Crochet Baseball Cap

When I saw Crochet Today was featuring a baseball hat pattern in their March/April issue, I decided to give it a go. Only problem was, I don’t actually subscribe to Crochet Today (yet!). But no problem, I have a wonderful pattern for a crocheted brimmed hat from Posh Patterns. I really liked how the brim has deep stitches, making it sturdier. I have made several brimmed hats from this pattern and its very to quick to work up and doesn’t take a lot of concentration. So all I really needed to do was make my brimmed hat in white and red and then make the baseball stitches. The hat was easy, the stitches were impossible! Maybe I am too much of a perfectionist, but I was seriously struggling to get those red baseball stitches even and going in the right direction. I re-did them at least 15 times and I’m still not happy with the way they look. If anyone has suggestions on how to make them line up correctly please leave a comment!

Here are some links to FREE crochet brimmed hat patterns that could be made into a baseball cap:
Vallieskids “Brim for BABY” – see how my version of this hat turned out HERE

Comments

I made this hat too! To line up the stitches I took a scrap piece of yarn, and threaded it loosely through the hat in the curve that I intended. As long as I kept the bottom of the V on the yarn curve, and the sides the same length, it came out pretty good. Here is a picture I snapped of it, but it isn't very good quality, I apologize: AJ's Baseball Cap.

Thanks so much for the great suggestion! Ironically, I suddenly had the idea of using a piece of template yarn late last night. It worked well! Your hat came out sooo much better than mine. Thanks for sharing!

Such a cute little hat. I have a little brimmed hat pattern that I think I am going to try this with! Thanks for the inspiration. Also thanks for sharing with us at Link It Up Thursday.

I happened to make a "baseball cap" for my grandson about two weeks ago. Tried everything to get the stitching to look somewhat realistic and in the right shape on the hat. My DH suggested I crochet a white applique in an hourglass-ish, figure 8-ish shape. Pinned it right to the hat and stitched it on, which gave it a more realistic "seam." Yep, the stitching itself is the tough part. Not really a "V", not really straight across the seam…the important part is taking your time and making them super-even like you did. I'm sure I spent as much time on the stitches as I did crocheting the entire hat.

Ok….I think I figured out an easier way to do the stitching…..flip the hat inside out and draw with a fabric marker where you want the stitches to run. Then, use the line as the bottom of the "V" stitch….and as long as you veer away from the mid-point the same distance and at the same angle it will turn out perfect every time. It worked for me anyway….hopefully this helps :)

Instead of using template yarn, I use sewing thread. It is so easy to remove and doesn't leave any fuzzies. I used a small bowl to shape where to put my stitches and to keep it even.

Do you do Video Tutorials? I am very new and I can follow along VERY well.. I really want to make this and I am not sure of some of the rows joins etc.. I know I know it's crazy to ya'll.. But I have made a few with the brim but for adults. I followed along. But I can't seem to find any for infants. I would LOVE to make this for my sister that's having her 1st baby. Her room is in the baseball theme..

Thanks for any and all help

I also struggled with getting the baseball stitches embroidered just right to suit me, but with a little patience and pulling out more stitches than i put in, i finally got it. Next time i will use a dressmakers colored pencil, and draw them on, then embroider over them