Yarn Storage System

I’ve tried many different yarn storage systems over the years. Shelving in my craft space, baskets by my bed, laundry baskets in my closet, and rubbermaid bins to name a few. All of these resulted in piles of tangled yarn and it was impossible to find what I needed, when I needed it. It was time to find a better yarn storage solution once and for all. I was inspired by this picture of the Lion Brand Yarn Studio (wouldn’t you love to spend the whole day crocheting there?!) and wanted to mimic a little of what they had done in my home.

I first needed to find a place… a new home for my yarn. There was only one spot that made sense to me: the place where I had built my DIY Gift Wrap Station. Yes, the gift wrap station that got featured in Woman’s Day Magazine. It was so hard to see it come down but it was truly the only area in the house that made sense for my yarn storage and the fact of the matter is that I use my yarn way more than wrapping paper. So let me get to it and show you what I did!

I was browsing online for different shelving units and then it hit me, a wine rack would be perfect! I found THIS ONE
on Amazon and the dimensions were an exact match for my space! Ok, I will admit it was a little pricey so if you are handy (or know someone who is) I bet you could figure out how to build a unit like this for much cheaper. It comes unassembled so just building it was enough of a project for us. It is
35 3/4″(h) x 34 7/8″(w) x 9 11/16″(d) with 12 cubbies. It weighs about 40lbs and we secured it to the wall with 3 shelf brackets – two under the top two cubbies and one on the bottom. I currently have over 100 skeins of yarn in it! And I love being able to sort my yarn by color and have it easily accessible. I now know what I have and what I need. And clearly I don’t need any more yarn right now! The rainbow colors make me happy and inspire me to create! I feel happy just looking at all of this yarny goodness :)

Under the “wine rack” we mounted these adorable canvas wall hanging storage bins that I found on Etsy from Odor’s Home. The size and depth was exactly what I was looking for and I just loved this cute shop and all their handmade items. I like my neutrals, but they make these baskets in so many fun patterns and colors! Just take a look at their ETSY SHOP and Facebook page. Suggested uses are for diapers, kids toy storage, books, toiletries, pens, pencils, mail and much more! You could easily use them in any room but I have used them to conveniently hold my crochet hooks, tapestry needs, stitch markers, scissors, rotary cutter, crochet books, my Jordan Paige Tool Butler, measuring tape, pom-pom makers, scrap yarn, Bonbon skeins, and I still have room for more! And the best part is that all of my crochet tools are in one place instead of scattered about the house in ziplock bags and such.

But wait there is more! More yarn! Don’t you hate it when your skeins become small, floppy, they lose their shape and unravel and tangle easily? Well, I finally invested in a yarn ball winder (the Stanwood Needlecraft Large Metal Yarn/Fiber/Wool/String Ball Winder, 10-Ounce)
and it’s better than I ever imagined. I wound all these balls in less than an hour, filling this large
Threshold Color Block Round Woven Basket from Target. The other matching basket holds my specialty yarn, chunky yarn, and crochet thread.

And how could I forget my buttons! I organized them by color in glass gasket jars from Storables.

With spring right around the corner are you thinking about getting organized? I hope this inspires you!

And for more yarn storage inspiration, check out Stephanie from All About Ami’s new yarn storage space! Great minds think alike!

Comments

This is a lovely, simple set up! I'm starting to plan out how I want to organize my craft room and yarn will have its' own section…a wine rack is genius!

I hope none of your yarn you are hanging up has any wool in it or you have just made a MOTH buffet – they will eat up anything that is a pure fiber – that is why I store all of my pure yarns (or yarns where there is some natural content) in plastic bags. It is a lovely set up – just BEWARE…….

You can also take other measures, like routine bug spraying, lavender and other natural moth repellants, etc., if you want to leave your yarn out. It's doable, or all yarn shops would be toast. Plus, there's your incentive to knit furiously and keep that stash rotating. :-)

OMG I LOVE THIS!!!!! I have been battling with different ideas on storing my own yarn but none have been successful, this is PERFECT, thank you so much for sharing xx

What kind of yarn is that? I'm just wondering about the depth and what size skeins this would fit. It is exactly what I've been looking for and planning on doing for my own storage.

It is mostly all worsted weight acrylic yarn (Lion Brand Vanna's Choice and Red Heart). My chunkier yarns are in one of the baskets below. I don't think you will have a problem with the depth! It is almost 10 inches deep and if you look at some of the side angle pictures, there is still a lot of depth left after the skeins are stored.

You have given me so ideas on how to organize my space. My problem is that my main storage area is in a room that was built in the 50th in our backyard and my crocheting in done in the house, so I have things in both spaces. Oh such problems.

So cute! Now that I got all addicted to making hats because of you, I need a storage system as well. My collection is dinky, so I'm leaning towards a sweater organizer from Ikea or Target. I'll hang it on the side of my big Ikea cabinet that stores my collection of quilt fabric. So many hobbies, so little space…
    Jessica
    Allsquaredup.blogspot.com

What a great set up you have.. and just looking at all the yarns is pretty in itself. Did you have room for all your yarn, or just what you use the most? Thanks for sharing all your patterns with us. I've made lots of owl hats for nieces and nephews! Yes, I would love to knit and crochet in the Lion's Brand Studio every day!

I love that. I have my yarn in a Rubbermaid bin and recently went through and cleaned it out and had to toss a bunch of yarn that was all tangled up (there was no way I was trying to untangle that mess). Since then I have sorted all the different colors into 1 gal. ziplock bags. Not awesome but will keep the different colors from tangling at least.

Wow this is so awesome! I've been needing some yarn storage organisation ideas and this is perfect! Wine racks, great idea. And I love the glass jars for buttons. Now I just need to find a place to store my yarn…

thank you for sharing. Now I have to find a space in my home for this type of storage. Currently I have yarn on every floor of my home (3)… clear bin in the master bedroom, shopping bag in the living room and bins/bags in the basement. Hubby is handy so I might ask for this as a birthday gift. Now to figure out which room to put it in as I don't have a dedicated craft space.

I love love love your yarn rack idea. And its actually a work of art to look at. I would be soooo inspired every time I looked at it. And the Jessica lady was oh so right, so many crafts, so little space…
    Thanks for the adoarable patterns also !!

You are very lucky having this room for your hobbies. I'd love to put one of this kind of shelves in my walls, but my house has only two bedrooms, one for us and the other for the one who's coming, so… There's not enough space for "innecesary" things and my yarns and lots of craft stuff are "smashed" in drawers and big boxes in the top of the wardroves… Anyway, I envy you (in a good way) but I love this solution if you have space.
    Sorry about my English, I hope you understand what I mean.

Very nice! Would love to have a craft room that looks like that! But unfortunately I'm reduced to storing my yarn in "over the door" clear plastic shoe organizers that have 24 pockets and each pocket holds 1 skein each. I have 1 organizer on the interior side of my bedroom door, and 1 on (both sides) of my half bathroom door that's off to the side of my bedroom. Needless to say, only immediate family is allowed in those rooms…Lol. Anyway, its a cheap alternative, and now I can store 72 skeins that's easily accessible and visible!