Are you planning a crafting get together? Or do you know a crocheter who has a birthday coming up? If so, these yarn ball cupcakes are the perfect treat for your party! Or make them for yourself just because you love yarn!
These are actually very simple to make and use store bought items:
– Cupcakes (I used vanilla with vanilla frosting)
– Glazed Donut Holes for the base of the yarn balls. The glaze helps the fondant stick. I bought THESE ONES
– Wilton Neon Colors Fondant for the yarn. You can find it at most craft stores (like Michaels) and sometimes at the grocery store.
– Strawberry Pocky sticks for the crochet hook. You can find these in the Asian foods section of the grocery store. I have also seen them in the Target dollar section! You can get them in chocolate flavor as well.
– Basket Cupcake Wrapper Printable from Skip to my Lou <—- click highlighted text for free printable.
Here is what you need to do:
Spread frosting over the top of your cupcake. I bought pre-made cupcakes from my grocery store bakery because I was feeling really lazy. You could of course make your own cupcakes either from scratch or from a box mix and use any kind of frosting you’d like.
Role fondant into a skinny coil. It doesn’t have to be one long coil, you can role a bunch of shorter coils. I found that it helped if your hands were a little bit damp. If they were too dry the fondant would crack, too wet and it would start to melt. But just a little damp and it was a cinch to work with.