Crochet Cabbage Patch Doll Inspired Hat

A couple months ago I came across THIS crochet cabbage patch doll hat pattern. And about the same time my mom found my old cabbage patch doll that she gave me when I was 4 years old! I knew I was going to have to pass the doll down to my newborn daughter AND make her a matching cabbage doll hat. It is perfect for a Halloween costume!

First I need to introduce you to the Loop Stitch. The entire hat will be made with this stitch so if you aren’t familiar with it, here is a little tutorial on how to make this stitch:

Step 1: Insert hook in stitch.
Step 2: Hook yarn around the backside of both strands of the loop around your finger.
Step 3: Pull both strands through stitch. You now have 3 loops on your hook and one large loop sticking out the back of the stitch.
Step 4: Adjust your loop by pulling it to be a little smaller (if you want)
Step 5: Yarn over and pull through all 3 loops on hook.
Step 6: You have completed one Loop Stitch

And here is a little video. I apologize for the poor quality 😐

When the hat is complete you will want to flip it inside out so the loops are on the outside.

– Worsted Weight Yarn. I used Loops & Threads Impeccable in Soft Taupe.
– Size H Crochet Hook
– Tapestry Needle
– White Ribbon
– Stitch Marker

Abbreviations:
Magic Ring Tutorial
SC = Single Crochet
Lp St = Loop Stitch

Cabbage Patch Doll Hat Pattern
Size: 0-3 Months
Magic ring, chain 1, make 11 SC in ring, continue to crochet in rounds
Round 2: Make one loop stitch in each stitch around (11 loop stitches)
Round 3: 2 Lp St in each stitch around (22 Lp St)
Round 4: Lp St in each stitch around (22 Lp St)
Round 5: 2 Lp St in first stitch, Lp St in next stitch, repeat around (33 Lp St)
Round 6: Lp St in each stitch around (33 Lp St)
Round 7: 2 Lp St in first stitch, Lp St in next 2 stitches, repeat around (44 Lp St)
Round 8-16: Lp St in each stitch around (44 Lp St)
Add more rows if you feel it is needed. I kept mine short so it would sit up higher on her forehead.
Fasten off and weave in ends.

I haven’t tested larger sizes but this is how I would increase:

Note: if hat starts to look skinny/pointy add a row of loop stitches between each increase as you did in the beginning of the pattern

Magic ring, chain 1, make 11 SC in ring, continue to crochet in rounds
Round 2: Make one loop stitch in each stitch around (11 loop stitches)
Round 3: 2 Lp St in each stitch around (22 Lp St)
Round 4: Lp St in each stitch around (22 Lp St)
Round 6: Lp St in each stitch around (33 Lp St)
Round 8: 2 Lp St in first stitch, Lp St in next 10, repeat around (48 Lp St)
(stop increasing here for 3-6 month size and continue loop stitch in rounds until you have 17 rows)
Round 9: 2 Lp St in first stitch, Lp St in next 11, repeat around (52 Lp St)
(stop increasing here for 6-9 month size and continue loop stitch in rounds until you have 18 rows)
Round 10: 2 Lp St in first, Lp St in next 12, repeat around (56 Lp St)
(stop increasing here for 9-12 month size and continue loop stitch in rounds until you have 19 rows)
Round 11: 2 Lp St in first, Lp St in next 13, repeat around (60 Lp St)
(stop increasing here for Toddler/Preschooler size and continue loop stitch in rounds until you have 20 rows)
Round 12: 2 Lp St in first, Lp St in next 14, repeat around (64 Lp St)
(stop increasing here for Child size and continue loop stitch in rounds until you have 21 rows)
Round 13: 2 Lp St in first, Lp St in next 15, repeat around (68 Lp St)
(stop increasing here for Adult size and continue loop stitch in rounds until you have 22 rows)
Feel free to make hat as long or as short as you like. I like to keep mine short so it sits higher up on the forehead.

Braided Pigtails:

Cut 35 strands of 20 inch long yarn. Fold in half and tie another piece of yarn tightly to the middle point of your yarn strands. Use tapestry needle to sew onto sides of hat. Braid and tie ends with a white ribbon.

*** You may make and sell products from my patterns but if you do I ask that you link back to my post. Please do not copy and post this pattern and claim it as your own. Please do not re-publish photos as your own.***

Want more free patterns? Keep in touch on my Repeat Crafter Me Facebook Page for new pattern sneak peeks and when they will be available on my blog!

Comments

Having foot surgery tomorrow and my daughter sent me this pattern.. LOL she said "get your granny hook out". Something fun to do while recovering. Such a cute Baby :)

I found you on Pinterest! So Awesome because I am a beginner and you appear to explain everything so well. I am still working on basics like slippers I found on Youtube (Lol) Hopefully I will be able to make something like this! Maybe I can accomplish this before Abagail is too old, lol – Thank you, MaryWithrow

Call me dense, and you'd be right…. what size would the larger hat in this pattern be? Looking for one for up to a five year old's head… would it fit?

I am a tester for Ira Rott Fashion Designer and I used your before that. She taught us the Loop stitch in her Boston Terrier hat. It is very easy once you get the hang of it. I may have to make this hat. I made over 50 of your owl hats last year for my customers, although I had to use my own adjustments to make them bigger than the newborn size it came in.

I'm following the pattern for the 9-12 month hat and it seems to be really BIG. Is it supposed to fit a little loose? Or should I try and do one less increase?

Hi there! Thank u so much for this pattern, its amazing!! I actually want to make a bunch of these and take them up to the cancer institute and hand them out to the children who have lost their hair. I think it would bring much needed fun and smiles to them! But I have a question. Im done with the hat part, and have my 35 strands cut, but after i tie them in the middle, how did you attach it to the hat and made it look like the braids were coming out the sides? After i tie, do i cut that in half and sew in one set to each side? Because when i just lay it across the top of my hat, you can see it on top. Just a little confused! lol..any help would be GREATLY appreciated! Thank you! If you need my email, it's huggzandkissis33@aol.com . Thank you so much and have a wonderful new year!!! :-)

Sarah, I would like to commend you on being a home maker and Mom to your 3 little ones. No one can replace you, though many would like to, so just keep it up. Mother of 4 aged 23 to 25. (it's true, they do grow up very quickly)

2 of the 3 of these that I made are falling aprart because the loops stitches are coming out… I did exactly as the video showed. How do you lock them so they won't unrvavel?

Wow, I just finished this….a bigger version than you made, but I think it turned out pretty good for my very first time doing a loop stitch! Thanks so much for the great pattern and tutorial!

I finally figured out how to follow you, but wanted to say, I LOVE your patterns! I started crocheting hats this year and didn't really know how to.read patterns but yours have helped me sooo much…I've made a bunch of different hats and can't wait to try this one! I tend to not follow one certain pattern but combine different ones with my own thoughts to see how they turn out :) thank you so much for being so generous with your patterns and creativity….LOVE your blog!

I'm so impressed with this. Have you come up with the larger sizing yet. A girlfriend's daughter wants one made for her daughter…12months old.. I am going to do this cause it is just so darn cute! I have been making hats too. Cupcake hats, elmo, angry bird, apples, candy corn, pumpkin, Frankenstein, piggy, reindeer, Mohawk, berets, ladybug, bananas, doggies, owls, sharks, monkeys, Police cap, USMC cap, and miscellaneous "normal" hats. They are all crocheted and I follow a simple base and just add on elements. I do NOT sell my hats…they end up as family gifts that sure give Me much joy! This cabbage patch doll inspired hat is just plain stunning from "one hat lady to another…I salute you". Thanks for the inspiration and pattern and if you do have the new larger sizing…much gratitude. Jeanne

I just want to say that you taught me how to crochet, and showed me how to make adorable hats for my new son. I have shared this website with all the other moms in my mommy groups and they all love it. So…thank you very much for this wonderful website! I'm just trying this loop stitch now for my girlfriend's new baby – it'll be a great gift!

I just finished making this hat for a friend who has a little girl. It came out great but I made my loops just a bit larger than yours. I'm hoping she'll like it. Thanks for the great pattern.

I would like to try this pattern, but im not sure how to do it to fit 6-12 months.. i saw that you made a suggestion above on how you would increase the size, but you didnt mention what size it will fit with the adjustments made… i hope you can enlighten me

Love this pattern, thank you for sharing! My loop stitches are too loose I guess, Somehow lots of them go flat! I guess I'd better give up but I really want to make this!

Você pode fazer e vender produtos dos meus padrões, mas se você fizer isso eu peço que você ligar de volta para o meu post. Por favor, não copiar e publicar este padrão e reivindicá-lo como seu. Por favor, não voltar a publicar fotos como o seu próprio. – See more at: http://www.repeatcrafterme.com/2013/09/crochet-cabbage-patch-doll-inspired-hat.html#sthash.ylR8jWtG.dpuf conforme a mensagem acima – Quero agradecer a oportunidade de fazer e comercializar peças maravilhosas como esta. Estou reproduzindo e assim que ficar pronto enviarei a foto. Deus abençoe muito sua vida e de muitas criatividades para repartir com a gente. Venha me visitar no face e no blog http://roseartfibra.blogspot.com.br/. Obrigada!

I just unpacked my daughter's Cabbage dolls to give to her daughter, when this post showed up on FB. I have to make her one, can't wait to get started. Hope I can do those loops.