When I was shopping at Target last week, I came across some blue polka dot duct tape and today I did something fun with it. I made bows and ties! I thought these would be a good addition to our trunk of dress-up clothes, but they turned out so well I think they could be a fun photo prop or even a cute accessory. Best part is, you can dispose of them when they get torn or ruined and create a new one easily and cheaply.
Here is how to make the bow:
1. Cut a piece of duct tape about 9 inches long.
2. Fold both ends over so they overlap slightly in the center. Your piece should now be about 4 inches long.
3. Fold the piece accordion style, 3 times. Cut another small strip of tape and fold over edges leaving some stickiness in the center (this will be the middle of your tie).
4. Wrap the small piece of tape around the center to make a bow!
You could stick a headband through it for a cute little hair accessory.
But since I don’t have a daughter who can wear a this, I made my little guy a bow tie!
I cut a long strip of duct tape, folded it in half and stuck it through the bow. I used a couple pieces of velcro on the ends so it could fit different neck sizes.
I was having so much fun with this, I went ahead and made a neck tie as well!
Here is how to make the neck tie:
1. Cut a long piece of duct tape (about 16 inches).
2. Fold the edges over at an angle as in picture #2.
3. Cut another piece of duct tape, the same length as your first and stick it on top. Flip it over and fold over the sticky edges.
4. Cut the bottom into a point.
Here is how to fold the top of the tie:
1. Fold top section behind at an angle.
2. Bring flap around and over top.
3. Fold the last little flap around to the back. Cut another small piece of duct tape. I like to fold the edges in for a cleaner look, but it’s not necessary.
4. Use it to tape the back in place. Tuck the tape in so you have a place to clip the tie. I used a snap clip barrette to clip it on my sons shirt.
After a little internet surfing, I found you can buy duct tape in MANY different colors and patterns on Amazon. Leopard print, damask pattern, argyle, paisley, stripes and more! Just think of the all the possibilities!
I think I might need to get crafty with this Skulls Printed Duct Tape for my boys.
And you could do so many things with this Hello Kitty Duct Tape for little girls!