Starbucks Core Coffee Series and Crochet Coffee Coasters

Some things go well together: peanut butter and jelly, bacon and eggs, bees and honey, and my favorite COFFEE & CROCHET! Starbucks happened to take notice of my love for coffee and sent me some samples of their Core Coffee Series! I frequently stay up late crocheting “just one more row” so this mom of 3 needs multiple cups of coffee to make it through the day :)  Of course there is nothing I love more than enjoying my coffee along with a little crochet time. I whipped up some fun crochet coffee mug coasters that would be perfect for a hostess gift and would also work as an appliqué. Or keep them for yourself and use the next time you have company! Free pattern is posted below!

Growing up in Seattle, Starbucks has always been my go-to coffee spot plus you can find many of their coffees (including the ones in this post) available in grocery stores! I had the pleasure of trying the Starbucks® Veranda® blend, Starbucks® House Blend, and the Starbucks® Caffe Verona® blend. The House Blend is my favorite and has been my coffee of choice for some time now but I also really like the lighter more mellow taste of the Veranda Blend. So happy to have found a new favorite! Try them for yourself and let me know which one you like best!

No need for a fancy coffee maker either! I love my Starbucks® Classic Pour-Over Brewer! It brews a single serving cup of coffee and is so easy to use! Just place it over your mug with a Melitta #2 coffee filter and pour hot water over the ground beans.

Crochet Coffee Coaster pattern:
– Size H Crochet Hook
– Worsted weight yarn in main mug color and brown. I used Lion Brand Vanna’s Choice which is an acrylic yarn but a nice cotton yarn would work as well.
– Tapestry needle
SC = Single Crochet
HDC = Half Double Crochet
DC = Double Crochet
Starting with main mug color
Chain 7, SC in second chain from hook and rest of way down, chain 1, turn (6 SC)

Row 2: SC in each stitch across, chain 1, turn (6 SC)
Row 3: 2 SC in first, SC in next 4, 2 SC in last, chain 1, turn (8 SC)
Row 4: SC in each across, chain 1, turn (8 SC)
Row 5: 2 SC in first, SC in next 6, 2 SC in last, chain 1, turn (10 SC)

Row 6: SC in each stitch across, chain 1, turn (10 SC)
Row 7: 2 SC in first stitch, SC in next 8, 2 SC in last, chain 1, turn (12 SC)

Row 8-12: SC in each stitch across, chain 1, turn (12 SC) Note: chain 2 at the end of row 12.

Row 13: DC, HDC, SC in next 8, HDC, DC,

Drop main color but don’t fasten off. Change to brown yarn, chain 1, turn
Row 14: SC in first 2, HDC, DC in next 6, HDC, SC in last 2, fasten off brown yarn
Pick up main color yarn again and slip stitch across top (of brown) in back loops only, continue to SC around edges of cup and join with slip stitch to first slip stitch, chain 1, turn,

Make 2 slip stitches, chain 8, skip 5 stitches and join with slip stitch, slip stitch in next, chain 1 and turn, SC, make 12 HDC around chain 8, join with SC, slip stitch in next, fasten off and weave in ends.

As a new member of the Starbucks Blogger Community I will be posting several Coffee + Crafty posts sporadically over the coming year! I hope you stick around to see my coffee reviews which will always include a new free coffee themed crochet pattern or craft tutorial! Starbucks did not compensate me for this post. All opinions about the coffee and other products are 100% my own!

Yammie, Starbucks coffee. I have to travel to get a Starbucks, but that keeps this coffee special. The coasters are gorgeous. I'll crochet them for my sun and his wife. They are living in Seattle and they love to drink Starbucks coffee.
    Thanks for sharing.

Have a great day, Margaret

• Melissa says

Hi there-

Did you have any challenges with this? A couple of us wind up with our handles on the other side–and we can’t flip it because we have stitches showing from the color change on the back side (because it was done in BLO).

If yours came out correctly, might you be able to point out what I’m doing incorrectly? I just love these–but I’m just a tad frustrated!

I think the confusion comes when you don’t fasten off your mug color yarn. You leave the yarn hanging there and introduce the brown, but when you finish row 14, it says to fasten off the brown color and turn. Thing is, the yarn you still have left hanging there is on the other side, So you really don’t turn it there. Once you fasten off the brown, stay on the same side you’re working on and pick up the yarn of the main color that’s still hanging there (to the right side). That way, when you get back around you can follow the rest of the directions and your handle will be on the correct side.

2. Lei says

These are super cute! I’ve made one already, but it didn’t turn out exactly like the picture. My handle is on the opposite side. I could flip it over, but the other side has stitches shown from the main mug color. Is there a step I am missing somewhere? Could anyone help explain what I may be doing wrong?

• Melissa says

Did you ever figure this out? I’ve got the same issue–the handle winds up on the opposite side and and I can’t flip it because of the same reason you stated! I keep trying to figure out what I’ve done wrong…

Can anyone help us/me?

3. Virgie Villescaz says

Love starbucks and these coffee cups will go excellent with my starbucks coffee.
    Thank you and can’t wait for future patterns.

4. Jennifer says

Ok, I think these are so cute but I’m a little confused on row 13. Do I crochet all of those stitches (dc,hdc,sc) in each of the next 8 stitches or do I (dc,hdc,sc) in separate stitches for the next 8 stitches?

5. Catherine says

My handle is also on the wrong side and at the top of the side of the cup not one row down as it looks in the picture. I thought my handle was backward at first because I’m crocheting it left handed (a lot of my stuff is backward to the patterns I try).

My husband is a big coffee drinker. He drinks a whole pot before he can get going in the morning. Lots of great coffee present ideas, and as I am learning to crochet I may have a got at your cup mats. They are really cute.

I just made one of these with some leftover cotton yarn I have. So cute, and once I read the pattern through a few times, I figured out how to do it correctly. Thanks for sharing!

8. mary beth says

Cute but stuck on the handle as well. I’m confused about the very last detail in this instruction..chain 8 and….I’m lost right there. I wish I could figure this out.

• Susan Huckaby says

You need to skip 5 of the sc on the cup itself, then slip stitch into the 6th sc. . . At least that is how I read it. . .

9. Susan Huckaby says

Thanks for the coaster pattern!! I used Peaches & Creme 100% cotton to make a set of 4 for my daughter when she moved into her new home, and I am making them in a variety of colors for my Curves members and Sunday School class members!! I did change the pattern slightly. . . I made 2 “cups” and then sc them together and then added the handle. . . This makes them a little thicker, thus more absorbent. . .

10. Beverly Graham says

Love the coffee cups…Perfect for my granddaughter as her kitchen is done in coffee cups and coffee. The best ones I have seen. Thank you.

11. Alice says

Do you have a pdf for this pattern for me to see it better? Would love it if you do… Thank you… Great pattern!!!

• Kaela says

Row 13: dc in first st, hdc in next st, sc in next 8 st, hdc in next, dc in last st.

I’m responding because I was a little confused by it, too! :)

12. Marvel says

I made this pattern and it turned out perfectly the first time….then I’ve made about six more and they all curl. Do you have any idea what I am doing wrong?

• Angel says

Press Print this! It will download then printer out at home or library or friends.

Good luck with getting the pattern to start.

13. Angel says

Starbucks Coffee and Coaster

I am still new at crocheting, My problem is now stuck on row 13 and finishing the pattern.

If anyone has made this please help, it is so cute right now.
    I would really hate to stop and tear out the work and give up.

I found when I am learning any new project Videos/Diagrams/Charts – The extra know how
    I am better at reading charts with the symbols or viewing a video on how to make than reading written pattern on some harder projects in crocheting, sewing and quilting.

14. Ariella says

I love this pattern!!! I want to make some as a going away gift for one of my teachers. She loves coffee haha!!
    Is anyone able to explain the color change? How do you drop the main color and then pick it back up again? I taught myself crochet and I guess I’ve not learned that trick yet lol.

15. Sandi says

Kaela, Just wanted to THANK YOU for explaining how to do row 13…I think this row has alot of us confused. :-) THANKS again for helping us who couldn’t figure it out. This is really a cute idea for us coffee lovers :-)

So cute, Sarah! I was thinking these would be really cute as potholders in my kitchen. I have a coffee/cappuccino kitchen window curtain, and coffee themed kitchen towels. I am thinking of using a thicker cotton yarn and a larger hook and making them into matching potholders that hang on the cupboard handles from the coffee mug handles. 😀 Such a cute idea, thanks for sharing your pattern!
    Heather Macias
    Sugar Hiccups Boutique

17. Katherine M Fridirci says

What adorable coasters!! My daughter is a Barista & Coffee Master at Starbucks, and will absolutely love these when I make them for her!!