Crochet Owl Hat Pattern in Newborn-Adult Sizes

By popular demand, I am happy to present the crochet pattern for larger owl hats! But first, lets go over a couple of frequently asked questions.
Q: What is a Magic Ring?
A: I like to start all my hats with a magic ring. The magic ring can take some getting used to, but once you get the hang of it, it really is a great way to start crocheting in rounds. HERE is wonderful explanation on how to make a magic ring by my friend Kara from Petals to Picots. She gives you pictures and a video tutorial!
Q: Where do I start my rounds?
A: Always start your round in the same stitch as your chain 2. This will help hide the seam.
I will let this picture do the explaining.

Q: Where do I join my rounds?
A: Always join to first DC, NOT your chain 2. This will also help hide the seam.
Now for the long awaited patterns!

Supplies:
• Vanna’s Choice® Lion Brand medium worsted weight yarn (I use Barley and an accent color such as pink, green, purple, turquoise)
• Crochet hook size H-8 (5.0 mm)
• Tapestry needle for weaving in ends
• Two 3/4″ black button for eyes

Abbreviations:

ch – chain
sl st- slip stitch
SC – Single Crochet
DC – Double Crochet
HDC – Half Double Crochet

HDC Decrease – Half Double Crochet Decrease
TC – Triple Crochet

Gauge:

4″ across = 14 double crochet stitches

4″ height = 8 rows of double crochets

Size: Newborn is available HERE

Note: I have simplified this pattern since writing the newborn size so you may notice the larger sizes start differently and have a different stitch count but in the end they will look the same.

Size: 3-6 Months
Magic Ring, Chain 2, 9 DC in magic ring, join to first DC, ch 2
Round 2: 2 DC in each around, join to first DC, ch 2 (18 DC)
Round 3: 2 DC, DC in next, repeat around, join, ch 2 (27 DC)

Round 4: 2 DC, DC in next 2, repeat around, join, ch 2 (36 DC)
Round 5: 2 DC, DC in next 3, repeat around, join, ch 2 (45 DC)
Round 6: DC around (45 DC)
Change color, join and ch 2
Round 7-10: DC around (45 DC)
do not fasten off, begin on first earflap as written below for this size

Size: 6-12 Months:
Magic Ring, Chain 2, 9 DC in magic ring, join to first DC, ch 2
Round 2: 2 DC in each around, join to first DC, ch 2 (18 DC)
Round 3: 2 DC, DC in next, repeat around, join, ch 2 (27 DC)
Round 4: 2 DC, DC in next 2, repeat around, join, ch 2 (36 DC)
Round 5: 2 DC, DC in next 3, repeat around, join, ch 2 (45 DC)
Round 6: 2 DC, DC in next 8, repeat around, join, ch 2 (50 DC)
Round 7: DC around (50 DC)
Change Color, join and ch 2

Round 8-11: DC around (50 DC)
do not fasten off, begin on first earflap as written below for this size

Size: Toddler/Preschooler
Magic Ring, Chain 2, 9 DC in magic ring, join to first DC, ch 2
Round 2: 2 DC in each around, join to first DC, ch 2 (18 DC)
Round 3: 2 DC, DC in next, repeat around, join, ch 2 (27 DC)

Round 4: 2 DC, DC in next 2, repeat around, join, ch 2 (36 DC)
Round 5: 2 DC, DC in next 3, repeat around, join, ch 2 (45 DC)
Round 6: 2 DC, DC in next 4, repeat around, join, ch 2 (54 DC)
Round 7: DC around (54 DC)
Change color, join and ch 2
Round 8-12: DC around (54 DC) do not fasten off, begin on first earflap as written below for this size

Size: Child
Magic Ring, Chain 2, 9 DC in magic ring, join to first DC, ch 2
Round 2: 2 DC in each around, join to first DC, ch 2 (18 DC)
Round 3: 2 DC in first stitch, DC in next, repeat around, join, ch 2 (27 DC)

Round 4: 2 DC in first stitch, DC in next 2, repeat around, join, ch 2 (36 DC)
Round 5: 2 DC in first stitch, DC in next 3, repeat around, join, ch 2 (45 DC)
Round 6: 2 DC in first stitch, DC in next 4, repeat around, join, ch 2 (54 DC)
Round 7: DC around (54 DC)
Round 8: 2 DC in first stitch, DC in next 8, repeat around (60 DC)
Change color, join and ch 2
Round 9-13: DC around (60 DC)
do not fasten off, begin on first earflap as written below for this size

Size: Teen/Adult
Magic Ring, Chain 2, 9 DC in magic ring, join to first DC, ch 2
Round 2: 2 DC in each around, join to first DC, ch 2 (18 DC)
Round 3: 2 DC in first stitch, DC in next, repeat around, join, ch 2 (27 DC)
Round 4: 2 DC in first stitch, DC in next 2, repeat around, join, ch 2 (36 DC)
Round 5: 2 DC in first stitch, DC in next 3, repeat around, join, ch 2 (45 DC)
Round 6: 2 DC in first stitch, DC in next 4, repeat around, join, ch 2 (54 DC)
Round 7: DC around (54 DC)
Round 8: 2 Dc in first stitch, DC in next 8, repeat around, join, ch 2 (60 DC)
Round 9: 2 DC, DC in next 29, repeat around (62 DC)
Change color, join and ch 2
Round 10-14: DC around (62 DC)
do not fasten off, begin on first earflap

Size: Large Adult
Magic Ring, Chain 2, 9 DC in magic ring, join to first DC, ch 2

Round 2: 2 DC in each around, join to first DC, ch 2 (18 DC)
Round 3: 2 DC in first stitch, DC in next, repeat around, join, ch 2 (27 DC)
Round 4: 2 DC in first stitch, DC in next 2, repeat around, join, ch 2 (36 DC)
Round 5: 2 DC in first stitch, DC in next 3, repeat around, join, ch 2 (45 DC)
Round 6: 2 DC in first stitch, DC in next 4, repeat around, join, ch 2 (54 DC)
Round 7: DC around (54 DC)
Round 8: 2 Dc in first stitch, DC in next 8, repeat around, join, ch 2 (60 DC)
Round 9: 2 DC, DC in next 9, repeat around (66 DC)
Change color, join and ch 2
Round 10-15: DC around (66 DC)
do not fasten off, begin on first earflap

*************
Earflaps for 3-6 month, 6-12 month, Toddler/Preschooler:

Earflap 1:
Row 1: Chain 2, HDC 10, chain 2, turn
Row 2: HDC decrease, HDC in next 6, HDC decrease chain 2, turn
Row 3: HDC across, chain 2, turn (8 HDC)
Row 4: HDC decrease, HDC in next 4, HDC decrease, chain 2, turn
Row 5: HDC across, chain 2, turn (6 HDC)
Row 6: HDC decrease, HDC in next 2, HDC decrease, chain 2, turn
Row 7: 2 HDC decreases, chain 2, turn
Row 8: HDC decrease, fasten off leaving long tail.

Earflap 2:
Leaving 15 stitches along the front for 3-6 month, 18 stitches along the front for 6-12 month, and 20 stitches along the front for Toddler/Preschooler …
Row 1: Chain 2, HDC 10, chain 2, turn
Row 2: HDC decrease, HDC in next 6, HDC decrease, chain 2, turn
Row 3: HDC across, chain 2, turn (8 HDC)
Row 4: HDC decrease, HDC in next 4, HDC decrease, chain 2, turn

Row 5: HDC across, chain 2, turn (6 HDC)
Row 6: HDC decrease, HDC in next 2, HDC decrease, chain 2, turn
Row 7: 2 HDC decreases, chain 2, turn
Row 8: HDC decrease, chain 1, turn
Continue to SC around the entire hat. Join to first SC and fasten off, leaving long tail.

*************
Earflaps for Child and Teen/Adult:

Earflap 1:
Row 1: Chain 2, HDC 12, chain 2, turn
Row 2: HDC decrease, HDC in next 8, HDC decrease, chain 2, turn
Row 3: HDC across, chain 2, turn (10 HDC)
Row 4: HDC decrease, HDC in next 6, HDC decrease, chain 2, turn
Row 5: HDC across, chain 2, turn (8 HDC)
Row 6: HDC decrease, HDC in next 4, HDC decrease, chain 2, turn
Row 7: HDC across, chain 2, turn (6 HDC)
Row 8: HDC decrease, HDC in next 2, HDC decrease, chain 2, turn
Row 9: 2 HDC decreases, chain 2, turn
Row 10: HDC decrease, fasten off leaving long tail.

Earflap 2:
Leaving 23 stitches along the front for child size hat, 25 stitches along the front for adult size hat…
Row 1: Chain 2, HDC 12, chain 2, turn
Row 2: HDC decrease, HDC in next 8, HDC decrease, chain 2, turn
Row 3: HDC across, chain 2, turn (10 HDC)
Row 4: HDC decrease, HDC in next 6, HDC decrease, chain 2, turn
Row 5: HDC across, chain 2, turn (8 HDC)

Row 6: HDC decrease, HDC in next 4, HDC decrease, chain 2, turn
Row 7: HDC across, chain 2, turn (6 HDC)
Row 8: HDC decrease, HDC in next 2, HDC decrease, chain 2, turn
Row 9: 2 HDC decreases, chain 2, turn
Row 10: HDC decrease, chain 1, turn

*************
Eyes (Make 2):
In first color (this is your accent color):
Magic Ring, Chain 2
Round 1: 10 DC in magic ring, Change color to white before joining to first DC, chain 2 (10)
Round 2: 2 DC in same stitch and in each stitch around, join, chain 1 (20)
Round 3: SC in same stitch, 2 SC in next, *SC, 2 SC in next, repeat from * around, join to first sc, fasten off leaving long tail to sew on (30) After sewing crocheted eyes on, sew 3/4″ black button in the center for the eyeballs

*************

Nose:
Small nose:
Chain 5
Slip stitch in 2nd chain from hook, SC, HDC, DC, fasten off leaving long tail to sew on
Medium nose:
Chain 6
Slip stitch in 2nd chain from hook, SC, HDC, DC, DC, fasten off leaving long tail to sew on
Large nose:
Chain 7
Slip stitch in 2nd chain from hook, SC, HDC, DC, DC, TC fasten off leaving long tail to sew on

*************
Ears:
Cut two strands of 12 inch long pieces of yarn in each color (6 strands total).
Loop through 2 DC’s in the crease of the 3rd round.
Knot and trim to approx 1″

*************
Braided Tails:
Cut three 1 yard strands of each color (9 strands total).
Pass through last space in earflap. You should now have 18 strands to braid with.
Make knot and braid approx 5.5 inches long, knot, trim ends.

Download a PDF version of this pattern HERE

Want more free patterns? Keep in touch on my Repeat Crafter Me Facebook Page for new pattern sneak peeks and when they will be available on my blog. And I would love for you to share the owl hats you create from this pattern on my Facebook wall! Feel free to stop by, say hi, and post a photo :)

*** You may make and sell products from my patterns but if you do I ask that you link back to my post. Please do not copy and post this pattern and claim it as your own. Please do not re-publish photos as your own.***

Comments

Your update of the new sizes came just as I was attempting to change the newborn hat pattern into one that would work for my 12 month old! I wasn't too far off but thank you, thank you, thank you(!) for providing the larger sizes! :)

Thanks for the pattern! Do you have approximate head circumference sizes that each of these sizes would fit? Thanks!!!

Thanks for the pattern and the tips. I was just noticing today that my seams were showing, now I know what to do about it.

Wahoo! I'm soooo excited! I just found the newborn pattern yesterday and already have it made. I was just getting ready to figure out a bigger size on my own so I'm glad you posted this now (seeing how i really have no idea how to)! Thank you! Thank you!!

I can't believe you're sharing this pattern for free! How awesome are you?! I love to crochet but can only make rectangle-shaped things. 😉 I will have to learn more though because I absolutely have to make my daughter one of these! It's just way too cute! Pinning for later :)

I have had your site tacked to my favorites bar for a week. Your bigger pattern came just in time! I was going to start this a few days ago and I waited because I dreaded figuring out how to make the hat bigger. THANK YOU!!!!!!!!

Just a little helpful advice. When you get to the earflap on the 3/6 months 6/12 months toddler/preschool Row 2 should read Row 2: HDC decrease, HDC 6, HDC decrease, chain 2, turn. If you don't add the extra HDC decrease at the end you will have a "lopsided" edge and be a stitch short on the next row. Also row 3 should read Row 3: HDC across Ch 2, turn (8 HDC). I hope this helps. :)

Love these owl hats! I just found your blog and made a newborn sized hat the other day. Thanks for sharing the tips in the beginning… while I'm not new to crocheting anymore when I was those would have been very helpful! :)

9. Beanner says

Hi Sarah
    I would like to thank you for sharing the Owl hat pattern .I have this week off and plan to make some of the things that I have pinned .So I started the hat around 9:00 this moring and completed at 7:00 .It was the adult size ,turned out great.
    Thank You once again.
    Beanner

Wow, thank you so much for sharing!! I can't wait to try this pattern. I was also thinking of making it a solid color for my grandson, and turning it into a monster. Thank you again! I'm going to follow your blog now :)

Hello Sarah! I liked your owls so much! Thank you for the pattern as well as thanks for your way of round joining! It's helpful for me! I've pinned on Pinterest your owls if you don't mind…
    Have a great week!
    ~ Olga

I was doing the Large Adult hat and round 9 it says it ends with 66 stitches….. I kept getting 63 with one space left. I recounted round 8 and had 60sts and redid round 9 twice and got the same thing and then looked at the math and the 2dc+ the 19dc only equal 21dc and theres 3 of those in the round which would only equal 63. Maybe I did something wrong and am crazy (thats nothing out of the ordinary lol) any help would be appreciated :) thanks for all your fabulous patterns!

Hi I was wondering if you could tell me the gauge for the hats. I made one in the newborn size and its too small barely fits my little girls doll! I used size 5mm.

• Anonymous says

I am having the same problem. I am making the preschool hat and it probably would only fit a newborn. I am not a tight crocheter either :(

Same thing here. I tried 3 different size hooks now and still the result is too small. I just made a 6-12 months and it measured 25cm, a new born head is average 30-37cm, isn't it? Any help would be much appreciated =D xx

Somebody else e-mailed me with the same problem and it turned out they were making single crochets instead of double crochets. Is everyone sure they are using the Double Crochet stitch for the hat? This is the American English double crochet stitch, not the British English double crochet. Please let me know if this is the case!

Hi Sarah, thanks for replying :)
      I'm definitely doing US DC that is equivalent to UK TR, but still not working. I am using Wendy DK 100% yarn, but I tried with wool yarn and still got the same result. Could you let us know the circumference of yours?

I am doing the US DC too… and it is not working…. for the toddler size I need extra stitches and much more rows. I am using Worsted Weight yarn (4) But don't feel very bad! It is good that you put the pattern out there without charging a thing! I really appreciate it.

Sure, I'll do it tonight. And I'll explain you the rows that I added on. Maybe I am doing something wrong, I don't know! I am using the standard US DC (yo go through stitch yo, pass 2 loops, yo, pass 2 loops).

I had the same problem. I followed the pattern exactly for the toddler/preschooler. My grandgirl is 15 months old and petite. The hat will barely fit on her head and is very tight. I thought maybe I did something wrong. But I followed the pattern perfectly. I used a combination of worsted weight and baby weight. Used a size H hook. Any Ideas? Maybe add a few stitches to each row? Instead of ending with 54 stitches end with 60? I also used the standard double crochet stitch. The hat was also really short. I was surprised to look at the other sizes and see that they are very similar at the beginning of the pattern. I thought that the adult size would start with more stitches at the beginning. I appreciate any help you can give. My email address is: godsprincess1980@gmail.com

I love this hat and love the pictures but I am having the same issues. Way too small. I made the preschool toddler one for my 2 year old granddaughter and it did not fit. Very cute but way too small. I am going to try the adult size now to see if that will fit her. I don't know what I am doing wrong. Using double crochet and H hook and red heart medium worsted weight yarn. What am I doing wrong? I want to make a real adult one and don't know how to adjust the pattern

I just found your blog thanks to a friend of mine. She saw the pictures of your owl hats and decided I just had to make it for her new grand daughter. So of course I had to comply. I love your hat and I featured it on my blog. Come on by sometime. I hope you enjoy it.

(sorry the delete was mine cause I put in the wrong link. :-)

So I made one of these last night in gray and green… attached the eyes and realized, hey, if I leave off the beak and only do one "ear" in the middle, it's totally a robot! lol

Thanks for a great pattern!

16. Leanne says

This is probably a stupid question, but for the rounds that say something like: "Round 7: DC around (54 DC)," "Round 10-14: DC around (62 DC)," are you supposed to join and chain 2, or do you just continue going around somehow without doing that? This is my first time working in the round other than granny squares, which I guess doesn't really count.

And I want to say thanks so much for the patterns, these hats are super adorable!

Thanks,
    Leanne

HI i love your pattern thank so much for sharing
    has any one had this problem
    i made the toddler preschool size and then made a 6-12 month one and my 6-12 month one ended up bigger im wondering if theres an error on the 6-12 month when it says

Magic Ring, Chain 2, 9 DC in magic ring, join to first DC, ch 2
    Round 2: 2 DC in each around, join to first DC, ch 2 (18 DC)
    Round 3: 2 DC, DC in next, repeat around, join, ch 2 (27 DC)
    Round 4: 2 DC, DC in next 2, repeat around, join, ch 2 (36 DC)
    Round 5: 2 DC, DC in next 3, repeat around, join, ch 2 (45 DC)
    Round 6: 2 DC, DC in next 8, repeat around, join, ch 2 (50 DC) RIGHT HERE should it really be 8????? or should it be 4 im wondering if this is why my hat ended up being bigger than the toddler size????? HELP
    Round 7: DC around (50 DC)
    Change Color, join and ch 2
    Round 8-11: DC around (50 DC)
    do not fasten off, begin on first earflap as written below for this size

Hmmm, well if you changed the 8 to 4 then you would actually be adding more stitches in, making the hat even bigger…so I'm not sure what is going on. I just looked at my hats again and my toddler/preschooler size is bigger than my 6-12 month size. I also counted my stitches and the 6-12 month has a 50 stitch count around where as the toddler hat has 54 stitches around so more stitches makes a bigger hat. Did you use different kinds of yarn in each hat? Sometimes that can cause hats to be slightly bigger or smaller. Feel free to e-mail a photo of your hats and maybe I can get a better idea of the problem! RepeatCrafterMe@gmail.com.

Love this pattern! Thank you! Making a Newborn hat as a photo prop for a photography friend. I'll have to share when she uses it. I, aslo, *love* the Vanna's Choice, et al, yarns, my favorite, and am so happy this pattern involves her yarns. I really like the hint of extra thickness to it as a worsted weight yarn. But the Supplies section on all of these Owl Hat Patterns have no mention of the yarn for the nose. I'm assuming I could just use any yellow piece of scrap yarn in medium worsted weight, but I would still like to know what you used?

Thank you. I figured it was mustard. I used a yellow that I had in my stash. I just tagged you with a photo of my finished product on my Facebook business page. I left out one row of Barley and inserted an additional contrast color row on my newborn hat for a photo prop. Thank you!

hello!
    I just wanted you to know that I just made this, with a few alterations (because i used homespun yarn), in maybe 6 hours today for my daughter's friend's birthday. I started it 7 hours ago, and in that time not only did I get it done to drop off before the party is over (looonnngg party), but I also cooked and ate my breakfast, watch several hours of Coronation Street while doing it, and taught my daughter how to shave her legs! You are so awesome to make this available for free…THANK YOU!!!!

First I want to say SUPER CUTE! And THANK YOU! I have made these in differant sizes and they all are too small for the size they are suppose to fit. Had to go teen/adult to fit a 6 year old. Just wanted people to know. I felt bad to have to tell the little girl I would have to re make it larger.

Glad you like the pattern! That is funny you said they were all too small because I just had someone e-mail me telling me they are too big! I will be sure to post gauge this week. But everyone crochets tighter/looser and uses different yarns. Glad you were able to figure out what size you needed to go with. So sorry you had to disappoint the little girl :( You are sweet for making her a second hat!

Im new to hat making and im trying to make this for my daughter…im just wondering about the ear flaps, how do you connect the second ear flap? cut the string and begin crocheting into the last line of the hat?? Sorry if this is a dumb questiong :S

Love, love, love this pattern…my only problem is that I made the adult large, and it barely fits my 4 year old! I used H hook, worsted weight yarn, and was using dc (not sc). Can't figure out why it's coming out so small! Does anybody have any suggestions?

Hi Carrie, 3 others have had the same problem and it wasn't until after they sent me pictures that I was able to confirm they weren't using the DC stitch. One was using SC and another was making HDC stitches (but thought they were making DC). Could you send me a picture of your hat at RepeatCrafterMe@gmail.com? If this isn't the problem then maybe I can detect what else may be going on! Thanks so much!
      -Sarah

• Lisa M says

Please share if you figure out the issue…my child size will barely fit a doll. I followed pattern to a T, used the same yarn and H hook. So disappointed, the hat is absolutely adorable.

I just sent you a photo of mine. I am having the same issue. Almost complete with the hat for my grand girl and it it so tight on her head she won't be able to wear it. Would love any help you can give!

I made it in the Child size and found that it wasn't quite big enough for my 3 year old. But I think she has a bigger head and I think I just like longer hats probably. She has about a 20 inch head. So I am trying the TEEN/ADULT size and I actually did two of the round 7's to try and add some length in the right area. I keep making her "try it on". I'll let you know how it works out!

I'm also using the I Hook this time to see what happens. I kinda like it so far! :) Great pattern. I think this is the one I will use for lots of other hats I may do.

I wanted to say thank you for sharing your patterns. I have been looking for a good owl hat for about a year now and this is the best by far! I also love the magic ring, it makes getting started so much simpler and keeps the hole small :)

Wondering if anyone has figured out the problem of why these are coming out so small. I've made two with H hook, Vanna's Choice yarn, followed pattern to the letter and they were too small to fit anything. Today I went up to an I hook, made the adult large, added rows at 54 DC, 60 DC and 66 DC and the adult large barely fits my 4 year old. I really want one in my size but I just can't figure out how to make it bigger. Just to clarify – the DC stitch I am using is YO, insert in stitch, YO, pull loop (3 on hook), YO, pull through 2 loops, YO, pull through 2 loops. I'm pretty sure this is the standard American english DC.

Hmmm, I am beginning to think I might just crochet loosely? I made the teen/adult size last night and it fits my head perfectly. Stay tuned everyone, I will try to get a video tutorial made this week!

I've found that everybody crochets just a little bit differently, so wide variations in gauge are not necessarily the fault of the crocheter or the designer. At the same time, this makes it even more helpful to have a stated gauge for a pattern. It also helps to give measurements for each size. If you have one of these hats handy, I would just grab a ruler and measure 4" across and count how many dc you have. That would give us something to compare our stuff to, and we'd right away be able to tell whether we crochet tighter or looser than you do, if we need to go up or down a hook size (or 2, or 3!), etc. :)

Yay!! Thanks so much – I can't speak for anyone else, but this helps me a ton!

I found your blog when a lady asked me to make an owl hat for her baby girl. The picture she sent me was of one of your hats! You're beyond generous to provide these for free, and to allow selling of finished objects. You rock! :)

26. Sandy S says

Thank you so much for sharing this cute pattern! My niece, who is expecting her first baby, loves owls so I'm making one for her baby shower this Sunday. I just checked back as I hadn't printed off one of the photos and found out you now have other sizes. I may now have to make her a matching hat!

Finished this in the newborn size last night…SO cute! My favorite part of the pattern, though, was learning your round joining technique. I've always had awful, ugly seams and this eliminated them completely! Thanks so much for sharing!

28. Mayela May says

This is my very first time reading a pattern, and actually learned the stitches through YouTube. But i am wondering why does the edge of your hats look so even, especially on the ear flaps. Mine dont look like a chain stitch all around. What am I doing wrong?? Please help me!!

Do you have a size estimate for the circumference (or diameter) of the large adult hat? I'm making a different type of hat for a friend but using your large adult pattern. He's given me his head circumference but I'd just like to be sure that your size would be big enough. Your teen/adult size worked perfectly for my head so I'm sure the larger size will be fine, but he lives a state away so I just want to be sure!

I love that you have the different sizes! I couldn't ever figure out how to get them just right. :) I find it funny that everyone else had their hats come out too small, my first couple of hats came out too big!

Thank you sooo much for sharing this pattern! My daughter has wanted one of these but they are just too expensive in stores. My mom crochets so guess what I'm going to try & talk her into making!! :) Again, thank you for sharing this pattern!!

just finished my first one. i used beige, purple and white. he looks a little funny but hey it's my first one….i would show a picture but i don't see an option for that. thanks for sharing.

33. Becky Reisinger says

I am making this for an 11 year old,used the pattern for the teens and everything was going great. I got through the 14th round and it is way to short. I am on gauge but I am having to add 2 more rounds before the ear flaps. I wish I would have known it was going to need extra rows. I wouldn't have changed colors when I did.

Thank you so much for this pattern! I adore it and have made so many hats in the few weeks since I've found it! I did want to mention that I had trouble with the hats being too short, as well. I've noticed that adding one extra row of DC at the end (before starting the earflaps) works well. Anyway, I linked you on my blog and just wanted to stop by and show some love! http://knottyniknaks.blogspot.com/

You. Are. Awesome! These are the most simple crochet instructions i've ever read!! My grandma taught me how to do a single stitch a loooong time ago and that is all I've ever known how to do. I'm trying to broaden my crochet skills. Thanks for your help :)

Hello~ I've been admiring your work!

I would very much like to feature this Crochet Owl Hat Pattern on my website.

The focus of my website is to provide everything & anything crocheters look for and want on the internet. The tone is upbeat and friendly.

Each pattern I feature includes your photo, a direct link to your site and, of course, is credited to you.
    Your actual pattern is not reproduced in any way.

Please visit http://www.crochethappy.com and browse a bit. If you agree to have your pattern (s) featured, just send me an email, or reply to this msg here on Ravelry.

I hope to hear from you soon!
    You can email me at tracy@crochethappy.com

Tracy Joyner
    Website: http://www.crochethappy.com
    Blog: http://asktracyann.crochethappy.com
    Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/crochethappy

I've just made this hat for my two year old daughter who's quite big for her age so I used the measurements for a child instead of toddler.It's beautiful and I'm very grateful for the pattern!!!Thank you!!!

Just finished my 4th owl hat! I made 2 for my 3yr old and 4month old they were admired so much 2 of my friends asked me to do their babies one!

Such a simple pattern to follow, thanks!

X

Hi, thanks so much for the pattern. I have tried over and over again but my "hidden seam" doesn't come out straight like yours I've no idea why but I've tried countless times. I must be doing something wrong but I really can't work out what :(. Any help would be appreciated x

Just completed a 3/6 month hat… I used slightly different weights for the brown vs. other colors – and it's fine… (I was using up old yards before buying new!)
    I tend to crochet tight and so the 3/6 month is too small for my 4 month old. Lol (she is also on the 'large' end of the growth charts though!)
    the circumference is perfect – it's just not long enough. I'm going to gift the first one to a friend who is due early December and remake my daughters – I'm going to add in an extra row of brown at the correct stitch count and then add an additional row of pink at the end… I think this will take care of the length issue for me….

Thank you so much for posting this pattern… I will be making many of these as gifts – in all the sizes most likely!

So nice! Thank you very much. This is the first thing I've made for my 8mth old granddaughter. I'm new to hat-making and I have a couple of questions. First, my hat has a bit of a point in the top that I don't see in yours. Any ideas why? And, do you have any tips for sewing on the eyes/nose as to help keep them in place as I sew and to keep myself from stretching them out as I sew?
    Thank you and I look forward to discovering more of your patterns.

These are super cute!! I want to thank you for posting this pattern. I have used it so much!! I use this hat pattern for a lot of different hats. I love to crochet, but I hate coming up with my own patterns!! It takes someone super talented and patient to do this!! Thank you again!! Libby!

43. kat says

Hi. Sorry but I can't figure out if I should count the chain 2 as my first dc for that round, or not. Please answer as soon as you can 'cause I'm stuck here! BUT I love it and can't wait to get going on it again! Maybe someone else can answer?

• Anonymous says

No just DC what number it calls for in the pattern. So Magic Ring, Chain 2, (then ) 9 DC in magic ring, join to first DC, ch 2.

I am so sorry I told you wrong. 9 total, so yes it counts because the next row is supposed to be 18 DC. I should have read the pattern beyond the first line.

45. Jobthingy says

Super pattern! Thank you so much. It was really easy to follow. 3 hours ago I sat down to start it (Teen/adult size)and I am complete! (Well short of sewing the eyes and nose on and braiding the tails.. so lets say 3 hours and 15 mins total.

Quick question – I made the smaller ones and am attempting a larger size… what is the purpose of the repeat @ 54DC (row 7) and then increasing after that?
    Is it possible to simply do the increase row and then repeat?
    – PS – for those who are using worsted weight yarns and KNOW that they crochet tight – using an I hook instead of H (at least for me) matches gauge just fine.

• Alexis Wise says

I think the repeat of row 7 just helps with the natural curving of your head, the middle area where the curving isn't as extreme (?). Idk if that makes sense or not. Like I said in my above comment, I actually did two row 7s. It just seemed to add the a little more length in an area that didn't end up making it super huge at the bottom. And like you, I used the I hook. Worked better since I crochet tighter, too. :)

• Victoria says

Amber, if you leave your tails long enough on these small pieces you can stitch them on very securely. Hope this helps :)

thanks for the pattern, and another thanks too LMesser i wish i had read the comments sooner. i seems to always always crochet tight, it appears, and wonder why i never get a pattern right =(…so i am gonna start over and try with a different hook. i made the teen/adult and it wouldn't fit my three year old son =(

thanks Dana!
      I hated that I couldn't follow patterns because I could never match gauge – then my grandmother sat down with me and we each did a pattern – same yarn same hook – she's never had gauge issues. We compared and realized how tight I crochet – then I did the same pattern, same yarn, one hook size up – and matched gauge! Not very scientific – but it worked! (and I ended up with 2 washcloths from it!)

These patterns are wonderful – I'm on my 4th hat so far and am gifting them all for Christmas presents!
      Happy Crafting!
      and thanks again to Sarah for all her wonderful free patterns!

48. Jenni says

Thank you so much for the wonderful pattern, and the great photos on where to start and end each round. That helps me so much as I struggle to make joined rounds look good! One more question–do you count the ch2 at the beginning of the round as your first stitch? Thanks!

Just made my first one and it turned out so cute. I did have an issue with size as well, but after looking at the picture a few time, it is just the size/type of yarn I was using. I've had this issue with baby booties in the past, so I've just learned what yarn makes what size with the different brands.

How do you attach the eyes and nose to the hat? Also do the beginning chains count as the first dc? I didn't make them count and as far as I can tell the hat looks alright.

51. Victoria says

I absolutely love your patterns and think you are a star for sharing them for free, thank you thank you thank you.

I think I may have figured out the sizing issues that I keep reading people are having, and I too have experienced. Today I decided to follow the pattern, but ignore the round stitch count which I've paid great attention to before now. My hat seems to be the correct as its 'title' would suggest. I wonder if you just follow the pattern, Sarah and have perhaps counted wrongly when creating the patterns?

Hi Victoria, I am not sure what you mean by ignoring the round stitch count? Did you just crochet in a spiral? But I do believe I know why some peoples hats are coming out too small. If you don't use Vanna's Choice choice yarn (specifically the barley color which is much thicker than other yarns) the pattern won't work as well. I followed my pattern again but used a different yarn (Loops & Threads) and sure enough the hats came out too small. I am also a loose crocheter, so you might want to take that into account. Here is the good news, I used this same pattern for my sock monkey hat pattern, but altered it so that each size will come out bigger than what is written here. Feel free to use the sock monkey earflap hat as a base for the owl hat if you are having issues with the hats coming out too small. http://www.repeatcrafterme.com/2012/11/crochet-sock-monkey-hat-pattern.html

Hi there. I don't know if you answered this or not (I did read the comments to try to figure it out, but sometimes I miss things), but I was wondering if the ch 2 in each round of the hats counts as a dc or not? I just wanted to make sure before I get too far into a hat and find out it messed the hat up somehow because I counted it when I shouldn't have.

Thank you in advance for the help, and this is an adorable hat pattern!

Hi Molly, No do not count your chain 2. Basically the chain 2 acts as a filler between your DC's in each round which helps hide the seam. I hope this helps you and anyone else who was wondering as well :)

Hi, Thank you for the pattern. I have found that I can't reach guage on most patterns out there. I tried your pattern and I'm finding the same problem. It's me not the pattern. I have tried changing hooks and stitches to try to get guage and I just can't. Could you please tell me what the diameter and the height should be on each hat. I want to make hats for my 11 Grandkids for Christmas (not much time). And, they all range from 2 weeks to 12 years so, I would need them for each one. Thank you.

Hi Sarah! This pattern is too cute! I saw a link on Pinterest, and I had to come and check it out!!! Zoh my goodness, I'm glad I did. I think I'm going to have to make matching mommy/daughter owl hats for the holiday season! Thank you so much for such an adorable free pattern!
    xo Jaime

Hi! I absolutely love this adorable pattern! And you make it so easy to follow but I seem to have come up with a problem and as a beginner I need your expertise. When you change colors is usually when you stop increasing and just DC all the way around and so (going by your pictures) the hat stops getting larger and sort of straightens out, which makes sense because the number of stitches stays the same but when making my own hat, I reach that point and it doesn't look like the hat is straightening out at all and so it ends up being to small. I've counted and recounted the number of stitches in each round to make sure they match the number you say and they all do so I'm wondering if maybe you've ever come up with this problem or what you think I might be doing wrong. It's really bothering me and I very much appreciate your advice! Thanks!

I have a few friends who want me to make an even larger adult size… any suggestions…they want it about 4 more stitches larger. Also LOVE this pattern…absolutely adorable !!!Thanks!!!

Trying out the pattern and am a bit puzzled. For all sizes the first earflap is started immediately after ending the last row, without moving away from the back seam. Should I sc over a certain number of dc to get to an 'ear position'? Otherwise the first earflap is in the wrong place. HELP!

58. Belén says

Hi Sarah!

I just wanted to say a big THANK YOU for the pattern and give you my feedback.
    So I used worsted weight and a 5mm hook, and went for the teen/adult size as I use a XXS helmet and wear short hair. Halfway thru I started to read the comments and saw all the complaints about the hats being too small, so I switched for the large adult size. The result? I undid the 15th row as the hat turned out too large for my face; in fact the teen/adult size would had fitted me perfectly well -but I'm fine with the extra 4 stitches as I'm acostumed to wear slouchy berets and a tight hat would have been uncomfortable for me.
    The pattern is just right, and FREE!!!

hi sarah! i am on the 2nd ear flap and wanted to ask you something. are the ear flaps not supposed to be an equal distant apart on each side? because depending on which way is front, there is more space between them on one side than the other. just wanted to make sure i'm doing it right and if so, which side is the front? the side with the bigger space between ear flaps?

Thank you so much for this adorable pattern! I made an adult size for a friend of mine and it turned out beautifully. I posted a pic of it on Facebook with a link to your page, and another friend said her young son would just love one of those hats. So I'll be making a small one soon. Thanks again for posting this pattern. I just love it.

Can you please email me at savenyiaj@gmail.com with the outcome of your teen/adult hat? For some reason, the shape looks very cone-like and not as round as the baby ones. Thank you in advance. I have made several of your newborn hats and they are just darling!

I found that I needed to use a "J" hook instead of an "H" … I didn't realize I crocheted so tightly until I started this pattern! At the end of the increase rows, just before the color change, I realized the hat was definitely not going to fit a grown up. {I even used the Lg Adult pattern} … I didn't run a swatch to see, but seeing as how I use a "J" for just about everything, it makes sense that I'd need to go up two hook sizes.

Regardless, this is a fun pattern and I appreciate you offering it for free!!
    Thanks so much!

I made 2 so far in the child size….my 1st one I did as directed for my 7 yr. old grand daughter…but the 2nd one for preschool turned out sooooo small.I decided to try the child size again but went down 1 hook size and used a G hook….PERFECT !!!!!

How many DC are in the "magic ring"? I'm trying to start the toddler/preschooler size~ Any help is appreciated. Thank you!

I just wanted to say THANK YOU. This is only my 3rd project and I'm so delighted with the result. I just finished it and I wanted to say how easy I found to follow your instructions. I've looked at many other patterns for this type of hat and yours was the easiest to understand for a beginner like myself.

I love this pattern! I've used it so many times already. I also altered it to make a Minion hat from Despicable Me. I start with yellow, make the last row of grey for the owl into black for the minion and finish with yellow. Then put a row of single crochet around the eyes in grey, embroider a mouth and tie some black hairs at the top. Just thought I'd let you know that you've inspired my creativity! Thank you so much!

I love this hat. I'm making hats for all of my nieces and nephews. I used this pattern to make an owl hat and I tweaked it to make a Minion hat. I love it! Thanks!

Love this pattern. I just finished three for my sister and her daughters for Christmas. I've also noticed this pattern at two different craft fairs recently. It's very generous of you to offer this fantastic pattern for free. Thanks for bringing so much cuteness into the world!

I love this pattern! But I'm having some trouble. As I was working on a hat, I noticed the seam began to curve to the right. I've followed the pattern as written (for the child) and double checked the pictures with the instructions and the stitch counts each round, and I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. I don't suppose you'd know why the seam's spiraling?

70. Elizaj says

Thank you so much for a well done, specific pattern. They turned out adorable and my grand daughters love them. I have used other patterns found online and they are often not accurate. I found yours to be great! Also, your kindness and patience for those with questions is admirable. God Bless!

Pattern is amazing! I found that by using a size larger hook, the hat fit my toddler perfect (he has a big dome). Also, I didn't have buttons for the eyes, so I just did a round of brown 10 sc on magic ring, and then changed to accent color and followed the pattern – worked great! Thanks again for posting for FREE!!

I love this pattern! I made my first one between last night and this morning. I wore it out to the store today and already got compliments. My husband even wants one now. He's a silly one. I'm definitely making more for all the newborns and toddlers in my life. Thank you!

I am using a J hook on this pattern. It comes out perfect, exactly to the gauge each time. It took me almost 3 days to figure out the right combo for my yarn, how I crochet and how to get them to fit right! Take the time to measure your work. That is key!!!

Also, using double crochet on the ear flaps for the teen/adult, large adult size hats helps make it look a bit better and fit better over the ears.

I just wanted to say that I have found your patterns so easy to follow. My projects from your blog are awesome!! Thank you!

Thank you so much for this pattern. I've made 3 owls, a green monster with teeth and 2 plain ones. The sizes are spot on although I did add a row15 to the adult hat. You do a great job with detailed instructions and are very creative. Keep up the great ideas. You are an inspiration.

I love this pattern, thank you so much! I've made three – one for my niece and one for each of my cousin's daughters.

Because I'm not too comfortable in my ability to sew buttons on where they'll stay, I made a variation to the eyes:

With black, magic circle, dc 10, change colors, join, ch1.
    With accent color (eye color), 2sc in each dc, change colors, join, ch2.
    With white, *dc, 2dc* repeat around, finish off.

Thanks again!

You are indeed a patient CRafter. Bless you for kindly answering all those questions. I am a Grandma of 13 and have crocheted over 50 years. I find your photos with arrows, and your tips and notes, extremely helpful. Most other patterns I just have to "know" or make up my own steps. When I make a project that's a little "off" our family calls it a "ka-ka". Keep up the creative work.

I have made two of these this week. My granddaughter was having an owl theme birthday party and i googled looking for something to make and found your pattern. I started at 9 pm and was able to finish it in the car the next day. Thank you for the cute but easy to follow pattern!

Thank you so much for posting this for free… I make hats for the local Childrens Cancer Hospital and I am going to use this for some to take there…

Hi Sarah,
    I'm fairly new to crocheting, and my hat turned out really small. I used Vanna's choice yarn, and I also used this site to show me how to do basic stitches. http://crochet.about.com/od/crochetstitches/tp/basic-stitches.htm
    Are the stitches on this site incorrect for a double stitch?
    I'm going to take the hat apart and try again to see if I can get it bigger. There is also part of the instructions in making the eyes I find confusing. It says on the instructions to start with color 1 and switch to white, but on your hats you started with what I would consider to be color 2. Is color 1 the same color you use for the ear flaps, or for the very top with the magic ring?
    Thank you! Ellen

Hi!
    I've made several of these owl hat, newborn through teen/adult. If I'm using the Vanna's Choice, they come out perfect(if not I just adjust the pattern)! What a great pattern. Everyone loves them! Thanks for the post :)

such a cute hat! i am on number 2 now(i made size 3-6 and now im on toddler) and i just have a quick quesiton. with both toques, the first color i crochet with, it stays flat like a coaster until i add the second color then it starts to resemble a toque shape. i have tried using a thicker wool and making my stich tension even tighter, just wondering what i may be doing wrong.

o you don't join at the top of the chain? I was under the impression you join at the top of the chain and SL, ch 3 or 3, dc in the same stitch as the chain and then continue on with the necessary increases. Help! I'm confused now

Thanks

Absolutely love this pattern and can't wait to get some yarn and try them. I've been trying to figure out a way to print this but it keeps telling me I have to pay to sign up for something before it will let me print. Anyone else have this problem? What can I do? Thanks for any suggestions!

86. Karen Mastrianni says

My sister sent this to me about a month ago and I am finally printing it out and going to get the yarn tomorrow. We both love to knit and crochet. Thank you!

Thank you so much. Your question and answers and pics are very helpful. Trying to teach learn how to crochet and you have made it soooo much easier. Pinning a few of your things now so I can try them out eventually. :)

88. Eloisa says

Thank you very much! It´s a wonderful pattern and I love the result. I´ve made a hat using it, (excepting the eyes, I´ve made it closed, as if the owl was sleeping) and I have the intention to show the result in a few webs (facebook, pinterest, my blog,…) I assume it will be okay if I make a link to your website and the pattern. Please forgive my poor English, I hope you have understood.
    Thank you!

Hi,

I want to know how should I decide if I am supposed to dc in the next 8 (like you have done) or dc in the next 5 or whatever. What rules do I have to follow?

I am making a hat in double crochet and I have 62 stitches. I want to make it 63 stitches, how do I do this. Is there a certain round where I have to do the increase. What is the sequence for increasing. Thanks so much in advance. I really enjoy all your patterns. I am new at this and love it.

I am really enjoying all of your patterns!! I am making a pig hat from a different designer & am having a hard time. I have decided to follow your hat pattern instead. Looking forward to more of them!!

Thank you so much for this pattern! I made one for myself and my sister and am in the process of making one for my mom and dad for when we go skiing. my mom and dad wanted the same color so i am going to add a bow to my moms so that we can tell them apart. Also, do you know where a good pattern for how to make sleepy eyes is? Do you happen to have one? Anyway thank you for the pattern!

I want to thank you for all your great patterns, and for the great explanations. Even though I'm a long-time crocheter, I can't make some things (like hats) look "perfect". Your tip on the magic ring AND how to start/join the rounds to make a hidden seam have really changed how I crochet hats! THANK YOU!

I was doing great until I got to Round 9 (Size Large/Adult)…The instructions now say 2 DC, DC in next 19…., but all the other rows say 2 DC in first stitch. So where am I putting the first 2 DC's?
    Also, I come up with only 63 stitches, not 66.
    I saw where someone else asked about that as well, but I could not find a reply.
    Thanks, Tracy

I love this hat very much! Thank you for the pattern and for the useful tips. I like to translate it to my language, and share with my online crochet community if you agree. With correct attribution, of course. Some grannies didn't speak English but they'd like to make this hat for her grandchildren. Thank you, and greetings:
    Erika from Hungary

These are absolutely beautiful. I am making one for my grand daughter. Question….Are the eyes overlapping? Thanks so much for sharing.
    D

This is a fantastic pattern, and you are doing a wonderful service by making it available at no charge.I have made two already, and have two more requested, and I will be linking back to your site when I post about them. Thank you, and keep up the awesome work :)

98. Jenn says

I am teaching myself to read crochet patterns as I could only do a rippled afghan a month ago, in the last month I taught myself the granny square… today was my first real pattern and this was it… I did it in a few hours and the finished object is so cute my friends want some! thanks a bunch, will make great gifts!

Hi Sarah,
    I just finish one for me (I'm making 2 more for birth very soon) I just didn't make the earflaps for me, change the eyes and add a cute little heart on the back… I would like to THANK YOU very much for your cute-easy pattern, may I send you a photo? I'm so proud ^_^
    XOXO, Lilou from France

WOW!!! These are so lovely!! You are extremely gracious to share them with everyone. I live in Bridgetown, Western Australia and it gets very cold here. Winter is on its way down here and I am going to make a owl hat for myself, my friend and her granddaughter and my grandson. Can't wait to see the results!! Again, thank you, your generosity is greatly appreciated.

Your patterns are fantastic. Each time my baby girl goes out in her owl hat she gets an average of 4 complements! Your detailed instructions and photographs are especially helpful. I'm currently working on my 4th hat and I've tried 3 different sized, they all turn out perfectly. Thank you so much for sharing.

Today, I went to the beachfront with my kids. I found a sea shell and gave
    it to my 4 year old daughter and said "You can hear the ocean if you put this to your ear."
    She placed the shell to her ear and screamed. There was
    a hermit crab inside and it pinched her ear. She never wants to go back!
    LoL I know this is totally off topic but I had to tell someone!

my weblog; exploreworld.typepad.com

Thank you for any other excellent post. Where else could anyone get that type of
    information in such a perfect way of writing? I've a presentation subsequent week, and I'm
    on the look for such information.

Feel free to surf to my web site: Cheap Nike Air Max 1

Thank you so much for sharing this pattern! They are so easy to follow, & the tip on hiding the seam is amazing I never would have thought of it. Thank you again!

I'm 14 and have been crocheting for 3 years now (or maybe more, not sure). I am absulutely in love with owls and as soon as I saw this pattern for a owl hat I knew immeadeatly that I HAD to make this pattern. I am nearly done with it, except for sewing on the eyes and beak. Your patterns are superb. I look forward to seeing more of your crochet patterns. Keep on crocheting.

I absolutely love your patterns! A couple of quick questions. I have made the newborn and the 3/6 month hats and they are very similar in size (in fact, almost identical). I was just wondering if they difference in patterns would cause this or if I may be doing something wrong. I have read through the previous comments and don't have any of those issues (yarn type, wrong stitch, etc). Also, I was going to start making these hats and give them as gifts… do you have any suggestions as to where to find buttons in bulk or do you just buy them in small quantities?

So if you lose track the gauge should help right? I working on a different project and came across this one. But I don't have a tape meausre to gauge it. How would I count the rounds since I don't have a tape meausre? I can't find anywhere to help me with this and I have done stuff in the round before but they were smaller projects of mine. Can you help?

Thank you so much for this pattern, especially with the different sizes. It is now my go to for all the hats that I do to get the right sizes. You are amazing. Thank you again.

Hi, thank you for the lovely pattern. Can you tell me the measurements for the hat height for a 6-9 month old? I'm making one for a friend and I want it to fit perfect.

Hi, Love this pattern, My little girl wanted a Mohawk hat, so instead of putting the owl face on I added a Mohawk down the center. By the way the download pdf pattern still says "DC in next 19" (round 9) instead of 9.

Love this a lot. Made 2 for my twin boys. Having trouble at first about sizing, cause I'm using a smaller size of yarn. But finally made it, yay!! Thanks a lot for your great pattern. My next project is: puppy hat ^^

Thank you for sharing the pattern and all the other ! They are all really beautiful :)
    I made one crochet owl hat in pink, if you have 2 minutes to spare, you can come see it on my blog.
    See you soon!

love this!! never wanted to attempt an owl beanie before this post, I love how you provide info for all sizes as Im a newbie and need my hand held still. Thank you for sharing your amazing talent…. Natasha

Love your patterns and thank you so much for sharing them!
    I had a question, After changing colors what do I do with the Barley yarn that is still attached? Do I cut off leaving a long tail and weave in or something different? Also I'm making the 3-6 month size and it's looking pretty tiny. I'm doing the correct number of stitches and using the same yarn, but it doesn't look like it will be fitting a 3-6 month old. I did read some comments of others having the same problem, but I didn't see any other comment of the solution to this problem.
    Thanks again for the pattern!

hello…may i ask a question…i want to know which type of yarn did u use for turquoise yarn? because i search at vanna's choice yarn does not have turquoise colour..

I'm not sure if this question was asked yet. About how much yarn would I need for the teen/adult size? I'm not a good judge of it and I don't mind having extra yarn, but dread when I don't have enough. Thanks in advance!

Thank you so much for this cute pattern. I adore all the patterns you share. Thanks for sharing them for free! You are very talented. I love your blog and all your projects! Have a great weekend.

Get tutorial!! I'm a newbie and could follow along pretty easy. The close-up photo's were a great help. I'm to the earflaps and I have one question. Actually someone else had the same question, so I hope I didn't miss your reply.
    The earflap is started immediately after ending the last row, without moving away from the back seam. So the seam will be on the side of the head, not the back? Did one earflap, but it didn't seem correct so I pulled it all out. Just want to make sure. Thanks again for the pattern!

This is coming out so cute!

I am new to crochet ( I have made 2 hats before) and wanted to make sure I am doing this correctly! For rows 8-12 (on the toddler/preschool size) you don't join and ch 2 after each row? Is that correct? Or do I join and ch2? Thanks so much! I am sorry if this seems silly!

I am so excited to be making this hat since my daughter asked me to make it for her baby!!! However, the pattern is difficult to understand starting in Round 3. It took me awhile to figure out that the pattern means * 2 DC in 1st DC, DC in next * repeat around, join, ch 2 (27 DC). Round 4 means
    * 2DC in 1st DC, DC in next 2 * repeat around, join, ch 2 (36 DC). etc.

I was working on a Size: 6 – 12 months hat where the directions were not clear. I see now that starting at Size: Child, the pattern is written correctly. I can't wait to get going!!

Sarah,
    I stumbled across your site by way of this adorable owl hat pattern. I have spent the last 3 days coming back to your sight. I am not much of a blogger but my mother was. She was a very talented tatter (http://threadsofatattinggoddess.blogspot.com/) I think she would have enjoyed your site as well. I have a 5 month old granddaughter that I a going to make this hat for. Thank you so much for generously sharing your patterns. I look forward to trying some of your other patterns as well.

Hi Sarah,
    Thank you for sharing such a wonderful pattern. I am doing the child version of the owl hat. I have a small doubt. In round 8 before starting the double crochet, do I need to chain 2 as in other rounds or do I need to skip it. Please let me know.

Thanks,
    Sudha.

I just love this pattern!! I just made a newborn one and it turned out so cute!! I have one more to make in pink for a toddler! Im giving them as gifts. Thanks soooo much for sharing with all of us!!

This must be a dumb question since no one else has asked it. I do not understand why you begin the first earflap at the back of the hat. Then the seam will be on the side of the hat?? Please enlighten me.

Hello, I am having trouble with my stitch count. When I do the hidden seam, I am coming up short stitches when I join to the first DC. For example, I did 13 DC in my magic ring (for an adult hat). The next round I got 24 DC, then 35 DC in the next round (instead of 36), then 45 (not 48) and 55 (not 60). Any help with this would be greatly appreciated!

Hello repeatcrafterme, love your patterns, but seem to have an issue with the child size. Not sure if when I changed colors that your to continue with the chain two for the final steps! I also made the same for the zebra but changed up the color and that one two came out very large I took pictures of the two and would love some advice! I made a toodler and that one seem to come out just fine! Thanks for your patterns

I would love to send you pictures of two hats that I made using your pattern for a child, it seems that some where I made a mistake or where you change colors the chain two is to be dropped! I also followed the zebra pattern and that two came out too big any suggestions? I tried to send you a email but it came back to me as wrong address! Thanks for the pattern they are very cute!! Made a 0-3 month and a toddler and those seem to come out fine! Just issue with the child one! They actually fit my husband and my 12 yr old son! HELP please.

Sarah, your blog is outstanding. I just recently came across it while looking for a giraffe hat for a friend. Another friend was coming over for lunch today and she just had a new grandson. She loves penguins and when I saw the hat I went through my yarn and found the right colors. I had it completed before she got here and she just loved it. Can't wait to make more of your creations! Thank You

Thank you so much for this owl hat pattern. I made one for my granddaughter and one week old grandson. I'll share pictures after Christmas. Now my daughter wants one! Super cute!

Thanks so much for your pattern! My sister's due next month with her 2nd boy, and wanted a cute hat to bring him home from the hospital in. This is what she's using!

Dear Sarah, I want to thank you for generously posting this owl hat pattern. Your instructions are easy to follow with great results every time! As other reviewers said, your tips helped me immensely as well. Thanks again!!

I just want to Thank You…For the perfect pattern,
    My grandchildren will go Bonkers over them.
    Sooo easy to make and yet So nice,
    Everyone thought it was store bought! great Work!
    Sincerely
    Sonja

Do you start your magic ring with single crochet or double crochet? I started with double but am wondering if this is right. I am also wondering for the eyes.

Thanks for this pattern! I use it all the time to make all kinds of hats. I will say that I find the sizes to run quite small, but with a few adjustments the hats turn out great. I could crochet tight, but I don't think I do. Maybe most people I'm making them for have large heads lol! Thanks again for this awesome pattern!!!

Hi there, I love your owl hats so much I joined the blog! How wonderful this pattern is still circling about after all this time. I've read through most of the posts and am looking for the link to the tutorial. Did you create one? I'm hoping you are still watching these feeds as it's been nearly a yr since the last post. Thanks!!

I just did the adult size and it def came out weird. When you say round do you mean row? is there really only 15 rows on the adult hat? I feel like I am missing something please help!!

Hi Kelsey, Sarah doesn't seem to be answering questions about this project any longer. Maybe because so many questions are repeated and already answered. I made the hat and it came out beautiful. To answer your questions, a round can mean working an entire row or round. In this case it's round because you are working in rounds. You join your work using the slip stitch. You will be joining it to the 1st DC. And yes, there are only 15 rows on the adult size hat. If you are joining with a DC or SC, it's going to come out different.

Thank you so much for sharing your pattern! I am making this hat for my friend for her birthday. I have followed the large adult pattern to the letter, but realized early on that it was going to be way too small. And I am using an "I" sized hook. Since I'm still working it, I don't have my modifications yet, but when I finish I'd be happy to send you a picture and the revised pattern I've created! Email me if you like: lambkins823@gmail.com. Or I can post here in the comments if you want! Thanks again for sharing!

Thank you so much for all your great free patterns. Question though… for some reason when ever I follow your patterns I end up with an extra stitch each round. For instance after 9 dc in the ring, I do 2 dc in each stitch but I always always end up with 19 instead of 18, ect. I have been just skipping doing 2 in the first stitch and just do one so I get the right count. But this is driving me crazy. Your pictures and explanation about joining to the first dc and starting in the chain are so clear so I can not for the life of me figure out what I am doing wrong. Any thoughts?

Hi, I found this pattern and made a couple of hats from it over 6 months ago but I can't remember if I commented on it. I just wanted to say thank you for all your hard work in writing this out and posting it! Your pattern is super easy to understand and the pics help so much! ♥

Thank you for the amazing patterns! Yours is my favorite crochet blog. This is my go-to pattern for hats. You have helped me improve my crocheting so much with your tips!

Sarah!,
    Thank you very much for posting all these beautiful tutorials, I studied in an only girls school, so even before they taught us to read or write the nuns would teach us to knit, crochet, embroider, etc… (at 6 years old!), I always thought I was never gonna use it or that learning it was going to be a waste of time…a couple of weeks ago I tried to do this beanie and it worked perrrrfect!!!, at the beginning was hard but after an hour and with the help of your tutorials it just came so easy as if my hands and fingers were working by themselves, and I discovered how much fun it is, I am a homestay mom….so it does take all the stress away!, and now I am thankful for having those nuns to teach me that many girly stuff :) . Ok, the thing is that they became so good that with a group of young girls from church got interested and now…I am teaching them (since they don´t speak english) and finally, we have a goal, to make as much as possible so we can take them on christmas to a poor hospital and give them to newborn babies.
    Your tutorials are such a blessing, we can discover the gifts God has given us and we can do right and serve other people…Thank you very much, greetings from Arequipa, Peru :)
    Claudia

Hi,

I am a beginner crocheter so perhaps this is all general crochet knowledge but here's my question–when I go to the next round by joining and then chain 2 to begin the next round–does that count as the first DC for that round? In other words, for size 6-12 months , round 2…2 DC in each around, does that mean ch 2 and DC, then 2 DC in each space after? I get that you start in the DC not in the ch space.
    Because I'm using the Barley. I'm having some issues seeing stitches so I keep getting different numbers. I have taken it apart (again) so I don't have a photo to send you.

Any help is greatly appreciated!! Thank you for your time! I look forward to learning something new! This will be my first hat project–but I did recently complete the zebra striped baby blanket that another crochet blog had posted.

Christiana

No the chain 2 does not count as your first st. Dc in the same st and that's your first one. Also sl st to the 1st dc, not the ch 2. Hope I helped :) oh and put 2 dc in the same st as the ch for round 2 :). She probably already answered you but I wasn't sure.

Hi,

Christiana Mercier

Thanks a million for this adorable pattern which is simple enough for us newbie crocheters! Just one beginner question if you don't mind… why do we chain 2 when turning chains for DC is usually 3? That part has me confused! Thanks. Trina

First off great site! I'm just looking for some clarification on starting my next round while increasing. I've read that you're not supposed to count your starting chain, so when increasing would you chain up, and then put 2 DC in the stitch that the chain is in?

Toddler only = 39cm… my 20 mo old has a 45cn head… that would equal 63 DC stitches. I'm using your guide up top.

Do LOVE the patterns though so will just make it bigger

Fabulous pattern thankyou so much. I have made one for my nieces friend and her new baby. I made them identical and they look amazing! For UK crochetters, I used a chunky wool which seems to ahve got the sizing right.

im struggling with this pattern i have attempted to make this at least 30 times but it just seems to come out wrong every time. i have followed the pattern to the T but the top of the hat comes out flat in stead of coming down. please help i can send you a photo to show you what i mean –

Hi Sarah, would you mind telling me how you change colors?
    Do you join the new yarn as you finish the last double crochet, or do you finish off and then join in a new yarn?

I'm not sure why, but when I change to a white color, that transition looks incredibly messy. Usually this is seamless, and I can barely tell where I switched unless I count the stitches and find the chain 2.

Any advice?

Great pattern and so easy to follow! Thank you! I'm a beginner and have a hard time sometimes with joining the rounds and starting stitches. Love the hat!

Do you know what the circumferences are for the teen/adult compared to the large adult size? I want to make this for my 22 year old daughter, who is gaga for owls, but I'm not sure what size to make. Thanks! These hats are soo cute, I'll probably make one for everyone in my family!