This post doesn’t have anything to do with crafting, crocheting or crockpoting, but this recipe for carrot cake bars is one of the best I’ve ever had! Growing up, our neighbors used to make these and last week I suddenly had a strong pregnancy craving for them. Would you believe that the secret ingredient is baby food?! Yes, 3 jars of carrot baby food make these cake bars super moist and tasty and there aren’t any yucky carrot, raisin or nut chunks. It’s almost like a spice cake. You must try it!
I pretty much followed THIS recipe from Allrecipes.com but used a regular 9×13 pan instead of a jelly roll pan and also adjusted the cooking time.
– 3 (4oz) jars carrot baby food
– 2 cups sugar
– 1 1/2 cups vegetable oil
– 4 eggs
– 2 cups flour
– 2 teaspoons baking soda
– 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
– 1 teaspoon salt
– Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
– Grease and flour 9×13 inch baking pan
– In separate bowl, sift flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt together. Set aside for a moment.
– In a mixing bowl, beat sugar, oil and eggs until smooth.
– Add in the flour mixture and lastly, stir in the baby food carrots.
– Pour batter into baking pan.
– Bake for 35-40 minutes or until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean.
– Let cool and frost with Betty Crocker Whipped Cream Cheese Frosting