Cardboard Roll Snake Knitting

TPKnit10

I’ve been busy working on setting up a project for my sons 1st grade class! It’s an easy “knitting” project that is perfect for elementary age kids. With a cardboard roll, tape, and popsicle sticks, you can set up a simple loom. Then just like you would finger weave, you wrap the yarn around the tops of the sticks and you can create a fun and easy knitted snake! Make it as long or short as you’d like. A long snake would make a cute cowl!

TPKnit1

– Cardboard Roll (empty toilet paper or paper towel roll)
– Red Heart Super Saver variegated yarn.
– Popsicle sticks
– Masking tape

Directions:
1. Tape 5 popsicle sticks evenly around toilet paper roll. The sticks are supposed to be about a half inch or so over the tube. Make sure you loop the tape around several times in two spots so it’s secure.

TPKnit2

TPKnit3
2. Send end of yarn through tube. Now loop the yarn around the yarn around the top of popsicle sticks. As seen in picture below.

TPKnit5

3. To start second round, Take the yarn and just set it over the front of the first popsicle stick above the first loop you made.

TPKnit6

4. Take the first loop and pull it over the second strand of yarn and over the top of the popsicle stick.

TPKnit7

5. Continue just like that for as many rounds as you’d like! It should start to look like a spider web.

TPKnit8

TPKnit9

TPKnit11

When finished, slip loops off of stick tops and weave yarn through the loops to secure.

A great project for the kids to work on throughout the Fall and Winter! Keep in a baggy and take it on the go for the perfect boredom buster!

Comments

1. Linz says

You are so creative. I love your ideas and your crochet patterns are amazing. Thank you for all your ideas and for sharing them with us.

2. Patricia says

Reminds me of the knitting tubes we used as children. What a fun idea to share with my 5 year old granddaughter.

This is so great, but it is NOT working in my head (my fault, not yours!). Is there any way you could either make a video showing how this is supposed to work, or direct me to one? I’m sure my daughters would love this!

4. Pamela Myers says

This isn’t working in my head either. Is the front of the stick on the outside or inside ? Your picture for ‘set the yarn over the front of the first popsicle stick’ appears that it’s on the inside but that doesn’t seem to make sense. Maybe when I actually build this and try it out it will make more sense. I really want to do this with my 6 & 4 year old grandkids!

5. Beth says

This a great idea for working with my grandchildren. They LOVE weaving potholders and those rubber band bracelets. But this only requires things that I have around the house all the time! And it is so easy to do. Thanks for the great idea!

6. Veronica Garcia says

Thank you for sharing this idea. I did this project with my girl scout brownie group. They really had fun with it and felt like they created something just like me they are begging me to teach them to crochet.