If you love pizza (and let's be honest who doesn't?!) then here is a fun crock pot version...a new twist on the traditional pie! This Crock Pot Pizza Casserole is one meal the whole family will love and real comfort food dish. It would also be a great for a potluck or perfect for busy families who might be eating at different times (the crock pot keeps it warm!). I hope you like it as much as we did!
- 1 1/2 lbs lean ground beef
- 1 onion diced (yes I bought pre-chopped onion. I am incredibly sensitive to onions and despise cutting them!)
- One package (or 1 cup) sliced mushrooms. I recommend fresh but in a pinch you could use canned.
- 8 ounce box of penne pasta noodles (or ziti or rigatoni). I used half of the box you see in the picture.
- 2 or 3 14oz jars of pizza sauce. I used 2 jars and thought it was great but a 3rd would make it a little saucier.
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic (I keep a jar of it in my fridge for easy cooking)
- 1 package of Hormel Turkey Pepperoni (you could use regular pepperoni but I prefer their Turkey pepperoni and it is 70% less fat! It's one of my favorite go-to snacks while following the Weight Watchers program)
- 16 ounce of shredded mozzarella. I used the reduced-fat version for a lower-calorie meal!
1. Saute onion, garlic and mushrooms together. Set aside and brown ground beef. Drain off grease and mix the two together.
2. Boil pasta for about 7 minutes. You want it to be undercooked so they don't get mushy in the crock pot.
3. Spray bottom and sides of crock pot with cooking spray and layer as follows: 1/2 of pasta, 1 jar of sauce, 1/2 meat mixture, 1 layer pepperoni, 1 layer of cheese, other half of pasta, 2nd jar of sauce, other half of meat mixture, another layer of pepperoni, a thick layer of cheese to cover everything and top it off with a couple more slices of pepperoni (just to make it look like a pizza!).
4. Cook on low for 3 hours.
Serve with a side salad or just by itself (because it pretty much covers all the major food groups!)
The kids loved it, including baby sister!