love your hat patterns! I am having a problem with the sizing guide you use. When I use your guide the hats are usually too small for the age and have to bump up the size and use larger hooks. any suggestions on what I could be doing wrong?

I love your designs. I'm excited to be able to try this one out… hopefully soon! You also make me want to try out Vanna's Choice yarn. I've seen it in Hobby Lobby, but I've never picked it up to try it out. Maybe this weekend I'll pick some up to work on a rabbit for my new niece or nephew that is on the way!

This is an awesome pattern. It was EXTREMELY easy to follow. The tips you included made it very easy to crochet these up in an afternoon. I made them for my six month old twin girls for their first Easter and their six month pictures. The sizes worked really well. I tried many patterns before this one, and this is definitely a keeper. Thank you so much!

Loved the pattern, I used a bit of a bulky yarn for it but just decreased a few rows and it worked perfect. Turned out very cute. Pattern was easy to follow as well…thank you for sharing!

Just love this pattern can't wait to make it thanks so much.. but could someone tell me what it means for the Magic Ring?

i recently started crocheting again after 10 years….because of your page,,my friend just had a new granddaughter and i made your bunny….and i am now hooked,, i have made a frog, sock monkey, mi, and ohio state,, and a bee,, thanks for inspiring me to start again

I absulutely hav fallen in luv with all your patterns. This hat is so stinkin' cute. I made the hat and diaper cover (changed slightly; strap was too short, or maybe I was crocheting too tight)a few days ago with a light gray and light blue/gray yarn. It turned out so cute. I was planning to put on a face, but it's so hard to find the right buttons. Oh well. Love your patterns. Keep on crocheting.

Hi, I just made a hat using this pattern in the "child" size… I'm wondering what size that is supposed to fit normally? it seemed like it came out a bit big,(it fits my head lol)

I just have to tell you– every stinkin' time I see something that I think will KILL me with cuteness, it's one of your projects! They are absolutely adorable and very original! And let's not forget that you have the best crochet tutorials I've ever seen. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE! I can't wait to explore the rest of your blog! Keep up the great work! :)

Your hats are simply adorable! I hopped over to Etsy to see if any of your creations are for sale. It looks like your work is for sale at SoftnCuddlyCreations. Is this your shop? I would like to support your efforts as you already offer so much for free. Thanks for all you do!

Maybe I am over thinking or missing something but the stitch count is 22 at the end of the first round and then 33 at end of second but I am only getting 31 DC?

I am sooo new at this. Would the base of this hat work fine to make toddler size Minnie Mouse hat? I made the Minnie mouse hat for my new grandaughter, but her sister just turned 2 and I need 1 for her also. This is my 1st of any clothing. Ty for the patterns, My minnie mouse hat is great,thanks to you.

No clue what I am doing wrong, but following the pattern for 6-9 months, I have a hat that will fit my head? This is my third attempt at making it and I end up with the same thing each time.

That is odd. I think that maybe your hook gauge is too big for this pattern. try going down a hook size and maybe you accidentally reread a couple of rows. Another good tip is to count your stitches. Make sure you read the pattern carefully. I have never had this problem with her patterns so there is something wrong with your sizing. I hope that this is helpful for you.

Can you give measures in cms as Im in Australia and only have 8 ply so my hat will have more stitches but need to verify how long it should be to work out equivalent please

Thank you for posting this adorable pattern. I’m using the toddler/preschool pattern and the right size crochet hook and yarn, and the stitch count is correct. It seems way too big to me though. It fits my head, and I'm an adult. That can’t be right, can it? Please, help!

Me again. I just noticed that although they're both listed as worsted weight yarns, the gauge for the yarn in the pattern has 12 st. on a J hook for 4 inches, and the gauge for the yarn I'm using has 12 st. on an I hook for 4 in. If I use a hook one size smaller than what I'm using for the pattern will that fix it?

I’m using the toddler/preschool pattern and the right size crochet hook and yarn, and the stitch count is correct. It seems way too big to me though. It fits my head, and I'm an adult. That can’t be right, can it? Please, help! –

hampton bay

They do even the cab they arrived in was rigged with hidden cameras hi Michael Ryder and driven by an actor be the same home a lot about looks is it what's going on heading styles programs if it's been men and women do anything when we think differently ayah Muslim men new world order I 0 this summer well the actor makes sure that all about passengers here the same conversation what I was saying that the scramble down few if it was an independent country it would be the 20th richest in the world this was some Mason boom anything