Pumpkin butter makes a great Fall gift or a nice little treat for yourself. If you like the taste of pumpkin pie, you will love this spread on muffins, scones, or toast. But even better, it makes wonderful desserts like pumpkin bread, pumpkin bars, pumpkin cookies and cheesecake.
I happen to be making this pumpkin butter when my water broke on Saturday. When the doctor told me I needed to go to labor and delivery right away, I had to cut the cooking time a little short, but it still turned out great and it’s been a real treat now that the baby and I are home.
– 2 (15oz) cans pumpkin puree
– 1 cup apple juice
– 1- 1/2 cups sugar (I used 1 1/2 but its really sweet. I could have easily just used a cup)
– 1 tsp cinnamon
– 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice (or a mixture of ginger, nutmeg, cloves)
1. Mix all ingredients in crock pot and cook on low for 5 hours.
2. Stir occasionally. Mixture should stick to spoon (not runny) when done. It will also slightly thicken when cooled.
3. Let cool and store in a mason jar in the fridge for a week or up to 6 months in the freezer.